• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rollbar & carpet - which first

KeithKinPhx

I purchased a rollbar from ProtoFab. Tub is body color Peacock Blue over Lizardskin

I have seen the bar mounted over the carpet and seen the carpet cut to go around the posts. Which is the cleaner look?

Just asking because one video they hacked the carpet open, layer it over the floor and secured with spray adhesive. Seemed a little high school shop classish.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I believe you will want that rollcage bolted directly to the floor and carpet trimmed around it. A good carpet person will do a good job. Ken

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Cage first, carpet after. Some day you will need to pull carpet and dry it.... You don't want to pull the cage to make it happen and you don't want moisture trapped between the cage and floor.

suckerpunched

rollbar first then carpet. Its really not that hard to lay the carpet in and roll it up next to the bar to get a location and cut a hole with a slit to the outside edge. you can initially cut the hole smaller than it needs to be, stuff the carpet around it and see where you need to cut more. I had never done it before either but it was easier to get right than i thought it was going to be. also it helped to cut small holes in the pad where the bolts are to get the carpet to lay down flat over the bolts and flange.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you want the roll cage/bar to function as a safety device in an accident then you need to mount it solidly with nothing that could compress and allow it to float loose and then tear away.