• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 box binding

jperry1290

I just installed my 4x4x2 box that I built from junk yard parts. I have yet to bleed the hydraulics. Today while checking all the steering clearances I noticed it has a slight binding feeling at dead center. None of the linkage is hitting anything. Is this normal for a non bled box with the engine off?

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There should be slight drag at dead center but not a binding. You can make an adjustment with the bolt on top of the sector shaft. Hold the bolt with a screw driver, back the jam nut off, back the bolt off a 1/4 turn, reset the jam nut and test. Small adjustments.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly. It's tighter on-center than the rest for a good reason, but that's why you adjust the preload in the center position.
There are specs hereabouts, on how many inch-pounds or whatever scale is used, on how to adjust the box.
Did you use shop instructions when assembling your parts?

Were you able to source all good parts out of your junkyard search? It's always possible that the components are worn beyond their service life.

Glad you checked it too. I've seen a lot of people just slap things together and not even verify that there were no binding issues with steering until they drove it.

Oh, and speaking of that... Sounds like the linkage is attached? If so I would disconnect the draglink from the pitman arm to make 100% sure that the little binding you're feeling is not coming from somewhere external to the box.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

I based the build on the West Coast Broncos write up. Maybe what I’m feeling is the slight drag, it’s not hard to turn just not as smooth as every other turn.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn’t fool with it then. Much easier to screw up than to fix.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe what I’m feeling is the slight drag, it’s not hard to turn just not as smooth as every other turn.

Maybe. But if you can feel it through the steering wheel, especially with all the linkage connected, it's too tight in my opinion.
But it's just that.... An opinion. I'm not a gearbox expert, so maybe one of the others can clear that up.
But never ignore something that seems wrong. I say good for you for feeling and questioning it!

Paul

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Steering and brakes and 2 things not to fool around with. If it's binding fix it. If it's slight drag at center that is normal.