• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Black vs Body Colored Engine Bay?

sk1nw4lk3r

I'm about to pull my engine and this will be a good time to clean up the engine bay.

I have a 70 Mustang, and in Mustangs, 99% of them the engine bay is flat black.

I am going to spray the interior of the Bronco's engine bay, just have to decide if I want to try to color match my exterior, or just paint it black and move on with my life.

Anybody with a non-black Bronco have any pics of black engine bays?

Thanks.

martaylo

I don't have any pictures to provide, but I did just spend about 3 months looking for a Bronco and almost all of the better quality ones had body colored bays. It just looks better. But it will also show wear and tear more too. If you think you'll ever sell it I'd go with body color.

I just did a quick google image search to check out the difference in appearance. Might try the same if you don't get a lot of results here. There's about a hundred or so pictures of non-black broncos with color matched and black engine bays.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
To me they look like you are trying to hide something. I painted my fender wells and fire wall smooth body color. But the aprons incoated in paintable rubberized undercoat and then painted body color. That was to hide some inperfctions on them and make it look like i wasnt trying to hide anything. Lol

House

Minutia Militia
Black looks like color change cover up crap to me too...:-X

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

KeithKinPhx

Go body color. You need to paint the cowl area and that looks bad in black IMHO.

This is mine as of today. Should have videos of paint up in a week or two on YouTube under Rising Phoenix Bronco. Oh and if you watch enough of my videos you will see the 66 Mustang convertible in the background. The bay is black on that one. For some reason the Broncos look better with color.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I'm about to pull my engine and this will be a good time to clean up the engine bay.

I have a 70 Mustang, and in Mustangs, 99% of them the engine bay is flat black.

I am going to spray the interior of the Bronco's engine bay, just have to decide if I want to try to color match my exterior, or just paint it black and move on with my life.

Anybody with a non-black Bronco have any pics of black engine bays?

Thanks.

Maybe go factory. Was that body color?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Maybe go factory. Was that body color?

Yes, they were body color from the factory.

Of course with as many new buyers looking that don't have any Bronco knowledge engine bay color doesn't matter as much as it did since they don't know what to look for.

KBUCK1

I like body color. I did spray the underside of my hood with black bedliner just to give it a different look. Plus I thought ut might be easier to keep clean that way

Attachments

• IMG_20170613_144437.jpg
    IMG_20170613_144437.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 184

Attac

Contributor
Here is one

Attachments

• IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 142

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Body Color engine bay.

Every Early Bronco engine bay from the factory was body color.

KeithKinPhx

Kbuck your bay inspired me to redo mine. I am beginning to install components. You have a radiator fluid capture tank. Where did you buy and do you have a picture of how you mounted it?

Thanks

KBUCK1

Kbuck your bay inspired me to redo mine. I am beginning to install components. You have a radiator fluid capture tank. Where did you buy and do you have a picture of how you mounted it?

Thanks

Thanks. I bought it at Summit. They have quite a few that are similar. Ill try and get you a picture tomorrow but its pretty straight forward. It has a bracket on one side and i just used stainless button head screws to mount it to the core support

STalon89

I went with raptor liner. It matches my interior and underside of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_5336.jpg
    IMG_5336.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 124

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Body color is factory but there isn't much factory left on my ride.
I went with black and bent up some 6160 aluminum for the firewall to strengthen and deflect some heat off the fiberglass tub.

Attachments

• 2018-02-11 17.46.01.jpg
    2018-02-11 17.46.01.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 125