• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Almost ready for paint

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I have gotten about everything mocked up and starting to disassemble for paint. It has been a long road to this point but has been all in all a good time. I wanted to say thanks to a lot of people on here for information and motivation. Ken

Attachments

• body 3.jpg
    body 3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 187
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 173
  • trancase5 (2).jpg
    trancase5 (2).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 173
  • mock up1.jpg
    mock up1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 173
  • mock up2.jpg
    mock up2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 196
  • mock up4.jpg
    mock up4.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 189

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Excellent! What a journey. Are you going to paint it yourself?

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Great job Ken! I was in the same boat as you and finally after 5 yrs my rig is going to the alignment shop, and its time to drive the dam thing. Great color choice too, I knew I wanted to eliminate all signs of red and go with a green of some type, finally decided on limestone green.I tried uploading some pics but I don't know what the hell is wrong with this website, I used to be able to upload 5 or 6 pics no problem, now it won't upload shit. Very frustrating. Sorry bout the rant lol. ;)

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great job, Ken! Yeah, great color choice! When you get all the pieces and parts bolted back together, you should drive it to beautiful west Michigan!

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
I know the point you are at was there just a few months ago. I am weeks away from being ready for the road again. Started the rebuild engine for the first time today.
Congrats and enjoy the rest of your build. Look forward to seeing it done

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Just had mine painted. Thing I wish I had done....Mocked EVERYTHING up. Cut holes for clutch rod, emergency brake, and gas filler. Make sure doors line up with lock mechanisms installed, fit door seals. Drill all holes for tailgate. Just a few. Will post more when I think of them.

Will

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Looking great, really like the custom tire carrier. I’m going to build one like, some day.

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Just had mine painted. Thing I wish I had done....Mocked EVERYTHING up. Cut holes for clutch rod, emergency brake, and gas filler. Make sure doors line up with lock mechanisms installed, fit door seals. Drill all holes for tailgate. Just a few. Will post more when I think of them.

Will

Yes that is a good idea. I have spent all winter mocking everything up. It has been all assembled and everything fitted before I took it all apart. I think that is a very important part of a build. It makes it a lot easier when you begin reassembly after paint. Thanks again everyone for the kind words and advice. Ken

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
looking good. im a few weeks behind you. Mocking up is so important. i think ive had hydroboost etc in and out several times, engine harness, upper intake, you name it, its been in.

boxwood green is so nice. cant wait to see the final product

hank

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Bronkenn - I’m probably a couple months behind you...can you give me an idea how much time it took to sand/fill/prime and prepare the body panels?

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Bronkenn - I’m probably a couple months behind you...can you give me an idea how much time it took to sand/fill/prime and prepare the body panels?

I haven't started the paint prep yet. That is what is next. I am going to tackle a few parts at a time. Then I will do the body last. Ken

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cortez, I painted my own. I had what seemed like a hundred hours in prep but I was starting with some significant body damage and replaced cut outs. It will take longer than you plan for if only because as you progress you will get better and better at picking up discrepancies and you will get pickier and pickier. For block sanding use one of the really high fill primers, it's almost spray on body filler. Then block sand, guide coat, sand again until it's straight and flat. Final primer then color. Ken, are you using base/clear or single stage? Above all, enjoy the ride and don't cut corners or call it "good enough" or it will haunt you! Too much work to not be really happy when you're done.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Thanks - I have been researching the high build primer and figured it might be 100 plus hours. 80% new steel so hope it’s not too bad.

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Cortez, I painted my own. I had what seemed like a hundred hours in prep but I was starting with some significant body damage and replaced cut outs. It will take longer than you plan for if only because as you progress you will get better and better at picking up discrepancies and you will get pickier and pickier. For block sanding use one of the really high fill primers, it's almost spray on body filler. Then block sand, guide coat, sand again until it's straight and flat. Final primer then color. Ken, are you using base/clear or single stage? Above all, enjoy the ride and don't cut corners or call it "good enough" or it will haunt you! Too much work to not be really happy when you're done.

Mark, I am using base/clear on the body and a single stage on the roof. I did all my metal work before I epoxy primed and will do the final high build fill and block sand as I prep for paint. Ken