• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

camber

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I used to take my Toyota, and my Chevy straight axle trucks to Dallas alignment in Dallas TX. To set the camber, they straightened the axle tube with a set up that actually bent the axle tubes. It worked with no issues. Is this an acceptable way to correct camber in a D44 with all good or new parts?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I really wouldnt want them to bend the axle when other means are availible. Basically you can use spindle shims or ball joint adjusters to correct most issues with camber. now if its off more than 2 degrees then the axle is probably bent anyhow.
Bending is the old school way of correcting it. while it works I wouldnt call it the best way to fix it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are shims that go behind the spindle that can correct camber.
There are offset balljoint bushings that can correct camber and caster.
They have limitations.

Also should look at SAI (kingpin inclination) numbers. That is like caster in you draw a line through the upper and lower ball joints, but it is in the camber direction. Depending on if the variation is corrected inside or outside the balljoint will change the SAI.

As for bending the axle to get the numbers, it may be the right way to do it at times and the wrong way at others. Depends on where the error is at. I feel the axle tubes are rarely as straight as they should be, so tweaking the housing to fix stuff can be a good thing. But if the knuckle itself is tweaked bending the housing to fix that is just making more problems. Figuring out where the error is really occurring at can be the hardest part. That is where the SAI numbers help point the way.