• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found a SECOND playmate for the Ambulance Bronco (see post 170, pg. 12)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here's an article on the chase I found last night.

Todd Z.

P.S. Drew - your earlybroncos.com addy bounced when I tried to send these to you.

Attachments

• scan0012 (Large).jpg
    scan0012 (Large).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 105
  • scan0013 (Large).jpg
    scan0013 (Large).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 105
  • scan0014 (Large).jpg
    scan0014 (Large).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 144
  • scan0015 (Large).jpg
    scan0015 (Large).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Great article Todd.

Thanks for sharing that!

Here is a scan of another article from an industry magazine. Hopefully these are large enough to click on and read.

>>>>EDIT....they did not come through large enough and these are the only scans I have of this article. I can view my originals large enough on screen to read. I will see if I can enlarge these somehow and will repost if I can. <<<<<<

Notice that there are some discrepancies between some of the various articles about the exact number and types of vehicles used (i.e. one states there were theee F-100's, this one one states "an F-100", and I have read two elsewhere.) This article also mentions a Honda ATV which I had missed before, and also mentions the swap boat (air boat?) which must be what Willie was referring to as the hovercraft when we spoke out at Fabulous Fords Forever this past April.

Attachments

• VPO Mag Cover.jpg
    VPO Mag Cover.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 99
  • VPO Page 2.jpg
    VPO Page 2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 72
  • VPO Page 3.jpg
    VPO Page 3.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
So are you going to try and get the van next? ;)

Yes, if I can find one and the owner is open to selling I would try my best to strike a deal.

If anyone has any leads on one of these vans, please let me know!

I'd also be interested in the F-150 4x4 or the F-250 supercab that carried the 350 gallon bulk propane tank and refilling equipment. This vehicle was equipped with a propane powered 460.

The article I posted above is where I had read that after FoMoCo gave the green light on the project, they had to have the three vehicle on the cover of the VPO magazine converted and in Vegas for a press event in 2.5 days! The entire fleet of 10 vehicle was completed within one week!

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here is an article about the pilot of the balloon that Tasker found and sent me that was published in May 77 in People magazine:

May 30, 1977 Vol. 7 No. 21A

Superman or a Nut? No, Says Karl Thomas, He Just Needs An Annual Adventure

By Alan Steinberg

For ordinary mortals the idea of crossing the Atlantic Ocean in a balloon is madness. But for incurable adventurers it remains a dream, a quest to outdare Lindbergh. To date there have been 13 serious attempts to drift in the winds from the U.S. to Europe or Africa. None succeeded. Five men have died trying.

Karl Thomas of Troy, Mich. made his solo effort last June. His nine-story-high, helium-filled aerostat, named The Spirit of '76 in honor of the Bicentennial, lifted off from the Lakehurst, N.J. Naval Air Station on a calm summer evening. For the first 31 hours the balloon drifted eastward. But 400 miles south of Newfoundland Thomas ran into violent thunderstorms.

Lightning exploded all around him, and 50-mph winds kicked up monstrous waves below. Suddenly, Thomas recalls, a "ferocious downdraft" sent his craft plunging toward the dark Atlantic. Working to separate the gondola from the helium envelope before crashing, Thomas began to hit the emergency releases, but two of them popped prematurely, tilting the gondola on its side and dumping out 1,000 pounds of equipment, including Thomas' parachute and raft. With all that weight unintentionally jettisoned, the lightened balloon shot upward.

"In dangerous situations I've always acted aggressively and gotten myself out of trouble," says Thomas. He did so again, jumping about 220 feet into the sea, arms flailing to stay upright. He hit the water feet first, and the impact fractured three ribs and broke a blood vessel in his lung. Despite "astounding pain," he recounts, he somehow found his raft bobbing in the waves and clambered aboard. "I thought, god-dammit, I will survive! Somebody has lasted 37 days out here. Let's try for more." Mercifully, it was not that long. After four days and nights Thomas was plucked from the sea by a Europe-bound Russian freighter, which took him to Rotterdam.

Seven months later, back in Michigan, he attended a banquet during which a speaker described his Atlantic survival as "a miracle." Politely but firmly, Thomas disagreed. "People make their own miracles," he insisted. "I worked hard at staying alive, and when you accomplish something, you don't claim it a miracle. You claim it for yourself."

Who is Karl Thomas? He is a 28-year-old German-born aviator and businessman and a trained psychologist. Most of all he is—for lack of a more precise description—an "adventurer." Thomas himself warns egocentrically that "you have to make me up as you go along. I am not a conveniently labeled commodity. I am Karl Thomas, and Karl Thomas is many, many things."

He is, for certain, a supremely confident individual. "An adventurer is a person whose self-image actually exceeds what he is," Thomas says. "In a sense he's an egotist. He thinks he has few limitations, that he can overcome anything put in his path."

Five years ago, in order to "discover the essence of my personality and to enliven daily routine with stressful situations, which we need to grow and change," Thomas assembled an "adventure team" of friends and business associates. They agreed to embark on a series of once-in-a-lifetime experiences—one every year.

It was a flying and deep-sea-diving trip in the Bahamas in 1972, exploration of Mexico's Baja California the following year. They rafted the Colorado River in 1974, and on a $300 bet Thomas and a friend scrambled out of the Grand Canyon at night within a five-hour time limit. They made it with 18 minutes to spare. He went to Central and South America in 1975; when in Guatemala Thomas participated in his first bullfight. Both the bull and Thomas survived, to the cheers of a thoroughly drunk crowd.

The near-disastrous end to his transatlantic balloon attempt last year did not discourage him. A mere 50 hours after his arrival in Rotterdam by rescue ship, a patched-up Thomas was off on a balloon race in Holland (he won). And earlier this year, with the sponsorship of the Ford Motor Co., he piloted a hot-air balloon from Los Angeles to Jacksonville in 18 days, handily beating an old transcontinental record of 33 days set four years ago by publisher Malcolm Forbes.

All of which makes Karl Thomas sound like a compulsive thrill seeker. He shrugs off any notion that he's some kind of superman—or some kind of nut either. "I want people to say, 'That Karl Thomas, he's worked himself into great adventures. But he's nobody special. Maybe I can do that too.' "

True adventurers always seem to have trouble explaining why they do it, and Thomas is no exception. But, characteristically, he does not shrink from trying. A part of the answer lies in his driving competitiveness. "Whatever it is, if I consider it a challenge I want to win. I immediately want to do it better than anyone else. If I were suddenly crippled," he muses, "I'd go after Bobby Fischer in chess, thinking, sure I can do that.

"In America, people tend to live vicariously through other people's adventures. To get their hearts beating a little faster, they watch Kojak toughing through another murder case or hope that the home team scores seven points in the last minute. But I'm not here just to suffer through an existence. I want to experience everything firsthand, as much as I can in the time I have."

By "adventure," Thomas does not necessarily mean great feats of derring-do. "It's a relative thing," he says. "The person who wanders out of his own backyard for the first time is experiencing, I think, the same thrill as a traveler discovering a new country. Adventure is anything new to you."

His definition of course applies to himself. Growing up in small towns in Germany, Karl was such a fearless, insatiably curious toddler that his parents tethered him in the yard with a clothesline and dog harness. He always slipped free. "They could never keep me in the neighborhood. I'd just follow roads, wondering what's over there, what's next?" He was, he recalls, "often spanked memorably."
Karl's father worked at various times as a circus electrician (where he met

Karl's mother, a dancer), a government employee, a Luftwaffe combat pilot, an automobile repairman, a vacuum cleaner salesman. "My father detested authority figures, most of whom he found were idiots. He taught me the most valuable thing we have in life is our independence," Thomas says.

In practical translation, that meant a vagabond existence that kept the Thomas family moving from here to there in Germany, France, Canada and the east and west coasts of the U.S. (the elder Thomas now runs a plantation in Haiti). Along the way, young Karl learned the lessons of survival, sometimes operating like a junior con artist. He smuggled cigarettes in postwar Europe, hustled secondhand sneakers in Canada. By the time he was 14 he was in Florida living on a 38-foot boat. He caught live sharks for a local seaquarium and taught sailing. ("It was my introduction to dating. I'd take a girl out on the boat, tell her the water was full of sharks and try for a kiss.")

In a lengthening testament to over-achievement, he got his private pilot's license at 17, became a commercial pilot at 18 and obtained an airline transport rating at 21, then flew as a bush pilot in Alaska. Thomas went off to study psychology at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich., but found time from the classroom to finish sixth in his first national balloon competition and to thrust his way into the finals of the national fencing matches.

After earning his first psychology degree, Karl typically charged through a two-and-a-half-year master's program in one year. Then he had second thoughts. "I'd just spent 10 grand of my money to get these degrees and I'm thinking, 'What can I do with them? Nothing.' That's what motivated me to go into my own business."

Before long Thomas was involved with four small airports and two flying services, which he claims grossed $1 million his second year. But, always restless and changeable, his business interests appear to be branching out in several directions at once. At present he is a vice-president of the Aspen Steel Co. of Troy, owned by his friend Paul Johnson.

Karl Thomas' aggressive style turns some people off, attracts others and befuddles practically everybody. "My wife calls him a walking fiasco," a close friend commented, "because something unusual always happens when he's around." Even Thomas' wife, Michele, 25, admits her husband's frenetic pace leaves her breathless. "Karl's always devising new challenges, so our life is very disjointed," she says. "We never know what we're doing, day to day."

Michele first met Thomas at her father's restaurant in Troy. They were married a year ago. A graduate of the University of Michigan, Michele is now a medical technologist at Detroit's William Beaumont Hospital. Her interests lean toward cancer research and microbiology, and though she is eager "to get more personally involved in Karl's quests," she concedes she has doubts. "In his mind, the chances he takes are worth it, but in mine, I don't know."

Thomas insists he's not into adventuring for fame or profit. "My goal is to spend as little time as possible working for money and as much time as I can for my life's important things." (Thomas and his wife live in a "very average" six-room apartment in Troy.) He acknowledges, however, that his adventures are getting increasingly expensive. The balloon rig for his Atlantic flight cost about $150,000, and only the gondola was salvaged. None of it was insured. "So I've got to find ways to make each adventure pay for the next one. The fame is only a steppingstone to financing. Otherwise, it's meaningless to me."

These days Thomas has been joined by his younger brother, George, 25, a nautical engineer, in working on a revolutionary new boat. Gnawing on a pen ("I bite pens. Lately I've developed a real relish for red plastic ones"), Thomas happily unrolls a sketch of the vessel and exults: "Sometime this fall we're going to contribute a new concept in sailboat racing—a radically new design—and the hell with international ocean-racing regulations."

For Karl Thomas there's always another challenge. "I've always enjoyed the guy in the circus with the plates and poles. He gets one plate spinning, then another and another. If the first one starts to wobble he goes back and spins it again.

"Some people spend their whole lives just working the one plate. I'd like to have 25, 30 plates going—as many as I can. Once in a while I'll drop and break a plate. But what the hell," Thomas says, "at least I've tried."

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Yes, if I can find one and the owner is open to selling I would try my best to strike a deal.

If anyone has any leads on one of these vans, please let me know!

I'd also be interested in the F-150 4x4 or the F-250 supercab that carried the 350 gallon bulk propane tank and refilling equipment. This vehicle was equipped with a propane powered 460.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind having an RVI van like that !! vector wheels and all !!! sweet !!!

Attachments

• c2211.jpg
    c2211.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 162
  • c2209.jpg
    c2209.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I just decoded the VIN, but can someone decode the buck tag info on this truck?

VIN info indicates:

F10 = F100 2wd
H= 351 V8
R= San Jose assembly plant

117= 117" wheelbase

A= Black paint code

F103= F100 2WD pickup

BA- Black, all vinyl interior trim

G= 3 speed auto

06J= 2.75 open 9" rear, power steering on front

4900= GVW

1977= model year

86= special DSO code for "Recreation", i.e. customizers such as R.V.I. who probably pulled this out of their stock since it was built in November 76.

Is that tubing for the PS pump how they all are? I guess is is cheap, crude way to make a cooler.

Also, what are the two tapered studs that stick down from the frame behind the front bumper for (one seen under the PS "cooler"?

Attachments

• CIMG7912.JPG
    CIMG7912.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 61
  • CIMG7919.JPG
    CIMG7919.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 73

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Is that tubing for the PS pump how they all are? I guess is is cheap, crude way to make a cooler.

Also, what are the two tapered studs that stick down from the frame behind the front bumper for (one seen under the PS "cooler"?

Pretty standard way to make a p/s cooler. I'm not sure if they were all that way or not. I know on the later years they ran it up and down the front crossmember to maximize the length of the tubing.

My guess on the tapered studs is that they may have been alignment pins of some sort for fixturing/assembling the frame?

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Pretty standard way to make a p/s cooler. I'm not sure if they were all that way or not. I know on the later years they ran it up and down the front crossmember to maximize the length of the tubing.

My guess on the tapered studs is that they may have been alignment pins of some sort for fixturing/assembling the frame?

Todd Z.

I guess they went high tech with the fins on the little Bronco cooler! ;D

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here is another try on the article I posted yesterday that came though too small...

Attachments

• VPO-March 77-Cover.jpg
    VPO-March 77-Cover.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 87
  • VPO-March 77-Page 2.jpg
    VPO-March 77-Page 2.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 70
  • VPO-March 77-Page 3.jpg
    VPO-March 77-Page 3.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 65

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
they all have those studs back then.....my vans did too...

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Have you got an estimate from Rocky Roads yet?

LOL!

Maybe we could get a multi car discount if we have them do the Ambulance and the F-100?

I'm sure I could not afford it. That aluminum diamond plate they use is to rich for my blood! ;D %)

Bronco Biff

Nice work, Drew! I still have a couple of '73-'79 f series and love them. The one that gets the most use has a '77 lincoln 460/C-6. I very much like this combination far better that the 351M. Comparable fuel consumption but far more torque and hp. The tapered pegs on the frame were used on the assembly line as verified by a friend who worked on the line at the ford truck plant that was here in Norfolk.