• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Camping with your bronco!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Great pics Blu! Is that a Trail 110? My grandparents used to bring two of those when they took us camping.

No, it's a Trail 90. other than the engine CC difference, it's the same bike.
These are especially useful for hunting in CA where many trails are closed to green sticker" vehicles. Since it's a licensed vehicle, it's allowed on all forest service trails.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love that old family stuff too Blu. That lake shot in pic three reminded me of this rig that my brother saw for sale in AZ the other day:
1324.jpeg 1326.jpeg

It'd look great towed behind a Bronco.

Paul

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Camp01-727185.jpg

Camp02-727186.jpg

Camp03-727187.jpg

Very cool Digger, how does that camper tow at speed? I've been kicking around the idea of moving into a small trailer from the pop up with a full bathroom but concerned with the wind effect on it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This was a while back but I'm lucky to be short enough to sleep in the back of my Bronco. I even made a custom bedroll for when the backseat was taken out.
Drive, park, sleep, wake up, drive happy ;D

LOL, a good way to roll.. No worries bout dragging anything along behind ya..

Digger556

Very cool Digger, how does that camper tow at speed? I've been kicking around the idea of moving into a small trailer from the pop up with a full bathroom but concerned with the wind effect on it.

Just don't plan to be in a hurry. The wind loading is significant between the Bronco and the camper. Ironically, the impact is less noticeable behind the Bronco than my F250. I think this is due to the Bronco's already poor aerodynamics coupled with the fact that the Bronco sits closer to the camper and cuts the wind a little better.

On a normal day, it's not a problem to do 65-70 mph, but we hit a 40+ mph crosswind in southern CO one time and I couldn't hold 5th. I had to drop to 4th to hold 60mph. (rpm limited) Plus you can get bucked around a bit.

Mountain travel is slower, but with a built 351W, we do a decent job keeping up with traffic. Stopping is no issue with 1/2 ton brakes and a good quality brake controller for the trailer.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
this was nearing the end of a 3 week trip in fall of 2016. So ready to do that again, but with the rehashed version of the Gypsy Wagon without the big trailer;D

Attachments

• IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3012.jpg
    IMG_3012.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Just don't plan to be in a hurry. The wind loading is significant between the Bronco and the camper. Ironically, the impact is less noticeable behind the Bronco than my F250. I think this is due to the Bronco's already poor aerodynamics coupled with the fact that the Bronco sits closer to the camper and cuts the wind a little better.

On a normal day, it's not a problem to do 65-70 mph, but we hit a 40+ mph crosswind in southern CO one time and I couldn't hold 5th. I had to drop to 4th to hold 60mph. (rpm limited) Plus you can get bucked around a bit.

Mountain travel is slower, but with a built 351W, we do a decent job keeping up with traffic. Stopping is no issue with 1/2 ton brakes and a good quality brake controller for the trailer.

Thanks for the info, now I guess I am back to looking at another camper.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
No camping for me growing up. That would have been a luxury! %)

Buying my Bronco at 17 finally got me out camping with friends. Living large with a TENT! ;D

First pic is on the Clackamas River near Portland in 1980. My first Winter Steelhead.

Second pic is one of many tent camping Bronco trips at Timothy Lake on Mt. Hood 50 miles from Portland. Crawfish dinners from the lake.

Now, fresh in retirement, Mary and I are thinking of RV camping/traveling of some kind. I like the thought of that over a tent.

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 151

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I don't blame ya one bit.. RV for me too some darn day

No camping for me growing up. That would have been a luxury! %)

Buying my Bronco at 17 finally got me out camping with friends. Living large with a TENT! ;D

First pic is on the Clackamas River near Portland in 1980. My first Winter Steelhead.

Second pic is one of many tent camping Bronco trips at Timothy Lake on Mt. Hood 50 miles from Portland. Crawfish dinners from the lake.

Now, fresh in retirement, Mary and I are thinking of RV camping/traveling of some kind. I like the thought of that over a tent.

Bronco Biff

How about a Bronco pulling a Bronco hauling camping trailer and camping with a bunch of other Broncos?

Attachments

• NCM_0576.jpg
    NCM_0576.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 99
  • NCM_0579.jpg
    NCM_0579.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 94
  • NCM_1710.jpg
    NCM_1710.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 105