• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor Pan and Other Half Done Metal Work

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Wow that's top shelf:cool:

Man those people at Throttle Down got it goin on. I checked their web site out ..amazing work they do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

So much nicer than I thought it would be! I was going to cut the shock retainer to put in a longer one, the weld is so nice it would be a crime to cut it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that's the part you should clear coat so you can look underneath and drool every time you go out to drive it!

To your previous thought, yeah it would be nice to look at all the nice sheet metal too, but it's the insulation and sound deadening that's going to make you grin every time you drive it more than a mile away from home.
Lizzard skin sound deadening, and because you're at this point, also a layer of the heat-barrier coating on top of it, will make a world of difference.

And don't under-applicate it either. Get all the way up inside the wheel wells, quarter panels, front fender kick panels, and don't hesitate to put it all the way up the firewall and on top of the cowl.
Yes, you will lose that nice smooth painted metal look where all eyes fall when you open the hood. But if this is going to be more than a show car you will appreciate the peace and quiet and moderated temps inside the cabin.
And so will passengers.
It's that big a deal...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if TDK would build taller spring towers? I'm guessing they have the towers built by the dozen or so already to fit to the next frame, but if they had a taller version it would be easier to install, for example, a 4.5" spring for a result of only 2.5" of lift.
This way you get more spring for more travel without the penalty of the too-tall ride height. And reduce any instances of coil binding, or coming up to it's stretch limit before full droop has been achieved.
Of course you'd need the taller shock mounts, the radius arm mounts farther back (for longer arms) and perhaps even some custom version of the trackbar mount.

Then there could be the option of the rear spring mounts being widened to full-size (3" wide) and extended for longer springs.

They could call it their "Crawler Long Travel" model. ;D

Paul

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Got the tub turned over, ready to do the finish welding, also stripped most of the old frame. Now that everythinh is off you can really see how bent it is.

Attachments

• DSC_6585.jpg
    DSC_6585.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_6597.jpg
    DSC_6597.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Paul I think I am going to Lizard skin everuthing you suggested. I think I am goingto leave the wells painted, I think it looks better. the frame only comes one way. Justin sold me a set of talled shock towers, I hate to cut those nice welds though.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I havn't used lizard skin but went with raptor liner and it goes on easy and I'm impressed with how it looks. Make sure you epoxy prime that underside to seal it up before putting anything else down on it! looking good, that frame is impressive!

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

So glad to get this piece of PO in the trash bin! Onward and upward!

Attachments

• IMG_0305 (1).jpg
    IMG_0305 (1).jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Ry no one wants anything off this frame. I honestly thought about it but everything on the frame is bent one way of another. New frame is coming home today. Powder coat or single stage urethane? Need to do the same with the axles so they match nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 130
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Ry no one wants anything off this frame. I honestly thought about it but everything on the frame is bent one way of another. New frame is coming home today. Powder coat or single stage urethane? Need to do the same with the axles so they match nicely.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

I'd powder coat if I had the option.....but another option is to degrease your frame then treat it with the phospho acid wash from POR-15 and then paint it with POR-15 you will get good results with that as well. My opinion it's tough as nails and doesn't come off, plus one other factor is how many people are going to be crawling under it to look? overall, if you have the money get it powder coated, Prismatic powders has some great colors and send steve (doghows72)on here a PM as he owns a large scale PC business if you have any questions!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Just curious,are you able to use the vin from the old frame on to the new frame somehow?

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Mocked up the new shock towers and track bar bracket from WH. I reallly like this frame, it is really nicely built, but looks very stock at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Very happy with the way the frame is turning out!

Attachments

• DSC_7624.jpg
    DSC_7624.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_7631.jpg
    DSC_7631.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 147

bwalden

floor pan work

is it best to leave the top on when doing sheet metal work on the floors?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
It is good to do your floors on the frame. If you have to replace windshield or cowl/dash then the top would be helpful. By the way you should have good body mounts before you start. Ken

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

My old frame was too bent and was not useful. I had the top on during all the welding, I left some areas un-welded for final fitment.My opinion have the frame on and top on if at all possible.

My only hope is the hood lined up so perfect the first attempt I am holding out hope. I know there are certain truths in building these bodies.