• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plug identification and brake help!

zerostar2410

Contributor
Ok, got a couple questions.

Picture below.

1) What is the square plug on the right side of the picture? has a pig tail that doesn't connect to anything. Comes from firewall behind upper intake. When I unplug, cant start bronco until its plugged back in.

2) What is the red plug right above it? It has 2 females and 1 male plug that doesn't go to anything. Also comes out of firewall behind upper intake.

3) Trying to get my hydroboost and explorer swap working. Power steering works but the brakes still spongy. Brake pedal is extremely slow to return to upright position after being pressed. I feel like Ive bled all the air out of the system but not 100% sure. Any suggestions? Power steering pump no longer foams or wines like it used to when air was in there.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
Can only help with #1. Neutral safety switch/back-up lamp harness. Guessing that yours is jumped out meaning that you must not have a neutral safety. Follow this thread to see what I mean; http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245366

If it were me and it is indeed jumped out, I would replace the bad switch.

SWEET!!! Thanks for the help. Now i need to figure out how to replace with the 4r70w.

anybody have any ideas on the other plug and the brakes?

mtp71174

I think the other plugs were temp, oil and coil wires. This is I believe from the original configuration of the truck

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
I think the other plugs were temp, oil and coil wires. This is I believe from the original configuration of the truck

So ignition, engine temp, and oil pressure? sounds about right.

Anybody have any idea on the brake situation?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
one more question on the brakes, how is your return ran

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
one more question on the brakes, how is your return ran

sorry for the sideways pictures. I dont know how to keep them rotated correctly.

Return is ran from hydroboost to power steering reservoir where the "T" is located down to one end of the cooler.

other end of cooler is run to the gear box (fitting on the right side). From gearbox back up to the hydroboost (fitting on left side).

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you continue to have problems especially if your brakes start dragging re-orientate that t fitting so the return on the Hydra-boost enters the cross of the T and the return of the power steering box runs straight through the long leg of the Tee fitting to the reservoir.

The way you have it plumbed some people have back feed problems to the hydro boost. there is very little flow from the return of the hydra-boost.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
If you continue to have problems especially if your brakes start dragging re-orientate that t fitting so the return on the Hydra-boost enters the cross of the T and the return of the power steering box runs straight through the long leg of the Tee fitting to the reservoir.

The way you have it plumbed some people have back feed problems to the hydro boost. there is very little flow from the return of the hydra-boost.

I’ll give that a shot. Might as well do it now before I start to have those problems or maybe it’ll fix my current one.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
Another plug to identify!! the wiring in this thing is pretty bad.

Anybody know what this plug and green wire is? It seems like it loops back in on itself but i cant tell because its wedged behind the upper intake.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can confirm what the others said about the first wires. If this is the '72 in your sig then that's a connector in preparation for the upcoming addition of an automatic transmission to the options list.
The pigtail-to-nowhere with the two flag style push-on connectors would originally have run over to the steering column where a simple push-on switch was for the backup lamps.
If the Red wire is actually Red w/blue, and loops back on itself, that would have been for the neutral safety switch to interrupt the signal to the starter relay.

With an auto trans, both functions are on the side of the trans, hence being in the same connector.

Not sure about the last wire. It's abnormally large for an under-hood wire, and looks an awful lot like the ammeter wire, but that would have been Black w/yellow and under the dash.
I'm sure there is something basic I'm forgetting that would be under the hood, but I an't think of it at the moment.

Can you verify the color all along it's length, and check for any stripes?

Paul

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
As Far as the brakes I use one of those pump bleeders and a brake switch lockout tool. I have always had poor luck bleeding the Bronco brakes without pressure bleeding.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Moti...ke-Bleeder-Square-Master-Cylinders,33861.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Proportioning-Valve-Bleeder-Tool,296895.html

Are you still in El Monte? Can I borrow your $74.99 pressure bleeder? I have a harbor freight type but not sure if it works correctly. I’m in Whittier and still can’t figure these brakes out.

Now when I apply pressure to brakes I feel pressure building and pushing back slightly.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
Found another plug. What is this for?

Attachments

• 3BB82CE5-03B5-4947-AA7B-9ED01730091A.jpg
    3BB82CE5-03B5-4947-AA7B-9ED01730091A.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 22

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't tell it's overall shape, or location, but the only two that I know of that look even remotely like that are the connectors for the brake-warning lamp and the windshield washer pump.

From the factory, I think the brake warn lamp plug is white, and the washer pump connector is black. But the washer connector has a slightly trapezoidal shape, where the brake warn plug is more oval.

Both are on the driver's side, but the warn lamp is down along the frame and I'm pretty sure comes down from the firewall/wheel well area in the back, while the washer would travel along the inner fender skirt down to the front area behind the headlight.

Got a pic from another angle?

Paul

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
Here ya go. The plug is located under the drivers side floor board. Looks to be tied into the tail light harness. I don’t have the original fluid bottle so maybe that’s why the other end of the plug isn’t around?

Attachments

• 3D60D0EE-5591-4949-A8D5-C4606378D26D.jpg
    3D60D0EE-5591-4949-A8D5-C4606378D26D.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2565C8FD-B1F5-4908-B416-73A873C25F50.jpg
    2565C8FD-B1F5-4908-B416-73A873C25F50.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 20

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope, that's for the brake warning lamp on the dash.
You can tell by the shape and color, but the wire colors are the dead giveaway. Purple-ish is for the brake warning lamp.

It's part of that harness, but surprising it's tucked up that far back. But it probably still reaches the area around the H-block if you still have one? Would be up on top of the frame rail, nearabouts behind the shock and spring towers.

Paul

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
Nope, that's for the brake warning lamp on the dash.
You can tell by the shape and color, but the wire colors are the dead giveaway. Purple-ish is for the brake warning lamp.

It's part of that harness, but surprising it's tucked up that far back. But it probably still reaches the area around the H-block if you still have one? Would be up on top of the frame rail, nearabouts behind the shock and spring towers.

Paul

What exactly is a brake warning light? Every time I push on the brakes 2 lights on the cluster illuminate green. Aren’t those brake warning lights? I do not have the H-block (proportioning valve?) on the frame area anymore. It’s up by the master cylinder.

I can’t seem to find the other portion of the plug to plug into.