• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine woes

Bronco1294

OK all- my stock 302 is on it’s last legs unexpectedly. I do NOT have a lot of cash but it looks like the motor needs to be pulled and replaced. Looking for suggestions- inexpensive but solid. Would like more power than the 302/2bbl stock provided but I don’t need a coyote.

It’s a 75, C4 uncut LUBR. Truck will be a driver- in the mountains, camping, some wheeling, maybe tow my ATV or pop up but mostly just a driver. Fuel injection would be nice for high altitude but not a requirement.

Budget is a huge concern. I live in Elizabeth, co in case anybody local has suggestions or a 351 for sale cheap... :)

And- GO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Explorer 5.0
Keep all the EFI but toss the carb on for now. Keep the Explorer front dress. Pick up a roller cam compatible distributor.

Cheap and solid. When you pick up a little more money sort out the EFI and put it on.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
^^^^ YUP.....

You will need to add a low pressure fuel pump as the roller blocks don't have the ability to run a fuel pump. Adding the high output Alt will require a couple wiring changes....

Just in case you get gt40P heads, not to worry as the explorer manifolds wok with the Bronco

Tim

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you dont have the money how did you deturmine what is going wrong with your present engine. Saving what you have can buy you time to get a proper engine for your ride.

things that should be checked:
Compression check
engine leak down test (compression pressure leaking out the exhaust, the intake or valve cover)
timing chain slack
engine oil pressure cold
engine oil pressure when warmed up.
black smoke when idling.
white steam when idling (steam)
grey blue smoke when idling
creamy oil
oil in the radiator
compression leak into the coolant popping the radiator cap like a boil over.
with c4 and a white smoke condition make sure the vacuum modulator on the transmission is not leaking in the vacuum line to the intake creating billowing smoke out the exhaust.

It just depends on what your actual failure is.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you are not already a member of Colorado Classic Broncos you should be.
EFI Guy is the Explorer EFI guru and he lives in the Denver area.

See the link in my sig if you need to join.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, do some testing like Rusty truck said. I've seen many engines come back to life after a good tune up. Your problem could just be in the ignition system or carb. Good luck

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

If you dont have the money how did you deturmine what is going wrong with your present engine. Saving what you have can buy you time to get a proper engine for your ride.

things that should be checked:
Compression check
engine leak down test (compression pressure leaking out the exhaust, the intake or valve cover)
timing chain slack
engine oil pressure cold
engine oil pressure when warmed up.
black smoke when idling.
white steam when idling (steam)
grey blue smoke when idling
creamy oil
oil in the radiator
compression leak into the coolant popping the radiator cap like a boil over.
with c4 and a white smoke condition make sure the vacuum modulator on the transmission is not leaking in the vacuum line to the intake creating billowing smoke out the exhaust.

It just depends on what your actual failure is.

Took it in to have rear main done- they said the main bearings are down to copper and the motor has to come out to replace the rear main. I guess the rope is really crammed in there.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you were a do it your selfer that's a 100 dollar job to replace the rod and main bearings and the rear seal, Gaskets and I would throw in a new oil pump for an additional 50. oil change and filter and a jug of antifreeze another 50. That should buy you some serious time if your not hard on your stuff.

You just to keep focused on what your doing and stay out of the rabbit trap, trying to suck $2500 bucks out of you.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The rabbit hole...
The mains are about gone, so will be the rods. Being a small block ford, so is the cam bearings. Oil pump and timing chain as well. How do the cylinder walls look? Probably should look into the heads while this far apart.
And you just did a full rebuild.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if you have to hire a shop to do the engine swap I would find a friendly shop that uses Jasper engines, and keep it stock.
Jasper gives a 3 year warranty. A lot of shops around here do plenty of Jasper engines and trannys.
I don't know if it makes sense to upgrade to a 351 if you can't do it yourself because you will get bogged down and pay the shop to do custom work.
When I worked for a rent a truck company we used ATK. I think ATK is just OK.
If I was doing it myself I would go with and Explorer V8, but a local shop will get bogged down converting old style to new style, unless you have a Bronco friendly shop that knows what they are doing.
Good luck

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

Question- will a 5.8 out of a 1993 bronco with EFI work? Do I have to update the tranny? Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 351 will work
The truck EFI is too tall
The transmission will be fine (or it is already on its last legs).

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

Does this 302 look complete other than a carb?
4e2e10204a5ff9df104b38ff89beb912.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

Thoughts on dropping a 5.0 Cobra in the 75 with a C4?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the problem with an engine just sitting there is you don't really know the story. Why did they take it out?
And they should have taped over the carb opening.
You don't know if it is a low mileage only driven to church on Sunday motor or a worn out beast of burden.
Too many unknowns for me to pay a lot of money.
Good luck