• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Official Build Thread - Nardo Grey Frame Off

Jc.av8r

Our project is finally rolling forward now after a few months of initial ownership and some minor work along the way.

I gave a brief intro previously with a few pictures of my new-to-me and first ever EB. Picked her up for $7K from a friend and go to work stripping it down right away. I sold the top, gutted the interior and installed a new TBP Stage 8 3.5" suspension kit and disc power brakes.

My fiance and I decided to hold off on any additional work for the rest of Summer and early Fall so we could enjoy driving around in it a bit more, and last week I finally dropped her off (the truck, not my fiance) at our restoration shop. I'm having most of the work contracted out as I simply don't have the time and resources to get this project done on my own. We are going to do a full Resto-Mod project to give new life back to our EB, which we have tentatively named "Betty". The end vision is clear in my mind and I'm excited to document the build with you guys and get some feedback and advice along the way. For now, here are a few pics of the progress so far. Enjoy!

When I picked her up:

dmehjKB.jpg

jetSt5x.jpg

ZyaN7us.jpg

KXPkV21.jpg

Interior stripped:

Bk89b69.jpg

The entire drivers side floor panel is gone and had this sheet metal put in it's place and painted over. Definitely not safe! We will end up replacing the entire interior floor.

MwkP2qB.jpg

Here's how she looked when I dropped her off:

030OPFC.jpg

And the first few shots of the tear down underway. I don't know much of anything about the full history of this truck, but she's obviously been owned by some more careless individuals that did a lot of half-hazard cover up work. I'm sure it's a bit typical, but the deeper we go the more we find unfortunately. Certainly a lot of work to do! I worry that the frame might have a slight bend, but I'm told this can be pressed out? ...still too early to give a full assessment but I remain optimistic. She'll take a lot of time, money, and TLC, but we will get there!

8cV3aE1.jpg

fT7QKcQ.jpg

7wm2dmv.jpg

u4qBKY5.jpg

poDbN1P.jpg

hNQimwg.jpg

t8mpmYz.jpg

BXOSlM9.jpg

Happy to answer questions and I'll continue to post updates as they are available....

Cheers,
JC

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good luck JC, Seems like a great starting point for ya.

One step at a time right

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You may want to get a good estimate on all the body work that is needed and then look at one of the new tubs that is coming out, it may save some time and $ depending on what all is needed. It doesn't take long to exceed the price of a new tub, which was close to $8500, when you have a body shop start replacing panels and doing all the body work that is needed and still not have a totally rust free body. Here is a link to the new tub being discussed on here
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246856

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

You may want to get a good estimate on all the body work that is needed and then look at one of the new tubs that is coming out, it may save some time and $ depending on what all is needed. It doesn't take long to exceed the price of a new tub, which was close to $8500, when you have a body shop start replacing panels and doing all the body work that is needed and still not have a totally rust free body. Here is a link to the new tub being discussed on here
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246856

Thanks for the link. We'll have to see what makes the most sense once a full assessment is made. Right now I don't think it would be much cheaper, if at all, to buy a brand new tub at $8,500. That sounds like a baseline price, and doesn't account for tax, shipping, re-assembly, etc. I've got a good rate worked out right now so I think we'll be in under that but....nothing is certain! Nice to have the option for consideration...

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Planning to rebuild our 302 and upgrade to a Novak 3550 5spd manual.

Anyone else have this combination? I understand the 3550 should be a good match to a 302. Tom's Bronco Parts sells a tranny+adapter kit. For our intended use it seems like the most logical route...

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

More progress photos.

Body is off the frame and on the rotisserie. You can see from previous photos that the front clip was falling (rotting) apart and not strong enough to support itself so a custom brace was fabbed.

Pretty extensive work needed on patching and replacing bodywork. Will know more once it's blasted. She definitely was not cared for very well by her previous owner(s). Won't be the case from now on!

Fu1H2xO.jpg

66ARfYE.jpg

Dwg8mAi.jpg

yakPnJl.jpg

5dHUmlg.jpg

CIO0Bzh.jpg

sj8EPDi.jpg

PGTtNtE.jpg

ttYRIfl.jpg

krUr3nX.jpg

vmPzKyT.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Update as of 1/28/2015

Body is back from the blasters. Looks about like what I expected to find... vertical pillars on the rear tailgate probably need replaced, along with the entire floor and some healthy patching in other areas--all what I had expected and planned for.

Front cowl looks better than I had expected it to so that is good. The floor pan support cross rails and both doors are in good shape too.

Next steps will be cutting out the holes and buying necessary replacement bodywork and start patching and shaping.

IGRKheg.jpg

3EVd7hR.jpg

NTFI86O.jpg

DHXlL1S.jpg

7zqfC9Q.jpg

5fZgQwG.jpg

RkGDOtA.jpg

Vertical pillar on tailgate:

itDp3qS.jpg

5dBUi8s.jpg

ExhYCCW.jpg

k7yXP0U.jpg

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Looking good so far and typical of this vehicle for body issues.

Lots of people on here have the NV 3550 transmission and I have heard nothing but good about it. That is what I have for my current project.

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Looking good so far and typical of this vehicle for body issues.

Lots of people on here have the NV 3550 transmission and I have heard nothing but good about it. That is what I have for my current project.

Thanks.

Yeah - looking OK so far. Really nothing beyond what I had expected to find so we're in a good spot. The vision is clear now time to materialize it!

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Here's some better pictures now that it's out of the trailer.

New sheet metal / body work has all showed up. You can see some of the new parts lying on/around/under the body.

ho49Acb.jpg

rEq33xQ.jpg

Fanx4II.jpg

Q99pj1C.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Nice work! Looks like a few areas of swiss cheese but not that bad! should be a good project to follow.

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

I'll get some better pictures loaded in the next couple weeks. Had a few unexpected financial obligations come up so I'm a little stressed now and trying to figure out how I will get the body finished up in a reasonable amount of time.

For sure now I will have to wait to overhaul the drive-train and frame. Oh well....Rome wasn't build in a day, right?

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Well things are slowly coming along. Unfortunately after tax season and some other expenses I am now really tight on cash so that is bottle necking my progress. I've accepted the fact that this thing won't be ready this summer and my aim is to now take my time and have this project completed by Spring of 2016.

There's still quite a bit of labor needed to get the body ready for paint, but at least she's looking more like a Bronco now. Gaps and shaping need to be corrected, roll bar, driver and passenger floors and rocker panels put in, and then we'll be just about ready for paint.

I've decided to bite the bullet on a new NV3550 5-speed now instead of later, mostly because I don't want to have to make adjustments to the floor cutouts for the shifter down the road. My 302 runs fine, just needs some cleaning, a carb adjustment and probably a new ignition system, but at least I have a good runner!

The journey is long but will be worth it in the end. Here she is as of 5/13/2015:

YQ9RMEr.jpg

5hU1U4u.jpg

ee5CVUN.jpg

4AlhU3D.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Welding is finished! New floor and rockers are in just need to cut the fenders and install the flares and we'll be just about ready for prep + paint.

Just ordered a new NV3550 transmission so waiting on that to ship and install will keep us busy for the next few weeks. Still a ways to go but it feels good to have the really labor intensive body work complete! Done with one chapter and onto the next basically...

4lWgvt8.jpg

aojm34K.jpg

SGqlS2w.jpg

DTkuh37.jpg

3bImxbo.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Wire wheeled the frame and coated in POR while the body is off. Looks wayyyy better. Still need some new axles but I'll have to kick that can down the road for a while.

Body is still priority for now, slow progress through the summer with other things going on. The dream is slowly coming together though!

Au19VFt.jpg