• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Sport Survivor...Next steps and recommendations needed.

Mtymse63

Per the title, I'm trying to retain as much "Survivor" status as possible on my barnfind. Have slowly continued to uncover and discover more work and goodies (found the original build sheet under OEM mat)...will be in the market for some chrome bumpers based on sheet. Let me know if you Gurus see anything else glaring on the build sheet as I've not been able to track down all codes.

Would like recommendations as to what I should do with the floor pans and firewall panels given the condition. This will be a sunny day driver so hopefully won't be seeing too much moisture. Should I replace pans and panels or repair rust and Ospho rust areas? I'm sure I will need to replace someday but don't want to hurt "Survivor" status if possible. Truth is I've had to replace master brake cylinder, carb, and front springs to get functional.

Attachments

• IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 232

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I would ospho the rust areas and rock on for the time being. Oh and protect that original floor mat with your life!

Beautiful barn find.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Be careful a lot of the rust converters will damage the paint and turn it black and discolor. I prefer to clean then heavily wax it to keep the original finish.

Lawndart

Loc.
That precious floor mat is the reason it is rusted underneath. Leave it off or sell it.
Luckily, the PO removed mine early on.

I can see the ground from inside my '67 F100 because of the cool rubber floor cover...

THEBONE

I think I would fix the floors and put the mat back in. As a sunny day driver you won't be seeing the ground anytime soon. Nice Bronco

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Protect that origional floor mat. Any cracked, torn areas reinforce the back side with real duct tape to keep the pieces in place and prevent further damage. Me I would repair and repaint the through hole rust damage making as little intrusion as possible. Nice Bronco worth the extra effort to keep it that way.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
POR 15 the rust areas in the floor pans is my recommendation. Restomotive Lab products are premium products. As others have stated, handle that parchment mat very carefully! Very nice Bronco!

Vintagetin

I'd cut and weld only do the very small area that has rust holes. Cut back until to get to solid metal. There is no need to replace an entire panel for a very small spot.

Then I'd try to scrape any loose surface rust and use POR15 1st, making sure you get it in the seams then seam seal each seam. Be careful to not get it on the kick panels. It won't get any worse.

luke

Do not replace the floor pans. Just do the small spots! Go to a local automotive paint supplier and get that paint code in a spray can for your top coat after rust neutralization.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
That is a sweet bronco. Unless you are going show quality I wouldn't replace the entire floor pans, do a small repair to the rusted through areas then clean and use a rust preventive/ converter like ospho or Por on the surface rust. Then drive that thing. That is a cool color!