• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Suspension w/32” wheels

Lil Buck

Loc.
South Lake Tahoe
Will I have problems as a novice taking a 72 Bronco with stock suspension and 32” tires on intermediate rated trails in Lake Tahoe, CA area?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be no prob at all if rear fenders are cut. The front lower part of the front fender may catch if suspension is really "sacked" out and flexed while turning, other than that I don't think you will have nay problems.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Shouldn't be a problem.

I've ran hard AZ trails with stock suspension and 33s.

Before you head out flex it out and make sure you address any major interference issues. I expect some slight rub, just not anything severe or against any sharp edges that would cut a tire.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Before you head out flex it out and make sure you address any major interference issues.

I think that is your best advise. Test it before tearing something up.

I can tell you we just put
32x11.5-15s BFGs
10x15 US Mag Indy wheels
Front and rear flares (Bushwacker)
Stock suspension 77

No way this rig was going to do any trails without major rubbing of front tires on bottom edge of flares and front fender. Our solution was a 1.5" coil up front. Leveled out the 77 nicely and gave the clearance needed.

Here's a pic for reference.

Jim

Attachments

• 1_5 lift.jpg
    1_5 lift.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 195

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I have 33s. Just getting my WH 1.5" lift on today. I'm doing the rear as well and hope to have similar results.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In the front wheel well, at the edge of the inner wheel well in the back part is a vertical piece of the inner panel sheet metal. When the tire rides up into the wheel well that piece of sheet metal will slice into the tread of your tire. you need to trim the metal or get a body lift. I trimmed the metal. You will also need to trim the lower front fender opening as it will hit the tire when turned.

Your biggest problem is your rockers are vulnerable to damage once you get off fire roads. With no lift you need rocker protection. You don't always get to make a decision to not go there. One wrong slip and you get the big crunch. Rockers are kinda of easy to fix but if it gets into the door opening your going to get really pissed.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That lip in the front wheel well, you can keep more structural integrity by folding it over instead of cutting it off. crescent wrench works good for a start, hammer can finish it off.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
That lip in the front wheel well, you can keep more structural integrity by folding it over instead of cutting it off. crescent wrench works good for a start, hammer can finish it off.

That works and you can also hammer it back to stock if Bronco prices keep going up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Lil Buck. Welcome to classicbroncos!

As the others said, it's a very achievable goal. If you use the narrower 8" wheels (more appropriate for an 11" wide tire anyway) or even the 7" wide wheels like I use, you can be in great shape.
Also, any wheel with more backspacing does tend to tuck in a little tighter no matter what the overall width. And that can make things a little more civil in the fender trimming department, but plenty of Broncos running around on 10" wide wheels too, so it's not out of the question.
Best with front and rear flared fenders. If you are trying to keep it uncut, or even just uncut in the front, that's a whole new can-o-worms to discuss.

Here are three EB's all with full flares, stock suspensions and 32x11.50x15 tires on 8" wide wheels taking a little break from wheeling.
IMG_0027 (Large).jpg
About mid-way through the Rubicon trail.

Paul

OP
OP
L

Lil Buck

Loc.
South Lake Tahoe
I also have 32x11.5-15 BFG. Sounds like I should consider the 1.5 coils at some point. I think I should test out what I have first, like was recommended and see. It certainly would open up more adventures if I can include intermediate rated trails.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw the title and was like :eek: whoa! 32" wheels...those are big even for a tractor! And then I read the thread and was like :cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the "any excuse to post old photos" department...

From about '81 with no lift (or maybe with 1").
IMG_0057 (Large).jpg
Coming down out of the manzanita bushes with 8" wheels with 11x15 TruTracs.

From about '89 with 7" wheels and 32x11.50's.
IMG_0067 (Large).jpg
Coming down what would later become the Tank Trap at Hollister Hills.

Paul

syndicate1

Contributor
My rig - WH stock suspension w/ 32x11.5 BFG's on 15x10 rims

dbb3fc3804852d38d40996027d9df0a8.jpg
bfee5a87c0cb38d69199e98eef152b67.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice! And gettin' used too!
Those wheels don't have much backspace, do they? Do you know what the spec is?

Paul

syndicate1

Contributor
Nice! And gettin' used too!
Those wheels don't have much backspace, do they? Do you know what the spec is?

Paul

Wheels are American Racing Gambler's. Not much info about them online but based on the info that I found on the interweb, I believe they're 4" backspacing / -38 offset.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Looks like a lot less than 4" from this angle, but that's why we like to know. Pics don't tell the whole tale sometimes...
Just like words too!

Paul

syndicate1

Contributor
Thanks. Looks like a lot less than 4" from this angle, but that's why we like to know. Pics don't tell the whole tale sometimes...
Just like words too!

Paul

A couple more pics, different angles. If you can find an old catalog, the Gambler wheel is the "AR-52".

12d79c66b97d251e488faf5a1d905ffa.jpg

a63b810a53895e5cf0eee42c0ed98e69.jpg