• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer OBD2 Harness Re-work

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks Gary. I was trying to figure out what I needed to do to get the evap hooked up. I didn't have much luck finding a wiring diagram. I might just swap the pins.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Thanks Gary. I was trying to figure out what I needed to do to get the evap hooked up. I didn't have much luck finding a wiring diagram. I might just swap the pins.

It's been a while and my memory stinks, but I thought I put a plug for a purge valve in the rear of your engine harness...?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's been a while and my memory stinks, but I thought I put a plug for a purge valve in the rear of your engine harness...?
There is a plug but it doesn't match any purge valve I'm used to. I'd like to use a mustang type valve. uploadfromtaptalk1442882782216.jpg

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
There is a jumper harness that plugs in to what you have pictured and plugs in to the purge solenoid on the other side. You can harvest it from almost any 90's era V8 Ford car or truck.

FH-034-Md.jpg

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
I'm going to start you all off with a little video. It covers the very basics of a harness re-work. I'll add a full write up here with pictures covering pin numbers, wire colors, etc...as time allows.

[youtube]RaY-9v-SO_0[/youtube]

Gary, Is there a way for me do download and save the video file? If there is on this forum of youtube, I'm to old to figure it out. Thx, Derek

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Gary, Is there a way for me do download and save the video file? If there is on this forum of youtube, I'm to old to figure it out. Thx, Derek

Kind of depends on which web browser you use.

If you use Firefox there is an add-on to download flash and video.

If you use Chrome, Google owns YouTube and blocks downloading from it.

IE?

Safari?

I have no idea.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can always just book mark the video and watch it over and over? What was your goal?

Green_Bastard

The following are PCM pin numbers that can be removed if you have no use for their function. Keep in mind not all harnesses will have all of these pins used and take note of any foot notes (like***)before you pull wires. Any PCM wires not in this list MUST be kept!

12- Yellow/White
56- Lt Green/Black
62- Red/Pink
67- Purple/white***

*** On later harnesses where pin 41 is purple, I like to put pin 67 Purple/white in its place. There is another purple wire that we will use so doing so can eliminate the duplicate color and avoid confusion***

Hi Garry,
I'm looking for a little clarification on this part just to make sure I don't mess it up. If I'm understanding this right, I remove the purple/white wire from pin 67 of the PCM plug, and plug it into pin 41, removing the purple wire from it. I'm guessing I also remove the purple wire from pin 41 altogether from the harness. Does this sound right

Thanks again for your help
Jim

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Correct.

The reason for it is so that you don't confuse it with the other purple wire (pin 13).

Green_Bastard

Correct.

The reason for it is so that you don't confuse it with the other purple wire (pin 13).

Ok, after thinking about this more, do I swap it on the C115 connector as well and if so, do you know the pin number on the C115? I removed the purple wire completely before I thought about that

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Ok, after thinking about this more, do I swap it on the C115 connector as well and if so, do you know the pin number on the C115? I removed the purple wire completely before I thought about that

Nope. You only need to swap it at the PCM. Then just remember that purple/white is now your A/C or high idle circuit.

Green_Bastard

Nope. You only need to swap it at the PCM. Then just remember that purple/white is now your A/C or high idle circuit.

Thanks for all your help again! That's what I initially thought but wanted to make sure. My engine harness is now complete. Any idea when you'll be able to post info on the firewall harness?

jmart52

EGR:

47- Brown/Pink - +++
63- Orange/ Yellow
65- Brown/Lt Green

On my connector the number 63 pin is blocked out. I dont have a orange/yellow wire. Is there another color in later harnesses? Where does that wire go?

Thanks

Green_Bastard

EGR:

47- Brown/Pink - +++

63- Orange/ Yellow

65- Brown/Lt Green

On my connector the number 63 pin is blocked out. I dont have a orange/yellow wire. Is there another color in later harnesses? Where does that wire go?

Thanks

My 98 harness didn't have it either but Garry mentioned in post #2 that some of the wires mentioned were not in all harnesses so I'm guessing that's one of them.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, Garry! Just had an explorer engine and harness given to me. Rats have gotten to the harness so it needs a little patching up, but nothing I can't handle. When I do this rework, I want to leave the ac in original operation. Do I need to mess with the purple and purple/white wires or leave them alone?

JoshT

Garry, thanks for making this available to us. Subscribing so I'll remember to check out the next video. Take your time and keep taking care of the family.

Last edited:

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
I'm going to start you all off with a little video. It covers the very basics of a harness re-work. I'll add a full write up here with pictures covering pin numbers, wire colors, etc...as time allows.

[youtube]RaY-9v-SO_0[/youtube]

Wow, great video. Thank you for taking the time to do this, this is a big help!

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
EGR:

47- Brown/Pink - +++
63- Orange/ Yellow
65- Brown/Lt Green

Thanks

My 98 harness didn't have it either but Garry mentioned in post #2 that some of the wires mentioned were not in all harnesses so I'm guessing that's one of them.

Correct. 2 different types of EGR were used, so you likely only have one or the other.

When I do this rework, I want to leave the ac in original operation. Do I need to mess with the purple and purple/white wires or leave them alone?

You don't NEED to, but I would. It just helps to keep from confusing the 2 purple wires.