• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas smell!??!?!

Drod9082

Mjm,
I was wondering if you fixed the problem, because I have the same problem. If you did what worked...

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
DROD---sort of fixed it but not really. So, a few months ago, i took it in to a local 4x4 shop (same guy has done other work for me--disc brake conversion/4x4 issues, etc) He basically did some top-end maintenance stuff. New gaskets,seals, etc etc. Well, I didn notice that the exhaust smell wasnt as bad as before, but its still there. However, with my exhaust running straight out the back-end, I've heard that could be adding to the problem as the exhaust balls up behind the tailgate. So, Im gonna get my pipes turned to exhaust out 90degrees behind the wheels and see if that works.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You may also be getting fumes in from the fresh air vent or the heat air intake at the hood. Do you have seals on them and do they seal to the hood? You may try blocking them off with tape and turn your heater off then drive down the road and test it.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
hahaha---i thought the same thing---had mine for 8 yrs and have never known what driving a bronco is like WITHOUT the exhaust smell!...

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
If the exhaust is running straight out the back I would suspect this is the problem. The brick-like aerodynamics TBS-POPS mentions causes the air flow to go over the top and curl back toward the front, bringing the exhaust gases with it. Put somebody with long hair in the passenger seat with the top off, and you will see what I mean. I run mine to the side behind the rear wheels. No problem there.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Yeah, I've heard the same thing about the airflow or lack there of. It seems pretty common to run the pipes out behind the wheels. First on my list is a new gas tank, new electronic ignition and then finally, the modified exhaust.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Oooold thread...

So you have vent lines on your rear tank? What are they connected to?

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
When my garage quits smelling like gas i know im getting low on fuel and gas her up. Doesnt everyone's bronco smell like gas inside and out?;D

Tasty Geezer

When my exhaust exited straight out the rear, I would smell it coming in as soon as I started driving and always smelled like gas...

I went to a muffler shop and had them cut my exhaust and turn it out at a 45° behind the rear wheels = no more fumes in the truck!

Attachments

• rear exhaust.jpg
    rear exhaust.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Ironic---we're talking gas smells in the cab, and I don't even have my tank hooked up!! Soon as I get my new tank kit from Toms in and mounted, Im taking this to the muffler shop. Geezer---if you dont mind me asking, what did it cost you to get your mufflers turned 45 degrees...(i know all muffler shops are different, just looking at ballpark and not to get ripped off).

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
And JEFE---yes, my vent line (from tank) is connected to the fuel filler neck. I only have one vent on it sooooo.....thats all i got!

patterdale

Bronco Guru
yeah, the exhaust exits out the back end. However, it doesn't matter if the hard top is on or if I go with no top....the same amount of exhaust smell occurs with both. Is there anyway to minimize that smell?

Route the exhaust out the side just behind the rear tire as it was stock. I have a bone stock 1970 with the exhaust in the original position and have no smell. Also make sure it is not running rich. I put a lot of miles on back in the 70's riding in a camper on a f-250 and remember that same kind of smell. Answers a few questions as to why I am the way I am now.

Tasty Geezer

Ironic---we're talking gas smells in the cab, and I don't even have my tank hooked up!! Soon as I get my new tank kit from Toms in and mounted, Im taking this to the muffler shop. Geezer---if you dont mind me asking, what did it cost you to get your mufflers turned 45 degrees...(i know all muffler shops are different, just looking at ballpark and not to get ripped off).

I seem to remember being charged $70 + the cost of the tips...seemed fair at the time as I was desperate to keep the exhaust out the cab

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well I had the EXACT same problem in the cab until I fixed and sealed the in cab hoses like this!,
,,,I did it last month and NOW I do not have any gas fumes in the cab or garage!.

..it's called JB Weld! ;>);D;)

Attachments

• Canister Repaired.png
    Canister Repaired.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Canister Bad-B4.png
    Canister Bad-B4.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 53

sixtyniner

It smells more like exhaust than it does raw gas. ?

Just for the heck of it do you have any kind of oil leaks that may be dripping on to your exaust that would create fumes and permiate up into cab? Leaks may not make it to your floor but just land on your exaust and burn off before they become too noticable.

Also...If you live in a hot climate you may not see fuel leaks/cracks in tubing due to the rapid evaporation of fuel.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
I dont think i have any sort of leaks that are dripping on the exhaust. But, its quite possible just for the fact that its a 43 yr old vehicle!! Soon as my new gas tank/and parts gets here, i'll put that badboy back on and then get them exhaust tips re-routed behind the tires to see if that helps any.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
And JEFE---yes, my vent line (from tank) is connected to the fuel filler neck. I only have one vent on it sooooo.....thats all i got!
What about the 2 vapor/return lines? Are those 2 nipples open?

Found out mine were open and when I went to fill the tank up gas started pouring out

Just reread it and saw you have a 69 so no vapor canister or charcoal canister. Are the 60s Bronco tanks different than 70s? Why aren't all of the 70s Broncos just capping the vent nipples and running a vented cap? Im currently routing vent lines to the firewall is why I ask. Had to pickup a charcoal canister too

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Man, that sounds complicated. But yeah, mine only has the vent tube connecting to the filler neck and the filler tube as well. I am not running a vented cap....should I be?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I'm learning as I go on mine but I don't know how else you would be able to pump gas out of the tank without some sort of vent. If you havent had a problem with that then I wouldnt change it. Any problems filling the tank up full? If you still have a fuel smell then it might have something to do with that. A vented cap would probably still let a small fuel smell out. I clearly dont know the 60s bronco fuel system too well...