• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suspension Lift - who is best?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Blueboy, welcome to classicbroncos! Looks like you've been lurking and looking (for a Bronco?) for awhile now.
Glad you're digging through the threads before just jumping in with both feet (or all four wheels as the case may be) and making sure you do the right thing the first time.

I would agree with Mike above, that I have not heard of Duffs (or most others for that matter) coils sagging any sooner than could be expected normally.
Any spring can sag over time of course. But most of the quality ones don't. At least not anytime soon. The leaf packs are more prone to do that sometimes, but even with them most normal use won't see you sagging beyond use anytime soon. "Normal" being the operative word there though!
The variable rate coils are pretty soft initially, so if you run them for awhile, then add a heavier bumper, or even if you do it right away, that extra weight is going to take the soft coils down a notch. And perhaps a little more over time as well.
That's not sag though. Just "settling in" under the additional weight.
Might be what some are calling sag. Which it's not, at least in the way we're thinking of it.

I still tend to disagree (but only mildly) with those that say dual shocks are no longer necessary ever. Those that list the qualifiers (such as the previously mentioned dune hopping, or perhaps good ride quality) are more correct to my thinking. The heavier your rig, sometimes the more justified the duals. Or the more you use it hard, or if you want some tighter cornering characteristics (on the road) and don't want to use an anti-swaybar kit, then duals is another way to get that.
But generally yes, they're correct to say that with modern shocks most Bronco owners no longer need dual shocks to get the best of both worlds. Sometimes you can try singles first, then go the dual route if you think it's not enough.
Or you can have custom valved single shocks (pretty expensive usually) or Rancho 9000 adjustables. But as cool and handy as that adjustability is, I still don't think there are many that think they've got the best of both worlds at any setting. Either too stiff, too soft, too harsh, too mushy. Never "just right" like some other, even less expensive shocks.
They're good. Just not as good.

I like to recommend the Bilstein shocks that the others have said too. Great for many different Bronco setups, and most users (by a wide margin) like them a lot.
A few of us, including me, find the standard valving for a front shock a bit light for a front heavy Bronco (there's that winch and bumper again), and you would do well to consider a heavier valved version if yours will be heavy with accessories. Or even go custom valving?
I actually still like mine, even with the heavy bumper and moderate sized winch. They're just borderline soft.

You going to stay relatively light with yours? No big bumpers, big tires, big engines, hard tops or big gas tanks and such in other words? If so, then yeah, I'm thinking that a single shock per corner like has been said, would be your best bet.
Add a bunch of weight though, or add harder more aggressive use, and that could change.

Other items to consider for your build:
While longer parking brake cables are not a requirement for the street and super mild trails, they are one of the early limiting factors in wheel travel once you get to 3.5" of lift and want to utilize all it's potential.
The modern leaf packs from us (WH), Duff and BC and others are capable of flexing like nobody's business compared to the old ones. Shocks and brake lines and cables soon become the limiting factors in that equation.
Don't even think about running stock length brake hoses though. It's ok to pull up hard against an armored parking brake cable now and then. But a rubber brake hose? Not so much!

Dropped pitman arm and trackbar bracket.
Degreed shims likely needed (so expect that) for your rear lift to correct the pinion/driveshaft angle.
Adjustable draglink to correct the steering wheel position in case the drop brackets don't quite get it re-centered.
Adjustable trackbar to lessen the load on the bushings from the tilt of the mounts after the lift.
Better brakes are a given, if yours are not already updated.
Driveshafts are not usually needed for 3.5" of lift. But they can be, as many here will attest. You have to measure to be sure.

Some of the above are just options, while some are mandatory.

Where do you live and how is the Bronco set up already?
How often are you going to drive it? Summer heat? Bumpy roads?
Sound and heat insulation of some type (don't scrimp here!) will go a long way to keep the family members (insert spouses name here) happy. The kid dropper offer mode will be enhanced too, although they tend to think it's all cool depending on their age and how much work you let them do with you as it's being fixed up.
In that vein, make sure to add any good pictures you get of the kids-and-Broncos to the others we have here. When you have your Kodak moments with the kids and spouses and even the dogs (if applicable) during the build and after, when enjoying the fruits of your labors, we like to share in them too.
Or of the shop labor if you're having one built for you!

Are you going to cut and flare the fenders, or remain uncut? Your choice of tire sizes is very dependent on the other things you do. Sounds like you want to go uncut, based on the stock wheels/hubcaps and small-ish tires comments. That the case?
There are many threads hereabouts showing pics of different lift heights on uncut Broncos. Have you checked them out to make sure you like the taller LUBR (lifted, uncut Bronco) look? Some prefer the 2.5" or 2.5 + 1 height to the 3.5, or 3.5 + 1. While others prefer the taller setup. Definitely worth looking at the differences even 1" makes.
And more important sometimes, that 1" here or there definitely makes a difference to other family members. Kids and adults alike.
Best if everyone is on board!

Good luck. Hard to say what's "best" for everyone sometimes, but you'll get good info from the members here. You'll quickly see that not everyone has the same tastes, but they'll give you accurate info as far as they're concerned. Which is why you often come out thinking you just got 10 different answers to one simple question about "the best" of something.
Just don't expect a full consensus on what is best in any one category. You read the "what's the best carburetor" thread yet?%)

You'll see what I mean...;D

Paul

NCBeachBronco

I have the WH 5.5" f&r with single Bilsteins, no body lift, 37's, custom steel bumper with a Smitty winch.
I like the highway ride, but it is a bit soft when hitting dips in the road at highway speed. Thinking of either dual shocks or sway bar-

68ford

Bronco Guru
Can't have best of both worlds.for off road and street ride without a disconnect able sway bar. I'll go so far to say every available rear leaf spring is too stiff for the weight of the vehicle and 99% never get much added weight put inside them. Get the softest springs you can and plan on a sway bar in the rear like the Currie sway bar kit.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
We used to run all WH but have switched to Duffs for a few reasons, first is shipping that heave stuff across country vs a state line was a big part, second, since they now offer a 2.5" lift which is the most common install for us, the ride quality is really nice, so much I cannot tell a difference from riding one of our builds with Duff Springs or my personal build with WH. Now on single shock setups we still run Bilstien but the customers who want the old school duals we run Duffs 70/30 and have been very pleased with the overall outcome. I will be building a second bronco more on the focus of off road use and it will be getting the full Duff treatment.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Can't have best of both worlds.for off road and street ride without a disconnect able sway bar. I'll go so far to say every available rear leaf spring is too stiff for the weight of the vehicle and 99% never get much added weight put inside them. Get the softest springs you can and plan on a sway bar in the rear like the Currie sway bar kit.
lol I am that 1%,;D 3/16 steel rear quarter panels, 23 gal tank, 35" spare and rack. I really like my Duffs, rides great and good flex:cool:

Attachments

• pass flex.jpg
    pass flex.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 121

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
They put a lot of work into their new systems for sure...

We used to run all WH but have switched to Duffs for a few reasons, first is shipping that heave stuff across country vs a state line was a big part, second, since they now offer a 2.5" lift which is the most common install for us, the ride quality is really nice, so much I cannot tell a difference from riding one of our builds with Duff Springs or my personal build with WH. Now on single shock setups we still run Bilstien but the customers who want the old school duals we run Duffs 70/30 and have been very pleased with the overall outcome. I will be building a second bronco more on the focus of off road use and it will be getting the full Duff treatment.

68ford

Bronco Guru
lol I am that 1%,;D 3/16 steel rear quarter panels, 23 gal tank, 35" spare and rack. I really like my Duffs, rides great and good flex:cool:

Not even close, maybe top 30% hahaha😜 I have 2 35 spares out back and 50 gal of fuel and 2 group 31 optima all behind the rear axle and 200 foot of 1 3/4 dia for a cage ;D

1811SAR

Loc.
NOVA
FY'21 Updates_Suspension System

They put a lot of work into their new systems for sure...

Revising an oldie here and sorry if I missed a more recent post on my question... I want to do a 2.5" complete with sway bars. I won't be doing much 4x4 stuff but I want it to handle on the street. My rear wheel archs are cut and my fronts are stock.

Three years have gone by on this post so I was wondering if anyone has had any regrets, woulda shoulda couldas, or has the engineering gotten better?

I see that Duff can't get the Eibachs supplied for their 2.5" system. Are the Eibachs better than the Bilstein?

Cheers mates,
Griff sends

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Another vote for Duffs. I have there 3 1/2 inch lift with dual shocks on all corners.

madcrzydrmr

Running duff‘s 2.5” with their new eibach shocks (single all around) and 35” tires. Great improvement over their 70/30’s. Very happy with this setup. 60/40 street/trails.

omureebe

Just to throw a little in the mix..... I'm really surprised how the t-rex arms made an improvement. Talked with a few guys that did it, and heard different opinions, but for my ride (1" BL, 3-1/2" suspension, single bilsteins, 33" tires).... they made a super nice difference with regard to reducing suspension bind and turning radius.

bchesley

I run BC coils and WH leafs. I've tried several set ups and this works best for me.

I run the same. I like the linear coils better. The variable rates seem to give a little more body roll. I ran the WH coils for years but really glad I switched.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I know this thread is old and was brought back up and since my previous comment I have a ton more to add. The question the OP poses is always a tough one to answer because you don't want to start a tit for tat argument however I do believe there is a definitive answer to his question. Hands down Duff's is the best in my experience. I have had every known suspension system in my shop and none of them compare to what we have done with the Duff's suspension systems now. Duff's is the only suspension company that is still working to refine and improve on their platform specially when new technology has been introduced. Combine their exceptional willingness to work with me, we have worked over the suspension systems and have a great all around driver system that is also excellent for mild off road.

The Duck Tuff system is tough to beat for most modern day enthusiasts but the system needs to be run in it's entirety to experience it as I do from the traction control, Eibach Shocks and sway bars, as well as their steering components we have taken the early bronco into and beyond what modern off the shelf equivalent vehicles can do. My bronco will handle at 100mph as well as it handles at 70mph on 35" tires. This isn't a bragging session just a reality of what it will do and with ease and most importantly comfort for both the passenger and driver. I know we are not building these to run at those high speeds but knowing they will from our testing, says a lot to me. No wander, or road creep at high speeds, just smooth and planted, not feeling of flight etc., which in the past turned out to be mild bump steer effects from the vehicle raising and lowering as you traveled giving it an uneasy squirm above 80mph and now all of that is gone with the latest steering upgrades. We have had the system off road blasting through the dunes with ease as well as mild off roading at Windrock and again within my comfort limits of what I was willing to subject my bronco too it performed flawlessly and would have probably done a lot more had I been willing to put the truck on those more challenging trails. For most of my customers it is a hands down no brainer when they go for a ride in the Duck, they simply want that feeling and handling in their bronco.

The system we developed has very repeatable results as we have found in many other builds and customers who have purchased it. Just keep in mind that springs from Deaver that some other vendors are selling are not the same Deaver made springs sold through Duff's, they both come from the same manufacturer but Duff's are proprietary and built to match the same proprietary front coils. The Eibach shocks were also designed to match this system as well and perform fantastically. This past weekend we had the opportunity to hangout in Gatlinburg with Suzy and Michael and I drove silver for the first time while Suzy drove the Duck for the first time. Silver is running long arms with single Eibacks and no sway bars and that truck handles amazingly well in the twists with no sway control because of the new shocks. Duff's has it going on for suspension control no doubt. They are not selling a system to simply build the mall crawler look, they sell a system that performs. The extra price you are paying is what it takes to have the best, they are often imitated in appearance but never duplicated in delivery of lift and performance. So when asked who's is the best, that is my answer, they set the bar and own that blue marker well. They are the only manufacturer who designs and builds their components in house, all American made and the only one who built a suspension component that did so well that race officials banned it from being used in the stock class in Baja. That says a lot for an off the shelf component that I had a hand in getting developed and proudly use on every build that rolls out of my shop.

Last edited:

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
I agree with what others said about WH or Duffs if you're going with a kit (I'm running duff long arms, but WH leafs)...
One thing I'll add though is that it's my opinion that JBG has the BEST coil springs from the ones I've ran. I've had original, and Duff progressive. Neither can compare to the ride on and off road of the Deaver "Super flex" from Jeffs. Only reason I got the Deavers to begin with was I pulled my duff coil out of the cup off road a couple times and needed a coil that would droop further without coming out. They are smooth on road and flexes till the limit straps grab no problem

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I think all the vendors WH, DUFFY, TOM'S have great products each one has treated me well. I think it all depends on what you're going to use your Bronco for, each company has its strong points in different area's. Call and talk to each vendor and see which one has the lift that suits you.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Duck Tuff suspension arrived yesterday. Can wait to give it try.:D

Attachments

• PXL_20210513_222839602.jpg
    PXL_20210513_222839602.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 43