• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suspension Overhaul

jdeignan

Alright, I’ve reached suspension on my Bronco project list.
One issue- I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to shocks coils etc.
What I know: My Bronco isnt a crawler- just my beach cruiser. But it rides pretty terrible. The shocks dont have bushings and they clank around. It seems like the truck just rides on coils- and bump will send a shockwave throughtout the vehicle and its a great ab workout if youre driving her.

I have no idea what setup is on there but it looks pretty stock.
The puck between the frame and the tub leads me to believe I have a body lift.

Do I start with shocks? (goal is a smoother ride)
What size shocks do I get? I like the current ride height.
Is there any other component that may solve my issue first?

Pics:
Body Lift? https://ibb.co/m8D3NR
Suspension setup https://ibb.co/kVAB96
Profile View https://ibb.co/ddzD6m

Forgive my newbness!

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
I wouldn't say that's a body lift. That looks like new body mounts but they are about the stock thickness.

I will be paying attention to this post because suspension is high up on my list. I can totally relate to hitting a pebble and it feels like shockwaves. Mine is a street ride so I need something more comfortable.

The vendors sell some pretty good suspension kits that seem to be full replacements. I'll probably go that route but interested in what others say.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I am on my third set of front springs, and I feel they were all to stiff and truck like. Stock, Duff 2 1/2" lift variable rate and now WH 3 1/2" Rock crawler. I've used rancho 5000 shocks and Duff off road shocks.
This spring I'm going for a set of Bilstiens.
I can't tell from the picture if your strut arm bushings are rubber or poly. If you want to soften the ride go with rubber on the strut arm .
Poly on the C bushings is fine because it is not really a moving part.
Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock body mount height is 3/4" or so. Agree with the others that yours look like stock height poly replacements.
The harder poly material (as opposed to rubber) is likely not helping with your comfort, but once you dial in the suspension you will hardly notice the difference in the body cushions.

Hard to tell about the suspension, other than it's older and has been painted over. Almost looks lifted by the spring, but the profile pic is hard to tell.
Measure the distance between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rail front and rear. Anything over 7" in the front and 6" in the rear is your lift. Within a half an inch or so.

The coils are single-rate with a somewhat thick wire diameter it looks like from the pic. Any of the variable rate coils will give you an initially better ride than what you have, but the shocks play a crucial role in that perceived comfort. They work as a set and no way around that with a stock setup.

For street ride quality the two shocks that get the most positive reviews are the Duff shocks and the Bilstein shocks. In my personal experience, the Bilsteins have the slight advantage. And more people have expressed positive feedback here regarding the Bilsteins lately as well.
And yes, part of that is that many of us have been pushing them. But the results speak for themselves. A 95% satisfaction range is not too shabby! Those that think they're not the shock for them typically state that the fronts are a little softer than they'd like. So that as well, does not detract from their comfort. Just their handling for some.
I've had soft shocks as well, that were too soft, and the Bilstein's still feel "smoother" as in, less harsh and less input from the small bumps.

I'm one of those that the standard valving is not perfect for, with my 2.5" WH lift and, most important I believe, a heavy winch and bumper combination hanging off the front. But my feelings are that they're still the best set of shocks I've had on a Bronco in the last almost 42 years. So there's that...

For the rear, do you have any good images of the leaf springs? They're not all created equal, and the stock originals leave a lot to be desired in the comfort area. They were actually pretty well thought out for their day. But we have much better for most situations nowadays, so you might decide to upgrade the rear as well.

If nothing else, whichever shock you go with, at least you'll get new bushings!
Same for the leaf springs if they're older. Even those can make a difference.

So let us know what kind of height you're dealing with now. Whether it's stock or lifted, and we can go from there.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Anything over 7" in the front and 6" in the rear is your lift. Within a half an inch or so.

For the rear, do you have any good images of the leaf springs?

Paul

Ah- the reply I was secretly waiting on!
Front- 10 inches
Rear- 8 inches
Leaf spring pics attached.

Seems like I will be getting an entire system. I think I can swing the coils and shocks in my garage.. leaf springs seem like they might be a bigger project.. no?

New bushings will be nice.. am I crazy to be hesitant to replace the C bushings? I dont have a bronco lean and she drives straight as an arrow... Do I risk screwing that up by messing with the radius arms?

https://ibb.co/iHJb96
https://ibb.co/kiwUU6
https://ibb.co/n3S3p6

Thanks!

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd go with shocks first and see how you like the ride. I put Bilsteins on my DD (3500 Ram SRW) at around 30K miles and it was night and day. My buddy has the same truck and ordered a set for his truck after driving my truck. Bilstein knows how to make a shock. Wildhorses seems to have great support and knowledge. I'd give them a call and talk to them about your setup.

I have the Duff 70/30 shocks on my truck and they are fine. Pretty economical shock. I run duals on all four corners. They came with my suspensions system. I'm not looking for ride quality as much as keeping the front from bottoming out. I have used my bumpstops. My ultimate goal is to go with a higher quality shock than what I'm running. I started a thread on it some time ago and got some great feedback. Bilsteins and air bumps would probably work for me. Just need the funds...

I may be wrong but your rig looks like it has the shock mounts a lot of people are using with the Bilsteins. I believe they are F250 mounts?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
As suggested, starting with 4 new shocks should be a big improvement - then some test driving and evaluation.
I know you said the shock bushings are gone or maybe deteriorated to the point of being gone and you have some clunking... but one question based on the "kVAB96" photo: on the front shocks, is the nut tight on the top threaded stud? I'm not sure what kind of rubber bushings are on your shocks but they don't look to be compressed like they should be.

There should be 2 rubber bushings, 2 large cupped washers and one hex nut. The bushings are on each side of the shock tower mount and the cupped washers sandwich the bushings - then the nut threads onto the stud and compresses the bushings. The cupped washers prevent the rubber from squeezing out as they are compressed.

If by some chance the nut(s) are not tight, that could be partly responsible for the clunking. If the eyelet bushings at the bottom of the shocks are gone, then that will definitely cause clunking and they need to be replaced.

DJs74

OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Yeah I think I am going to start with 4 Bilsteins once I find the correct size. Will those come with the new bushings?

WRT the bushings: yeah man, the whole setup is messed up.
I am pretty sure the shock is literally there for aesthetics only... It doesnt extend or compress, and therefore doesnt limit the spring movement at all. I’m guessing the spring is for a 2.5” lift, but the PO didnt get shocks that fit.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Yeah I think I am going to start with 4 Bilsteins once I find the correct size. Will those come with the new bushings?

Yes, new shocks should include all the necessary bushings and hardware required for installation.

DJs74

STalon89

Get the Bilstein 2.5" lift kit from wild horses. Youll be happy with it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks jd. Appreciate it. Be VERY interested to hear how they work with your setup especially, because it's a little different from what most customers are working with.
Most of the newer Bilstein users are also setting up with the softer springs at the same time. Be good to know if you can still feel as much of a difference with the stiffer springs.

I'm thinking that your rear springs are likely very harsh riding, compared to the newer stuff. They look to be an older "original type" with more arch and an add-a-leaf. Definitely known to be a stiff combination, but it is hard to say exactly what brand they are.
They should still benefit from the better shock.

Good luck.

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Since you are in Cali, and by the looks the suspension is stock height, I would look at a Wild Horses get their premium kit in the height you want. New bushings and springs make a huge ride quality difference. We don't build a bronco without replacing the old tired springs for a reason.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I too would go with the WH suspension.

The 2 1/2" lift with Bilsteins is VERY nice. Add new bushings and an Adjustable Trac Bar and maybe some extended axle brake lines and you are set.

It is recommended to replace your current C-Bushings with the new lift.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Hi, I am on my third set of front springs, and I feel they were all to stiff and truck like. Stock, Duff 2 1/2" lift variable rate and now WH 3 1/2" Rock crawler. I've used rancho 5000 shocks and Duff off road shocks.
This spring I'm going for a set of Bilstiens.
I can't tell from the picture if your strut arm bushings are rubber or poly. If you want to soften the ride go with rubber on the strut arm .
Poly on the C bushings is fine because it is not really a moving part.
Good luck

You will REALLY notice the difference when you ditch the Rauncho's...last a long time but aren't built for ride quality.... Bilsteins all the way for a nice street ride...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hated all my Ranchos other than the 9000's. Felt they were only OK for my needs, but the best at the time.

Ran Rough Country, Burbank, Gabriel Adjustable-E's and Baja's, as well as Rancho 1000's, 5000's, 7000's and 9000's. Had WH shocks on my '68 for awhile, and they rode as well as any of the above, but lacked a bit of control and ability to make tiny bumps disappear.
So far the Bilstein's have the best street ride and control combination. Little bumps mostly go away, and big ones feel very controlled. In spite of them being just a tick soft on the front right now. With the winch and bumper probably doing their part in that equation.
Just a little soft of perfect from my perspective, but the rears are sweet.
Might be better ones out there, but I've not driven them yet.

For springs, the stock ones really sucked, with and without the air bags. I just didn't know it until later.
The Rough Country 2" springs were horrible and I had to get rid of them fairly quickly.
The Moog Cargo-Coil 1.75" springs were the softest and least obtrusive. I just needed more lift than that.
Right behind those were/are were the WH 3.5's that are still on my '71.

The 2.5's on my '68 feel about the same from a smoothness standpoint. Which follows, since the spring rates are very close anyway.
Very hard to tell, looking back, just how much of the worst rides were shock-vs-spring related. But I'm pretty happy with the current combinations compared to those days.
Could it ride smoother? Probably... Just have not gotten to that combination yet.

Paul

OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Night and day difference- Bilsteins had cryptic directions, but it wasnt terribly difficult to figure out.
Ride is great! Thanks WH

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Geez Paul, I didn't know anybody tried every type of shock out there...I'd run all those except the Burbank?

I'm sure you've run something from Monroe...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the $5.99 Sears "Heavy Duty" shocks were probably made by Monroe!
Then again, so were the Ranchos, so there is that side of the Monroe coin.
My best bud with his '72 Explorer had Monroe Load-Levelers (the ones with the coil spring) on all four corners and Gabriel Adjustable E's up front in the dual position.

I hate to say it, but that was one of the best riding, best handling Broncos I've been around! Surprising how well it rode with all those extra helper springs running around underneath it.
Then again, we were just 18 or 19 at the time, so I suppose my tolerance for stiff rides was at a higher level at that point. But it did actually ride pretty good, without a lot of drama or noise or rattling or leaning into corners or jouncing around when running up washboard roads.
Seemed like it struck a decent balance.

The biggest issue he had was keeping the upper stud on the front-most mount from breaking off the mount.

Paul