• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It has begun! Sheyla's dream build 1973 Half Cab

OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Progress

The frame is back from the blaster! We are going to use POR 15 and paint it by hand. I used to powder coat the frame but inevitably we would forget or have to change something that would cause us to have to grind and weld on the frames. With the POR 15 if we need to we can just paint any area again. Not as nice as powder coating but were not building a show truck.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7354.jpg
    IMG_7354.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 259

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Heck Jim haul,it up here to my shop and I'll powder it for free for you just to say I did!! Then you won't have to feel bad when you grind some of it off to add the stuff you forgot.
Bad news is I'm up in Washington state.

OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Heck Jim haul,it up here to my shop and I'll powder it for free for you just to say I did!! Then you won't have to feel bad when you grind some of it off to add the stuff you forgot.
Bad news is I'm up in Washington state.

Thanks for the offer. I love the whole Puget Sound area especially this time of year. We'll have to check in with you if we head up that way.

More progress. We have a few items bolted on the painted frame. I consider the frame and chassis the "easy" part. It's all just nuts and bolts, pretty straight forward.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7463.jpg
    IMG_7463.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 294

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Hey Jim, Cool story. I would love to know what you do for a stirrup for my wife.

There are quite a few of us up here in Washington. It would be good to see you guys again. Or if you are flying under the radar I understand that too.

Martin

mdside

Loc.
PNW
Hey Jim, Cool story. I would love to know what you do for a stirrup for my wife.

There are quite a few of us up here in Washington. It would be good to see you guys again. Or if you are flying under the radar I understand that too.

Martin

No To hi-jack, but I would love to meet up with some of you WA guys some time when my Bronco is in driving condition!!

Sub'ed to this thread as well

OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

Martin

No To hi-jack, but I would love to meet up with some of you WA guys some time when my Bronco is in driving condition!!

Sub'ed to this thread as well

Sounds like you guys need to get a WA event going.:) Northwest Bronco Round Up is a few months away that would be somewhat close. Check it out http://northwestbroncoroundup.com/

Slow progress on the project but it's still moving. These are chrome radius arms from the original Nightmare build. I think they have been sitting around for 20 years. Glad to finally find them a new home. Other old chrome Mare items are being prepared. I don't think they make chrome like this any more.;D

Also preparing to install rear housing after welding lower shock mounts, brake hose tabs and applying the POR 15.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3919.jpg
    IMG_3919.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 319

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
!

Under $6 million bucks and only take one year....ain't going to happen!

These projects always: Change along the way, require more money, and take more time than planned for or expected. I'm diggin the $6 mil budget...you're safe there.

Your girl has good taste; Blue, and fast, and stick shift, AND cold air blowing with a loud radio....sweet!

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
FWIW for a stirrup/step check out the retracting step used on the LH rear of some (all?) LR Disco's. Neat little gas shock with an accordion boot does the retracting work. Guess what my 5' tall wife is getting?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Those chrome arms are very cool! They will give the build a retro period touch and a nice tribute to the original Nightmare build.

Green_Bastard

I see your using the inboard rear shock hoop. I've thought about using one as well but I've read several post about excessive body roll and poor ride, not to mention exhaust pipe routing problems. What has your experience been with them? I would still like to use one if I can get positive information from someone that knows what there talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I see your using the inboard rear shock hoop. I've thought about using one as well but I've read several post about excessive body roll and poor ride, not to mention exhaust pipe routing problems. What has your experience been with them? I would still like to use one if I can get positive information from someone that knows what there talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. So with this build there are a couple things going on that contribute to the decision to use the inboard hoops.
1. It's a half cab, much less weight on the back will lesson any potential body roll.
2. We wanted the opportunity for good rear suspension travel, although this rig will probably not see many situations where it's needed.
3. We know we are going to use the anti sway bar. With that in place the effects of body roll are pretty much gone.

About the only issue we will need to deal with is exhaust routing. Not sure 100% what we will be doing there yet but with the half cab I could just cut it off before the rear end, we'll see.

Jim

OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
More chrome fragments from the MARE. Chrome knuckles and disc brake backing plates. Glad to have a new home for the shiny stuff.

The body has now been media blasted. We found an old antenna hole in the side of the body. Overall a very solid steel body with very minimal rust .....and no front sheet metal:p.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7511.jpg
    IMG_7511.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 401
OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Little by little

Some progress. Stock height 10 pack WH leafs, black urethane spring and shackle bushings, super shackles, Super 9" housing in black POR 15 etc.

In the front we have WH stock height coils, HD coil cups, red busing I already changed to black. WH axles.

P/S box added.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3919.jpg
    IMG_3919.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_3923.jpg
    IMG_3923.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 365
OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Third member done! 31 spline, Yukon Dura Grip, 4.56, billet yoke, Daytona support, 3.25 Yukon nodular case. Moving slow but making progress. Wilwoods on the rear.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7507.jpg
    IMG_7507.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7508.jpg
    IMG_7508.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 248
OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Work is progressing!

1. Clydesdale steering linkage, ARB diff cover.
2. Flow Cooler Explorer style wit Pro Street balancer up front.
3. 347 via Edelbrock top end and Scat stroker kit, Ford Racing valve covers.
4. New AX15 5 speed with B&M short throw shifter, Dana 20 HD output and 3.0 to 1 gears.

Waiting for the Holley Sniper to come in. Body should go on by next week. This rig is supposed to be alive in a few months. If it wasn't for the last minuet nothing would get done.;D

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7648.JPG
    IMG_7648.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_7652.JPG
    IMG_7652.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_7649.JPG
    IMG_7649.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_7650.JPG
    IMG_7650.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 316

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's progressing nicely Jim! It helps when you don't have far to go to get parts, I'd bet! I like it so far!.....Do you think Sheyla might sell it? LOL!!!