• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Pillars, Door, and Windshield alignment......

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
My 76 started with the hopes of just doing the floor pans and braces. When I started pulling the rocker panels it was evident the front door pillars were just rusted out and needed to be replaced. So, I hung/supported the firewall and windshield and took out the door pillars.

With that said, I'm finally at the point of installing the door pillars. However, I'm struggling to align the door pillars, doors, and windshield frame. I seem to have a 1/2"-3/4" plus the gap between the window frame and windshield. Also, the doors have become a nightmare to close. I was thinking of putting on the 1/2 cab top to hold the windshield at the perfect angle to then focus on the door pillar/door closing issue. Does this sound like a solid plan? On a side note, I haven't tied the floor pans into the firewall just yet. Obviously, the windshield is leaning into the cab of the truck, so I was thinking of installing the bulkhead and 1/2 cab top in order to set the windshield angle. I figure this would then allow me to just focus on door pillar/door alignment.

Also, what is an acceptable gap between the windshield frame and window frame? 1/2"? 3/8?

Thank you sooooooo much in advance.

sticknstring

I'm not qualified to help you with the order of assembly problem but I can tell you the door/windshield frame gap on my original tub is 5/16 of an inch. Hope this helps you good luck!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You don't want to put the floorpans in till last. I would get the doors fit to the rear quarter first. The windshield frame should fit fine once you get the doors fit. Then on to the rockers and then the floor. Gaps are usually 1/4 to 3/8 but look best at the low side. It is a bugger to fit them door posts but a few hours on them and you should get it. Ken

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
Aligning these doors has been a nightmare. i seem to have the doors and gaps to a point where I could live with them. However, if this bronco starts to sag anywhere I will be screwed. Ugh.

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
Yeah, I started on all new body mounts. Sadly, the TBP sheet metal was not what I would expect from parts costing so much. From what I have read, it's par for the course and hit or miss. I'm hoping things tighten up more once I put the welder on the panels.