• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Flares

Dyehard

Can anyone identify my fender flares or suggest a new set that would line up closely with the existing rivet holes?

Attachments

• DSC03311.jpg
    DSC03311.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 294
OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

That's what I thought, but I wanted some verification. Thanks!

gotdads68

Contributor
I pulled a set of glass flares off my '70 and replaced them with the older Bushwacker vinyl ones and all the holes lined up so you're probably fine either way.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I pulled a set of 35 yr old plastic flares off and put a new set of fiberglass (bushwhacker or thats what the box said) flares on and holes lined up pretty good .

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I went with gorilla Warflares from WHs and drilled the holes in the flares to match the existing holes.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those look pretty small to me. If you are wanting big ol tires, then whats currently available probably will be fine. If you want to keep the small look, I make replicas of the Baja Bronco rear flares and those would likely be a closer fit.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, the fiberglass flares are still white. I assume Andrew's Baja flares are fiberglass and white as well?

As far as I know there are no more white plastic flares available. Bushwacker stopped making theirs in white many years ago. They still make the standard ABS black rear flares that look like a close match for the profile of the ones in Dyehard's pic.
They also make the newer version with the wider opening for more clearance as mentioned.
All the plastic ones are paintable though, when it comes down to it.

I like the look of the newer, larger opening ones myself. And they do fit larger tires with less rubbing, but you'll need to cut some more sheet metal. If you don't want to cut the openings more than they are, and you don't rub the front portion of the rear flare now, then the Baja ones mentioned or the standard fiberglass or standard Bushwacker would be your best bet.

Paul

Steve66

Loc.
Monument
Front flare cutouts

Hi - I also have these fiberglass (old) flares on the rear of my 66 and none on the front. I'd rather not cut the front qp's - is that necessary? I think there are non-fiberglass flares for the front that don't need cutting but that's just what I've heard. Insight appreciated.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Steve. Welcome!
Never heard of an Early Bronco flare that did not involve cutting. But they could exist and I just haven't noticed.
No, you do not "need" to cut the front if you don't want to. Why? Is yours needing some clearance for a tire that's rubbing? Or were you just curious?
Back in the day many, maybe even most, Broncos only got rear flares initially because the larger tire sizes at the time were all of 31 inches!%) So the front already fit those tires no problem if they were on stock wheels.

So the only reasons normally for a front cutout flare are:
1. You like the look.
2. You have a rubbing that just can't be fixed without cutting sheet metal.

For the look, I like stock, and I like double-cuts. Don't really think flares in the back quite have "the look" I like. It's ok (Broncos look pretty good no matter what actually) but I think front flares just give it that nice purposeful balance. Rugged an purposeful-wise that is.

For rubbing, if the tires and wheels are modest in size, you may just be rubbing the inner fender skirt. The factory left it extra long, but that extra lip isn't really needed. You often rub there with cut fenders with flares, because you're running a larger tire and cutting the inner lip is not needed to install the flares.
But if it rubs there you simply trim the excess off and nobody that isn't intimate with Broncos will ever know it's shorter than when it left the factory.

Paul

Steve66

Loc.
Monument
Thank you Paul -
it's been more than 25 years since I've driven it but doing body work on it now. I don't remember my huge 31's ;) rubbing at all. I'm likely going to get 33's. What I do remember is driving in the rain or worse, mud and a lot of spray coming off the front tires onto the windshield. ..also I like the balanced look.

The other thing is that I can get rear fiberglass flares that will fit the existing rear cutouts. I don't have the measurements handy (they're online..) but wondering if there are non-fiberglass flares that would be more durable that will fit into those cutouts? Not sure if you know that but thought I'd try you.

thanks again!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I kind of misspoke about the fronts. Just that there are no pre-molded flares. Plenty of universal ones, mostly made of rubber, that can be fitted to the opening to widen it a bit.
Better to keep the wheels tucked in as much as possible I think. But even that might not be enough in itself to keep the spray off the windshield completely.
I don't think the rubber ones I've seen are easily fitted to the sheet metal the way a Bronco's is formed. And I also don't think they look very complementary. Either to the way the rears are with flares, or even just to the body itself. But that's a personal "style" opinion rather than a functional one.
I've just never had that issue with spray, but I also live where it's mostly dry most of the time.

For durability, the fiberglass flares are actually quite robust. As long as they're not impacted by something, they rarely fail even with age. The worst that can be said is that they crack a little around the rivets. But the weaker plastic ones did that even sooner than glass did. The later generations of plastic (usually ABS) don't stress crack near as much as they did in the seventies to early eighties, but "might" still have that issue with extended use. Not sure yet.

Most of our modern plastic flares are designed to create as big of an opening for tires as possible. But Bushwacker still makes their original size, which mimics the old glass flares pretty good. In fact, when I first replaced my original fiberglass rear flares (installed by the original owner or selling dealer in '71) in the early nineties, the Bushwackers not only fit the same opening, but all the holes lined up almost perfectly.
Still available, we sell them as our part #5625. Black only of course, but made of their newest Duraflex (ABS base) and still to the original profile.
With so many brands of fiberglass out there thirty years ago, it's hard to guarantee that the current Bushwacker will fit yours as good as it did mine, but at least it's a better chance than anything else on the market. Even some fiberglass ones I would imagine.

Good luck. Either way you go though, I don't think you could go wrong with either glass or plastic. If you intend to off-road much (or bounce around parking lots looking for shopping carts to bash?) go with plastic. If you don't see your truck being hit with any tree branches, cattle fences, or rocks anytime soon, and prefer white without having to paint, fiberglass should be just fine.

Paul

Steve66

Loc.
Monument
OK,
thank you again Paul. I'll just see what lines up. I'll look at the Bushwhackers with that part # on your site and just start by trying to match up the rear. I'd prefer the plastic but when I went off road a lot, I never did manage to crack the fiberglass flares so I suppose those would be fine.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions and write down your thoughts, I really appreciate it!

Steve