• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedo gear?

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What speedo gear do I need for 35" tires 456 gears and ZF transmission ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Viperwolf has a handy Bronco correct speedo gear chart.
Transmission does not matter, only diff gearing and tire size. And the big unknown, which DRIVING tooth count is on the transfer case output shaft. Either 7 or 8 tooth, and that makes a HUGE difference in which driven gear you need on the speedo cable.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viperwolf has a handy Bronco correct speedo gear chart.
Transmission does not matter, only diff gearing and tire size. And the big unknown, which DRIVING tooth count is on the transfer case output shaft. Either 7 or 8 tooth, and that makes a HUGE difference in which driven gear you need on the speedo cable.

6 or 7 tooth drive gear.

Attachments

• speedo gear chart.JPG
    speedo gear chart.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 389

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Has anyone yet determined the rhyme or reason that FoMoCo had between using the 6 or 7 tooth drive gear?

And does anyone know when they went from a steel drive gear to the green plastic?

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Found this thread on a search, but looks like the right guys are on it to answer my questions.

My speedo was doing the Bronco dance for a while, then just stopped working all together. I don't really care about that, but I do care that my odometer isn't working either. So does this gear go in at the Speedo housing? Or at the Transfer case? Can't really find much on the subject -- starting to troubleshoot to see what I've got to do to fix the problem. Thx

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The gear is in the transfer case. The non working speedometer and odometer could be the gear, the cable, or the cluster itself.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Where are these gears available for purchase?
I would be surprised if you couldn't get them from Ford parts. Most Ford model specialty parts places (mustang, cougar, etc) carry them. There are 2 types of gears, those for auto trans and those for manual trans and transfer cases. You want the manual trans type. Its shorter.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is also left and right hand spirals. Take your old gear with you and match it. The color will be different, that was how they kept track on the line when they were built.

I just checked "Ford Speedometer Gear" on Amazon and got most of the options on the first page.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
There is also left and right hand spirals. Take your old gear with you and match it.

Yes, be sure to do this. I was accidentally shipped the wrong spiral gear but didn't notice until after I installed it. I then had to change my plastic 205 drive gear because it got trashed in the process.

It's my recollection that the opposite spiral is for a 2wd manual transmission as opposed to the transfer case. They look identical otherwise.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Jeep and probably scout D20 uses the reverse speedo gears.

laserfish

I have 33" tires. Speedo shows about 74 and gps shows 65. Anyone know which color gear would I need to get these closer? I don't expect perfect but anything would help.
Thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have 33" tires. Speedo shows about 74 and gps shows 65. Anyone know which color gear would I need to get these closer? I don't expect perfect but anything would help.
Thanks!
Without knowing which gears you have now the best I can say is 2-3 more teeth on the driven gear.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
So if I dont have the old gear and the new gear teeth have been grinded down, what do I do? ha. 32" tires and VIN says B90 under axle

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So if I dont have the old gear and the new gear teeth have been grinded down, what do I do? ha. 32" tires and VIN says B90 under axle
First thing I would do is figure out what did the grinding.

B9 is 3.50 ratio.