Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 05/17/18, 08:33 PM   #1
Blue71
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Johnson City, TN
Gear noise in drivetrain

i got a 69 Bronco 3 on tree, 302 running and driving that had sat for 26 years(1992). It drives really well other than clutch chatter. I have drivetrain/ gear whine in 1st and 2nd gears- but 3rd gear is normal with little to no noise at all. It sounds like Im driving in 4wd in 1st and 2nd, but I checked and shifter is in 2H, front driveshaft rotates freely by hand , hubs are unlocked and front axles rotate freely by hand as well. I changed all of the fluids before running and driving. All fluids were surprisingly new looking and all gear oil levels were full. Any idea what would cause this gear drivetrain noise? Im getting ready to put a new clutch in it so the tranny will be out...is there anything I should check ? Input bearing, etc?

Thanks,

Blue71

'69 Half Cab
'70 Wagon
'71 Stroppe Baja
'73 Sport
'74 Sport
'75 Wagon
'76 Explorer w/ Four Wheel Pop-up Camper
'77 Wagon
'77 Original Ranger, 76,000 mi

"Yes I Know, But When Do I Get To Drive That Thang"
Blue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/18, 08:40 PM   #2
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Input shaft bearing in the transmission. My guess anyway. Usually but not always.

In 3rd gear (for the 3-speed) it is 1:1 direct pass through. The gears and bearings are not loaded in 3rd gear. So it is quiet in 3rd.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
How hard can it be?-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/18, 10:02 PM   #3
Blue71
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Johnson City, TN
Thanks Broncobowsher....I’m putting that on my list to replace as we do the clutch next week. Is there just a bearing there? Does it have a race, seal, etc?

Thanks for the info.

Andy
Blue71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobowsher View Post
Input shaft bearing in the transmission. My guess anyway. Usually but not always.

In 3rd gear (for the 3-speed) it is 1:1 direct pass through. The gears and bearings are not loaded in 3rd gear. So it is quiet in 3rd.

Last edited by Blue71; 05/18/18 at 05:31 AM..

'69 Half Cab
'70 Wagon
'71 Stroppe Baja
'73 Sport
'74 Sport
'75 Wagon
'77 Wagon

Old 05/17/18, 11:43 PM   #4
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
The main input and output bearings are caged roller bearings. One piece and not usually pressed on tight. It's a tight fit, but Iv'e pulled and replaced them without resorting to pullers or presses.
I can't remember if the front has a lock ring on it that needs to be pulled to get it off the shaft, but the main retention is the "bearing retainer" which doubles as the shaft on which the throwout bearing slides. You've seen that part no doubt. Has four bolts and usually a gasket. Has a drainback notch in it that faces down.

It's possible that the loose roller bearings that fit at the interface between the input and output shafts, literally in the middle of the transmission, could make the noise as well. But that's a much bigger job obviously.
Once you have the box out and on the ground, if you do go that far, you should be able to feel if other things are not kosher.

That said, if you decide to pull the whole trans rather than do it in the vehicle, be aware that if you separate the intermediate housing from the back of the transmission, you need to lock the shift levers in place (first gear maybe? I don't remember) to keep the output shaft from pulling out too far and literally dropping those loose rollers into the bottom of the case.
It's a small task, but one that often gets overlooked and leads to a full tranny tear-down to put the bearings back in.
Have fun!

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/18, 11:47 PM   #5
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Oh, and while you're in the front of the thing, might as well change the shaft seal as well.
Part number of the front bearing "should be" a 208L.
Rear bearing "should be" a 207L
And the seal "should be" a 47499

I say "should" because I'm only 99% sure I'm right on that.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 05:34 AM   #6
Blue71
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Johnson City, TN
Paul,

Thanks a bunch for the great info. Will keep ya posted on my slow progress

Andy
Blue71

'69 Half Cab
'70 Wagon
'71 Stroppe Baja
'73 Sport
'74 Sport
'75 Wagon
'77 Wagon

Old 05/18/18, 05:48 AM   #7
tasker
Contributor
all knowing of nothing

It's a jeep thing? you're all morons

The granite state

My Gallery
Garage
Usually put a pint of simple green in the case too

tasker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 01:05 PM   #8
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
Pull the drive shaft and drive it on the front. That may isolate a rear drive issue. Make sure your transfer case shifter and linkage isnt rubbing on anything carrying sound up the shaft. I had an issue with a jshift once sending noise up the shaft.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech