• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH Electronic IVR and voltage gauge wiring

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Hello,
I am wrapping up refurbishing my gauge cluster and ran into a couple of questions. I installed WH's Precision Electronic IVR and have one small question which post does the ignition feed go to coming from the wiring harness. One post is a female spade post and the other is a male spade post on the IVR my other question is I replaced the factory ammeter gauge with one of WH's voltage gauges. To wire it I just need to attach an ignition feed to the post marked positive and ground the negative post to the cluster housing? Thank you in advance for helping me out with this.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct on the volt-meter connections. In fact, while you're also dealing with the IVR you can actually use the input side of the regulator to power the voltmeter.
Others have connected a dedicated wire from the center post of the ignition switch to the gauge, but you can use whatever switched source you feel like.
It's using minimal power to get a reading, so should not effect the function of anything else.

For the main regulator connections, the male terminal is usually the 12v input, and the female is out to the gauges.
Another way to tell is how it's mounted (it really fits only one way on the back of the cluster) the power connection is (I think?) on the driver's side, and the gauge feed is on the passenger side. But maybe someone can confirm that little bit of into before you run off and connect something!

Oh, and if you have the chance too before you install it (unless it's already done) you might check the output voltage to make sure it's on the money. They usually are, but I ran into a batch a couple of years ago that were only putting out 3.5v or so.
I turned the little knob-thingy until the reading was between 5 and 6 volts, and we were good. So checking never hurts...

Maybe someone can verify that it's supposed to be a specific voltage value, but I used to use 5v and I've heard 6v as the desired output. But I don't know 100% for sure.
Besides, gauges, wiring and sending units change over time too, so there's that too.
Maybe it comes down to just how the gauges read when it's all running.

That's what I looked at when I first adjusted my original mechanical points IVR. All the gauges were reading low, so I turned it until the temp and press gauges matched what other gauges were telling me. Worked great!

Paul

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
J1 (male) Terminal = 12 volt supply in
J3 (female) Terminal = regulated output

For your volt meter grounding it right to the housing should work fine. Test it first.

Jim