• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 efi

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
A local guy is selling the complete fuel injection setup from a Grand Marquis. I know most of them were automatic, and from what I've read I can use an Automatic transmission computer with my manual transmission Bronco. The Computer in it is an 8KH, I haven't been able to find much info out on it. Could I use all of the marquis parts and then swap in an A9L computer? Or does the A9L require a Mustang harness? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What year? If I recall the G-M is an odd duck. Was Speed Density till 91 I think? Was not an HO motor so it had the old firing order.

Could be wrong.....

Tim

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Its out of a '90. I was hoping it'd be MAF efi based off of the year. Good to know, I appreciate your help. I'll keep hunting lol

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Its out of a '90. I was hoping it'd be MAF efi based off of the year. Good to know, I appreciate your help. I'll keep hunting lol

I'm sure others will chime in on this.....I could be wrong but I think the Crown Vic and the G-M were the same. And the Vic's went MAF in late 91 or early 92.

Now you COULD try and convert it to MAF and just run a different ECM. I did this. Took 96 speed density van harness and made it SN95 MAF....I run a 95 stang ECM

Search online for the pinouts....might be a simple thing.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The non-HO car 5.0 usually had smaller injectors as well. Something else to watch out for.

For a core 302 for a simple engine it is probably fine. For building up an EFI engine, better choices exist. I would value it at about $100 (core value on the engine).

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Find a junk explorer.......It's a complete package (roller motor and nice cam, EFI, and good front dress).

Tim

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I found 3 other V8 explorers in El Paso listed on Facebook. Looks like I'll be asking the wife for one of those for Christmas lol

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only in ca was the non hipo motor mass air in 1990 so everything is mostly speed density because in 91then went to the 4.6 Ltd
I have a 1990 town car motor it had 33 k miles so I pulled the trigger on it. And I didn’t want to re hold anything at the time. Will cruise on the fwy at 75 mph no prob

The Lopo 5.0 has the old firing order speed density 1,3 so hipo mustang parts won’t work / 14 lbs inlectors / flat top pistons so really can’t change the heads/ 160/ 150 hp depending on exhaust/ does have 280 ft lbs of torque @ 2000 rpm almost like a diesel and runs out of breath about 3800 rpm

I got the whole car for 500 bucks and sold the AOD for 450.00 so I got a free motor
Pull s good with my 4r70w but does lack the HP

But I would wait and get an explorer set up if I had to do it again, but the speed density is very easy to install just get all of the wiring to the computer it does the job and keeps me out of trouble

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
So, the local u pull has a v8 explorer. The motor has a knock, can I take all of the EFI setup off of it and put it on my 68 flat tappet block?

BroncoChicken

Yes but you have to swap out the cam synchro gear. The gear that is on there is steel and you need a cast gear to match the flat tappet cam. Get the front dress as well. Including the crank pulley. You’ll need the timing cover and all the wiring harness you can get.

Joe473

So, the local u pull has a v8 explorer. The motor has a knock, can I take all of the EFI setup off of it and put it on my 68 flat tappet block?

Give them $100 bucks fir the whole thing and build it into a stroker!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OX1

Bronco Guru
I'm sure others will chime in on this.....I could be wrong but I think the Crown Vic and the G-M were the same. And the Vic's went MAF in late 91 or early 92.

Now you COULD try and convert it to MAF and just run a different ECM. I did this. Took 96 speed density van harness and made it SN95 MAF....I run a 95 stang ECM

Search online for the pinouts....might be a simple thing.

Tim

92 was the 4.6, right??

Crown Vic/GM 5.0 was only 150 HP in EFI years, less earlier.

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Not to make this even more complicated but I have 95 mustang serpantine on the bronco as it sits now. Do I need the explorer setup to make this all work together or can I keep running the mustang stuff and just run the explorer efi specific parts? I appreciate the help so far, I'm building on a budget which is why I've got so many "can I keep this" sort of questions