• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pillar a and b gap to door

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Does anyone have a pic or could tell me what a nice door gap would be on a 74 bronco. Or does it just depends. Maybe a factor look Thanks in adavanced.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe it does just depend, but a good gap to shoot for is 1/8" all the way around.
But you do have to match two separate parameters. The body tub, and the hard top. Makes life more interesting.

The door should sit square in the tub, and the top should then match that.
Are you having issues now, or just girding for the near future mounting project?

Paul

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
I believe it does just depend, but a good gap to shoot for is 1/8" all the way around.
But you do have to match two separate parameters. The body tub, and the hard top. Makes life more interesting.

The door should sit square in the tub, and the top should then match that.
Are you having issues now, or just girding for the near future mounting project?

Paul

Thanks Paul. No sir I didn't brace the truck when I removed the floor pans and rockers. So now I'm almost outing the floor back in working on the rear support braces extending out to the inner rocker rear. So I was just wondering what a good size clean gap would be. Shame on me for not braces. Will know next time. Ha

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Bottom door gap is wider than the sides. Get it too tight there is no room for the weather strip to compress between the door and the rocker. You would have to look up the spec but the bottom was about 1/8" wider than the sides.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The bottom line though, is that they all play off of something else more important. So many of them ending up being in the "they are what they are" column.
Such as the bottom gap is dependent on how the top of the doors line up with both the front fender line and the rear quarter/bed-rail line. While the top gaps never seem to be the same on any two Broncos, after moving the hard top back and forth to set the rear gap, and the windshield frame moving back and forth to line up parallel with the front of the window frame.
It's a big back-and-forth, dos-a-do square dance routine with Moog accompaniment. %)

Paul

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Moog synthesizer? Are you going OMD or Jean Michael Jarre on us Paul?

Sorry for hijack, remember that all lines will change if new body mounts are used and when replacing sheet metal. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More like Dick Hyman!
But actually OMD and Jarré are excellent listening on many levels.

Paul