• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight Adjusting Screw Install - don't want to break them

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
So I got some new headlights and install kit from Tom's.

I've got everything out from the old ones and the wiring in and tested to make sure the headlights were getting power.

But I've hit a roadblock in that I can't seem to get the new adjusting screws (this is a hyperlink) to go on.

I've pushed. I've gently tapped with hammer (both in the middle and then tried a see-saw to get one side first), but to no avail.

I don't want to hit them too hard and damage them; so I'm stuck.

Am I just doing it wrong? Is there something I'm missing as there were no instructions (because this ought to be a pretty self explanatory install)? Should I remove the metal clip and insert it first and then the plastic, then the screw? My grille attachments are "straight" to the naked eye and aren't damaged or bent.

I need to get these on today since she's my daily and it's supposed to rain tomorrow!

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Done.
Removed the metal piece. Installed it. Then seesaw’d The plastic back in with a hammer.

Lights are in and just waiting to be aimed in the evening.

Timstrk

Headlight adjusting screws

Having just done this I will share. Get a deep socket that will clear the screw and land on the plastic part that needs to be pushed into the hole. Slip joint pliers near the back and top of the socket and squeeze into place. The metal for the back side of the headlight bent a little but it straightened back out. Only way I could figure out how to do it. Hope this makes sense.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i take a heat gun to them and warm them up, have the screw just started to be able to hold it and use that to pop them in place. watch the metal tab to ensure it goes into the slot. i like to put a safety wire wrap in a X pattern on mine to ensure they stay snug into the bracket tight. this way i know the adjustment is accurate.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I don't know I used a 5/16 socket and drove them in. after I broke the first one just trying to hit it with a hammer%)

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I ended up sliding a small screwdriver down the side to release / force it off. My assumption was to put it back together around the bracket. Worked for one, not for the other so I used another mounting screw assembly and that worked. If you're ordered these, I would get a few extras to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Two screw drivers (like the size for glasses) then it slid out of the metal sheath. Put the metal piece in. Then I installed the screw all the way through the threads until it was flush with the plastic (to engage all threads to keep it from stripping or flexing out of shape). Then gently hammered the screw and edges in a seesaw pattern until it set in place.