• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rarest Bronco?

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Wondering what is the rarest bronco that is still around? After doing some research today, I know that the u13's are getting there... And from what I read, in 1968 there were only 212 u13's made. Then if you add options on top of those, like the straight 6 or the 289, that number drops fairly quick i would imagine... And then how many of those 212 are still around?

The only other one I know of is the Stroppe broncos... I counted 134 in the Baja Bronco Registry, but that is form 1971-1975...

Not saying this is fact, just what I have been looking at today, and looking for more info...

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
To me, rarest would be one of the one offs like Big Oly. Would have to be something special one off or like the first one built still around or maybe the last one off the assembly line in 1977. What would constitute "rarest", The Balloon Chase vehicles? Would it have to be a Ford sanctioned type vehicle?

I don't know that there is a definition of "rarest". It isn't like Chevy and the Vette, where you had a year where Chevy put a full aluminum engine in like 12 vehicles only. Did Ford stick any 427 side oilers in any Broncos offered for sale to the public?

Our trucks are so modified (mostly), not sure what would constitute "rarest".

OP
OP
carter2772

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Great points, and I agree! Like i said, I was just doing some digging, and curious what people thought... The more I learn about the history of the early broncos, the more I want to learn about the details!

matts460

I think your on the right track the rarest in genral could be just what was made in the lowest numbers back in the day. Roadsters would be at the top of that list or mabey the military spec bronco's there is some info about those on here.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
'68 U13 would be my guess for factory produced vehicles. As was mentioned the balloon chasers and any other regional specials that were created after they left the factory would be up there - how many Denver Broncos were produced?

I've e-mailed back and forth with a local guy who supposedly has a '68 U13. He had no idea what he had until I told him. No clue if he still has it or not now that he knows it's rare.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
For some reason the Denver Bronco doesn't seem to get much respect. I think there were fewer of the Denver's than the 1968 roadster.

My opinion for the rarest would be the 1 of 1 Stroppe prepped Ballon Chase Ambulance.

kntr

Bronco Guru

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As far as factory built Broncos, near the top of the list would be factory V-8 roadsters (numbers for the "N' code U13s about the 200 units mark) and the last of the U14 made in 1971 and 1972. The Sport U14s seem to be some of the more rare Broncos.

kntr

Bronco Guru
he doesn't need the money then,

Nope, he does not. There were only 77 Denver Broncos and his is 1 of 2 with the options it has. The other one has been crushed. Id say that makes its pretty rare... if you are a Denver fan.

635132329302346560.jpg

thumb_001_370_277.jpg

Last edited:

gray gables

Nope, he does not. There were only 77 Denver Broncos and his is 1 of 2 with the options it has. The other one has been crushed. Id say that makes its pretty rare... if you are a Denver fan.

635132329302346560.jpg
I'm a Pats fan, cool bronco though.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
My opinion for the rarest would be the 1 of 1 Stroppe prepped Ballon Chase Ambulance.

what about the one Rocky Roads hacked up?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

There's a lot of aftermarket and modifications on that Denver. I think it's value as a "1 of 2" is greatly decreased by it all.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of ways to think about this as some of you have hinted at. Rarest by model, like a 68 U13 is among that figure. Then rarest by options - I recently saw a black 77 Ranger with Avocado green interior....gotta be few of those. Then there's rare by history, like the Balloon Chase Ambulance which started life as a regular Ranger off the assembly line. I also have a first week of 68 production Bronco sold new at Ken Roggy Ford (huge west coast Bronco dealer at the time), and competed in every Baja race starting with the first in 1967 and doing all of them thru 77. It's rare among surviving vehicles that completed the very first Baja 1000 in 67. Plus I don't think another Bronco competed in all the Baja races 67-77. So. Lots of different "rare".