• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powder coat

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
I was thinking about having a good portion of The Beast powder coated black. I mean the lid, bumpers, grill, rims, etc. Basically anything on the truck that is white. Has anyone done this? What do y'all think?

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
It can look nice, I would imagine. But the trouble with powdercoat is you can't just touch it up if you get a chip in it. It's more durable that normal paint tho. If you have a street rig, then it might not be bad. If you have something you take offroad...

OP
OP
Acknud

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
It can look nice, I would imagine. But the trouble with powdercoat is you can't just touch it up if you get a chip in it. It's more durable that normal paint tho. If you have a street rig, then it might not be bad. If you have something you take offroad...

It is my everyday ride. I don't off road in it much but I do own a hobby farm and I take it in the woods some. Limbs are hell on my paint. I hunt a lot so I am out on the farm quite a bit. I thought the powdercoat would hold up fairly well.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I don't know if you can polish it in the event you get a scratch?? Perhaps a clear over it?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Say you hit a tree while out in the woods.. Much easier to touch up the bumper (paint) versus PC

Keep that in mind.

PC is nice though for anything that won't get dinged up during your roaming around

ame

Most powdercoating I have seen does not hold up as well to UV light compared to automotive grade paint.

If you want something to get beat up and easy to repair consider a vinyl wrap over the current body or a clear wrap over decent paint.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
rims, bumper, dash, and door panels in mine are powder coated....looks great

OP
OP
Acknud

Acknud

Loc.
Morganfield, Ky
rims, bumper, dash, and door panels in mine are powder coated....looks great

People are saying it will not stand up to any abuse. Have you had any problems with yours? I want to do the rims, bumpers, lid and grill. How do you use your truck?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also check steel-it. They make a paint with stainless steel in it. So far only comes in 1 color, but it's weldable, tough etc... The local fab shop only uses it on anything they might need to weld on.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
People are saying it will not stand up to any abuse. Have you had any problems with yours? I want to do the rims, bumpers, lid and grill. How do you use your truck?

Lol, well I havnt driven mine much to be honest but I don't think any paint is going to hold up if your bouncing off rocks and trees. Powder coating is going to be one of the toughest paints you can put on so its should hold up pretty well. Your other option is the "air cure" cerakote paint. You're limited in colors but it's tough and you can do it w/ a HVLP gun. They do have bake on cerakote but I havnt checked colors or pricing on that!

toddsrods

my wheels/bumpers/cage/radius arms are coated. My dad has a shop so the cost isn't an issue.

Some powders colors do not hold up to UV, but you can clear powder over those to gain the UV protection you need.

I believe it is more durable than pain in most cases, would always do wheels and bumpers. Most powder colors you can get a close paint match so a simple touchup would not be hard.

I have tried a '79 f-250 hood. we had issues with the sand blasting and baking process warping the large flat surfaces. I would be leary about doing the hard top for that reason. But my old man is hell bent on doing his, so if that happens I can provide a better report.

I'd do the grill, bumpers, wheels, etc without hesitation.