• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 Explorer Upper Intake - can these lines be deleted?

bsquared

Contributor
Hey Guys,
There are 4 aluminum lines on the underside of my 96 Explorer upper intake manifold that I would like to remove and plug if they are not needed. The PCV valve hose was connected to a double barbed screw in plug where the hole is.

Can these lines be removed or are they used in the EFI setup?

Thanks for the help! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• UpperIntake2.jpg
    UpperIntake2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 158

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
You can plug whatever you don't need. Keep the small one for the fuel pressure regulator. Do you have a vacuum booster? If you're planning on running a dizzy, you'll need vacuum for the advance. Bonus points for running the OBDII system! :)

Mark

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks a million, Mark! Man, I really wanted to run a dizzy, but just for appearances. (old school look) EFI Guy filled me in that it ain't happenin, so I'm OBDII all the way now!

I'm going to clean up my coil bracket and hopefully be able to lower it and clean up the look, at least a little bit. Thanks for the feedback on those lines. Now I can get them outta the way to strip and paint the intakes. Going body color on the intakes, front brackets and valve covers. It's gonna be suweet! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• LgBroncoWash.jpg
    LgBroncoWash.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Lg1stBronco1.jpg
    Lg1stBronco1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 51

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I just lowered a bracket for one I’m working on. I brought it down 1 1/4”, then had to move it over 2 7/8” to clear the fuel rail. The fuel rail lands right between the two coils, and the bracket is now notched for it. This one has a 1” body lift and the stock hood.

Mark

Attachments

• D6796C2D-9A8E-4A27-9037-96953215B532.jpg
    D6796C2D-9A8E-4A27-9037-96953215B532.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 161

fishinman78

Contributor
I just lowered a bracket for one I’m working on. I brought it down 1 1/4”, then had to move it over 2 7/8” to clear the fuel rail. The fuel rail lands right between the two coils, and the bracket is now notched for it. This one has a 1” body lift and the stock hood.

Mark

Do you have to lower it if you have a 1" body lift?

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks for the info guys. I have a 2" body lift, but still want those coil packs outta the way and not focal point of the engine when you open the hood. EFI Guy is saying he's a fan of the Dodge coil packs for this application because they accept standard post style plug wires. For that alone I think it's worth a look at.

Appreciate all input! B2

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks for the info guys. I have a 2" body lift, but still want those coil packs outta the way and not focal point of the engine when you open the hood. EFI Guy is saying he's a fan of the Dodge coil packs for this application because they accept standard post style plug wires. For that alone I think it's worth a look at.

Appreciate all input! B2

That’s another option. Even with the Dodge Neon coil pack, you’ll still have to mount them in the center because of the firing order.

Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure to leave one of the 3/8" tubes for your PCV valve of course.
So, 1. PCV, 2. Booster (if needed), 3. FP regulator.

Are you going to be running stuff like EGR and all that? What about a CAN-P (canister purge) solenoid valve?

Paul

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Mark - can you upload a photo of that setup mounted on the engine? Do you bend up the bracket yourself?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Mark - can you upload a photo of that setup mounted on the engine? Do you bend up the bracket yourself?

It’s the stock bracket, I just cut it down then moved it over wth some flat stock.
I won’t have a pic of it installed till I get the lower intake back. It’s getting cleaned.

Mark

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Mark

I did something similar, but angled coil packs down as well (351W 1"BL). I was planning to drill out the stock tubes, plug the ones i dont need and use inverted flare adapters to go to hard line. Stock lines dont go where i need vacuum really and i dot want a rats nest of hoses.

sorry not the clearest pics

Hank

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
That’s another option. Even with the Dodge Neon coil pack, you’ll still have to mount them in the center because of the firing order.

Mark

I will definitely look into that. Hopefully I can modify the existing Exploder bracket to work with the Neon packs. Thanks for all the tips, guys! Getting the engine components prepped for paint. I might have to mock everything up and get that bracket fabbed before I paint so I can get them all shot at once. (going with body color on these items) Cheers, B2

Attachments

• PaintPrep1.JPG
    PaintPrep1.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
  • PaintPrep2.JPG
    PaintPrep2.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 44
  • PaintPrepValve Cover.JPG
    PaintPrepValve Cover.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 35

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
FYI - when I lowered my EDIS coid bracket it hit the elbow for the heater hose I had to go back and notch it for that. Wanted to throw that out there so you did not paint it before you checked.