• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 gas door fakes?

ronnie90

Loc.
las cruces
have any of you ever heard of taking the gas doors off of another truck and putting it onto a bronco to make it look like a 77. I have always thought it would be cool but i have never heard of it being done... IM in the middle of a ton of body work and though tit might be a cool thing to try.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Nothing fake about it. I plan on doing it on my 72 tub. Find a donor and start tacking it on spot by spot. Take pics and let me know how it goes!

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Really? I think the 77 gas door looks horrible. It is the single most obvious difference between the 77 and all the other years. Kills the old classic look....

Just my opinion

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
It isn't that difficult to do, I used a non 77 skin on my rear qtr and installed the door from my old 77 skin and actually put it in a different location to clear the flairs... You can see pic's on my thread in my sig.

Last edited:

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Wow good job. Looks good. Last time I spoke to you was in the process of working on your body.

Hey, yea, actually started the truck the other day, first time in 15+ years... Ironed out an electric gremlin last week, put the hard top on, will work on it all day tomorrow... It is getting close. Will post pic's tomorrow with the top on. ;D

Good to hear from you again.

PS... Sorry for the bit of hijacking.

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
That's some nice body work! I also like the idea of ...dare I say a "jeep style" recessed gas cap. This is on my list of things I want to do.

OP
OP
ronnie90

ronnie90

Loc.
las cruces
that does look good i guess i gotta figure out where to get the metal to do it. i don 't have any 77 skins sitting around lol.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You can use all sorts of Ford trucks to get that gas door assembly. Doesn't have to be a 77 EB.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
do you think you could steal them off a ranger?

I suppose you could, again it isn't all that uncommon as far as metal work, I bet a few bronco supply huts might even have access to old trucks to scavenge parts off of. I would check junk yards first though.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I would stick with older model trucks or FS Broncos. Now I'm sure you can make it work if you are good at graphing new metal to old metal. The metal back then is better to weld vs newer metal that is thinner and sorta crappy. Old Ford metal is way better than the yuppy metal made today. That's why you see some fenders are more expensive than others. You are basically payn for thicker, better quality metal.

OP
OP
ronnie90

ronnie90

Loc.
las cruces
I think I'll go to a junkyard and see if they have an old bed I can get for cheap the guys at my local scrap yard are pretty terrible. Lazy lol. I've always wanted to do this.