• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running a DC to a Bluetooth Receiver

pipeline010

Ok, so I've searched and searched trying to find an answer for this which usually means I'm so far off base that no one even bothers to ask or respond to such nonsense....but I digress.

I'd like to install a standalone bluetooth receiver and amplifier; I know this isn't new and has been done effectively.

But specifically I'd like to know if it's possible to connect a mini amp such as this under the seat and simply connect two side speakers and call it a day.

Amp/Receiver

The only issue I see to this is powering it, which leads me to my question:

As this is a DC powered unit, where's the issue in trying to connect this directly to my harness and skipping their ac/dc converter?

Attachments

• 71X66PAhYGL._SL1200_.jpg
    71X66PAhYGL._SL1200_.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 53

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My vintage boat I put a Bluetooth receiver and fed the signal straight into an amp. It works. Back in the 90's we would put the headphone jack into the inputs of the car amp. Didn't need that expensive head unit. but didn't have a radio either. But if you were cool it didn't matter since you were rocking the sony diskman and the collection of 10 CDs.

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

Thanks Rusty, that was exactly my thoughts as well (in addition to power dip frying the unit).

Any idea where I could find:

1. An inline hub unit with supplied fuse to prevent blowout.
2. DC jack to fit into the line from this unit?

For the price here I think I'm willing to be a little experimental. If this works it's a nice sounding system (2x50W) for under 50 bucks, shoved under the seat assembled in a waterproof box, and I can re-install a stocker stereo.

Modern head units are str8 up hideous.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The DC jack you probably have lying around at home in one of those wall transformer jacks everyone has lying around. If not got a radio shack or a Frys around? Inline hub unit I am not familiar with those terms.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
If the thing is designed to work anywhere from 9-24VDC, it obviously has some filtering built-in. So I'd just find the size of its power socket, buy the correct plug, and wire it up like any other 12V accessory, including a fuse:

(phone app link)

I would NOT attempt to seal it into a "waterproof" box; certainly not under the seat. If you're concerned about water, mount it high under the dash, like any radio would be.

(phone app link)

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

That works. PO had a cb radio in there, the wires still hanging about. I'll try sticking it right under there.