• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 Duraspark and Modual

pbets756

I just got my motor and transmission back today from being completely rebuilt for my 1976 Bronco Sport. I am keeping everything original on it and have a question on the Duraspark distributor that would have came with it. I bought the 76 Bronco from the original owner after numerous attempts over 25 years. He was an old timer who didn't believe in the electronic ignition so the first thing he did was put in a points distributor in it. We looked all over his barns for the original Duraspark that came with it but no luck. Should it have a Duraspark 2 in it? If so where should I buy it from. I want the best quality available out there. Also where can I buy the module for it? I will be keeping/replacing all the smog related items as well. I will have to get a new smog air pump but everything else is all there and in working order. thanks Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The distributors for all the '75 and newer carbureted 302s with electronic ignitions are the same. The modules were sightly different and the '77 Duraspark module is the only one Ford still makes under the Motorcraft brand. RockAuto has them under Motorcraft part #DY683 for $40.79. The ones on ebey are made in the '90s in the USA and are preferable to new ones that I've read are Chinese. This is the most important part for a dependable Duraspark ignition. Centech makes a Duraspark harness for big $ but the junk yard should have plenty.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Your local parts stores should have both the distributor and module {blue grommet}.
You can wire it yourself ; there are multiple schematics on the web or as mentioned Painless makes a harness.
SHX

rokonbronco

Loc.
Westminster CO
Look under Craigslist Denver auto parts under early bronco duraspark Ignition. Not my parts. The guy said it fits a 302 and wants 25 bucks for everything. A wiring harness is easy to make for them just a 20 minute job. you just need to pull 5 single leads rather than two plugs. You need to disconnect the pink wire to the starter switch and run a 12 volt direct to the red wire from starter relay. Skip the white wire and color code the next four to the module and distributor. Even if it's not the one you want if it runs it would be a great spare unit for a jamb.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Look under Craigslist Denver auto parts under early bronco duraspark Ignition. Not my parts. The guy said it fits a 302 and wants 25 bucks for everything. A wiring harness is easy to make for them just a 20 minute job. you just need to pull 5 single leads rather than two plugs. You need to disconnect the pink wire to the starter switch and run a 12 volt direct to the red wire from starter relay. Skip the white wire and color code the next four to the module and distributor. Even if it's not the one you want if it runs it would be a great spare unit for a jamb.

I like to bolt 2 blue grommet ICMs to the fenderwell just to have a spare ready to plug your wires into if the one you are using fails when you are out in the boonies.

rokonbronco

Loc.
Westminster CO
I like to keep all the spare electrical in the cab to keep it dry. I wasn't going to buy a spare module but when my oncologist told me today that I may have up to three more years I went out and bought a new one.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
If you buy a quality Motorcraft US made module like the one I suggested you won't need to keep a spare. The one I'm using has worked flawlessly for 30+ yrs. The local parts has replacement parts that are almost all made in China. If your lucky maybe Mexico. This is no place to try to save a few bucks. Do a google search on the quality of Duraspark modules. You'll see that none of the people with problems used OE Motorcraft modules made after 1980. Some of the the early ones in the '70s, quit when they got hot.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depending if it were an early or later model 76 it could have the Duraspark I or II. In the 1st pic is the I, the 2nd is the II

Attachments

• bronco pics 021.jpg
    bronco pics 021.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 113
  • duraspark_sm.jpg
    duraspark_sm.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 125

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Duraspark I was a different system that was only sold in Cal. The '76 electronic ignition system was just an early version of the Duraspark II. Read this excellent write up;

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/7731000846

That maybe true I have no idea, however I do know that a lot of the earlier 76's had the dizzy that looked like the older points style, like in the 1st pic, and the later models had the large cap style dizzy.

OP
OP
P

pbets756

This has just got confusing. The original wiring is all there yet and in good shape. So do I buy a Duraspark 1 or 2? Also does the curve need to be set. Does the module go on the passenger or drivers side wheel well?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A lot of the confusion comes from the incorrect assumption that, if Duraspark II came out in '77, then Duraspark I is what proceeded it. In reality Duraspark II and I were both introduced in '77. The Cal. only Duraspark I is nearly impossible to find. This module is Motorcraft part #DY204. The '76 module is part #184 as is the '77 module. The only wire harness available is the Duraspark II. The latest version of the module that replaced the DY184 is the DY683 that I recommended earlier. The only choice is Duraspark II. Ford decided to use larger diameter plug wires in '77, and went with a larger distributor cap then. The cap and rotor are all that changed. The distributor is the same.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It might get even murkier if his existing harness is of one of the oddball types available. Meaning the wire orientation could be incorrect for the standard Blue Grommet type, if his originally came with a Green or Red.
I'm just throwing colors out though, as I don't remember what color the original 76 would have had, or if they were available with different ones depending on where it was originally sold. Such as CA vs Fed, or standard for that year vs high-altitude, or whatever.

Do you know what color and number of plugs (2 or 3) he would originally have had on that '76 jckkys? You seem to have a good grasp of what was what on those, but I don't remember from one year or the other.

Thanks

paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Yes the '76-'97 modules all have blue strain reliefs and two plugs. The three plug type came out in '79 to work with the pre-ignition sensor and timing retard in cars and light trucks. The heavy F700 trucks with 460s used the later version of blue strain relief modules through '98. I've read that these were the last US made ones. They look like this one on ebey;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Co...-V8-/121175711582?hash=item1c36a29f5e&vxp=mtr

The ones with the finned aluminum box, sold under the same part number, may be the Chinese ones. These larger ones, with the white Duraspark label are US made. I would choose one of these while they're still available. The Cal. only Duraspark 1, was sold on '77-'79 cars. They produced a higher voltage spark to fire leaner mixtures. Sounds good, but almost none existent now.The Pantera forum is the best I can find on this subject.
The only difference in the wiring harnesses that would concern me is the resistance wire and what impedance is needed. It seems all harnesses used with blue strain relief modules are the same.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A lot of the confusion comes from the incorrect assumption that, if Duraspark II came out in '77, then Duraspark I is what proceeded it. In reality Duraspark II and I were both introduced in '77. The Cal. only Duraspark I is nearly impossible to find. This module is Motorcraft part #DY204. The '76 module is part #184 as is the '77 module. The only wire harness available is the Duraspark II. The latest version of the module that replaced the DY184 is the DY683 that I recommended earlier. The only choice is Duraspark II. Ford decided to use larger diameter plug wires in '77, and went with a larger distributor cap then. The cap and rotor are all that changed. The distributor is the same.

Let me muddy the waters a little more. The '74 system was called "breakerless ignition". The '75 system was called "solid state ignition". Each was a predecessor of the duraspark systems and each have unique harnesses and modules.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I bought a new Bronco in the fall of '73 that I thought for years was a '74 because it had a column mounted four way flasher and C4, but it also had breaker points. I was in the military, loved having a Bronco, and didn't care what year Ford called it. Changes attributed to the new model years are a little inconsistent.
Now the only practical choice for pre-'77 Broncos is the Duraspark II. If the appearance of the big distributor cap seams out of place on earlier models, I know the small cap works with Duraspark. Just keep it clean inside so the spark can't jump.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always preferred the larger cap myself. Not only because I knew it was "better" from a modern ignition standpoint, but it also made my Bronco look newer and cooler. Updated with fancy modern stuff and all.

I just used my old points distributor to trigger a Jacobs CDI and put the adapter, larger cap and rotor on and loved my new modern truck!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I used to run the large cap on my '74 breakerless ignition.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I used to run the large cap on my '74 breakerless ignition.

I prefer the large cap cause im running a msd coil and more suited for hotter spark, also seems more replacement chioces at the parts store. And if you are are going to install a late 80s splash boot, it fits the large cap better.