• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

drive line slack

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, I have NP435/Dana 20 to the 9 inch with Detroit locker. With it in gear I can lay under it and get about a full inch of rotation with the drive shaft. U-joints are all good. Is it the Dana 20 that is finally getting worn out? If I don't feather out the clutch I can feel the clunk from the slack.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
If it was me, I would pull the driveshaft and check the play on the rear axle pinion and check the output pinion on the t case and see where the most play is. That should give you a good idea where to start looking for the problem.

Good luck!

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You might want to inspect the splines on the drive shaft as well, I can't imagine them getting that loose but you never know. Also did you check the double cardan joint and the centering joint on the shaft on the t case side. Sometimes that ball or the post gets worn or broken and causes some slack as well.
Just another though on my end, Good luck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Detroit lockers are known for adding their own internal play to the rear end. So what you're feeling at the back is not necessarily wear and tear in the ring-n-pinion backlash department.
But that does sound like a bit for the D20. Don't remember how much is normal, but here again I don't believe that they're super tight like you might expect.

Someone that really knows what's up will fill in the blanks.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If it was me, I would pull the driveshaft and check the play on the rear axle pinion and check the output pinion on the t case and see where the most play is. That should give you a good idea where to start looking for the problem.

Good luck!

Yeah, prob best place to start

Good luck Thom

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input. Dropping the shaft and seeing which end is sloppy is a good start. I'm off for a 5th wheeling weekend this morning but will check this out on Sunday night and report.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You must have been doing this on flat ground. Because if there were any grade there would be a load on the driveshaft and that would take up any slack.

Yes there is going to be backlash. Every set of gears, every splined shaft, they all add up. Any single one will be barely noticeable, but they will stack up into something noticeable.

And the Detroit locker has a lot of play in it. Between the teeth and the ramps it has to have play in it for the mechanism to work. That play is multiplied by the gear ratio. With a low set of gears, everything set up right, I've seen nearly a quarter turn of the driveshaft between reverse and drive (loaded each direction with an automatic).

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yep my soft locker with 4.11 gears has close to a 1/4 turn with driveshaft removed. But the shaft with the tranny in park hooked up to the rear has very little movement.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
A 1/4-1/3 of a turn from the pinion is normal with a Detroit. An 1" of play in the trans/tcase wouldn't really concern me either if there are no bad noises and externally everything checks out

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe I will leave well enough alone. The Detroit doesn't have that many miles on it and I had the Dana apart to do the twin stick thing about the same time I added the Detroit. I will double check the joints once more for good measure.

Thanks,