• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard Top - Repair or Replace

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Curious what you all think I should do? I had my hardtop sandblasted and primed, but after seeing the pitting and rust through, I am debating if it makes sense to repair or just search for a better hard top from someone selling theirs (hopefully in Texas).

Attachments

• IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 246

suckerpunched

Casey I would replace it. However; I have seen a few guys take just the top skin with the side panels cut off. Bolted to the windshield frame and to back portion of their roll cage and run that instead of the soft bikini top. I kinda like concept myself.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I want to be able to daily drive the Bronco, so I need a full top. I would think I can find a used top in great condition for less than the cost of the repair panels?

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
My advise is to buy one in better shape,mine had rust and I couldn't repair it because the rust was too severe so I went with a soft top.I see used ones here all the time but how the heck can u ship one of these? And the cost to ship it would be more than the price of the top,shipping is getting ridiculous. :eek:

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
2 votes for replace. I think I am in agreement. Each side replacement panel is about $200 + shipping. So I would be in at $450 + to get this one back to decent shape. I bet I can find a decent one for around that amount. Or I could go a totally different route and get a soft top...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Lots of folks don't even run the hard top.. Cheaper to replace or go w/the soft top you to have a little more flexibility w/cover or no cover..

toddsrods

you could have it bed lined inside and out. would fill in the pitting.
and offer a nice sound deadening layer for a comfy drive.
and the textured look aint half bad.
did mine a couple years ago like that and really like it.
i even flopped it in a sand wash on the hard top last week, paint would have been destroyed, but the bedliner took it like a champ.

my $.02

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
I have decent half cab top except for one side. Where can I buy that single panel ? All I've seen are entire half cab top kits. Thanks.

NYC Bronco

It's not easy to find a good used top, I know from recently finding one across the country and having it shipped. I still plan to add a new headliner and have it repainted with fresh white.

the full top kit at tbp is $3150, then you have to put it together (can you weld?) and then paint it.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
It's not easy to find a good used top, I know from recently finding one across the country and having it shipped. I still plan to add a new headliner and have it repainted with fresh white.

the full top kit at tbp is $3150, then you have to put it together (can you weld?) and then paint it.

I can weld, but I am not a "body guy". I might have to become one depending on what I do here. The good part is the top is in good shape, it is the side windows that are in need of repair.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks Casey. A decent half cab top within my driving distance has been difficult to find. Shipping is the killer.