• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DIY Coyote, what's a ballpark cost?

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Ok, seeing all these new Coyote engines swapped into Broncos has got me thinking that is the pinnacle of swaps...good power, new technology, sounds like a monster, looks sexy.

I'm running an old school 351w and like it for what it is...torque monster with a bit of a reputation. I have no compelling reason to swap it out for a Coyote but dang...they are so freaking cool. I'm on a budget like most of us and I know that for a price I could drop my EB at a custom shop and stroke a check to get one put in but that's not how I roll, and would prefer to put the Bucks elsewhere. So for me, I think that my cutoff point. Would be around $8K, meaning if it could be done by me at my house with some buddies, and total cost for a pick-n-pull engine, combined with the required parts like transmission adapters, exhaust, etc...if it could be done for $8k or less then I think it's possibly in my future. If the price for a budget Coyote swap is significantly over that price then I will accept reality and invest way less into something like the 408 Stroker.

I've tried adding up component costs on BCBroncos site but it's honestly confusing and probably requires some consultation.

So what say you? Has anyone established a cost for this DIY Coyote swap? Let me know if I'm just dreaming. By the way, I'm running manual transmission and going to an AX15 if that is helpful.

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
No feedback yet? Are most of the Coyote swaps high dollar custom shop work?

klawrence

Loc.
SE PA
Ballpark...

3-4k for a used coyote out of an F150
1500 for the ford control pak
~2k for a rebuilt 4r70w (if going with this transmission) 500 for the controller
front end serpentine kit with alt/AC etc 1500 from bcbroncos)
1k for misc (new front cover for the f150 coyote, mounts , etc etc0

still need custom shorty headers/exhaust,fuel system.

BCbroncos has all you need. I got most of my parts from them excluding the coyote.

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Thanks KLawrence...so maybe in the 10k range depending on accessories and transmission etc.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
The number for the conversion I typically hear is 20k. Not sure what all that includes but several people have used the same number. I am sure if you are DIY it can be done cheaper.

klawrence

Loc.
SE PA
Yes I was listing the big items...All said and done is at least 15k DIY. I could go on and on of all the extras that it required, I am afraid to look at my receipt box.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Looks like you can find a used engine with around 100K on it for the 2$k range. The control pack is ~$1500 and I'm betting you can get the fuel system done for under $500. Probably will need that kit from B.C Broncos as I doubt a yard engine will come with accessories. That is $5500 without a transmission - what I basically have into my built 351W. Another $500 for a conversion bell housing to bolt to a C4 auto and you can basically have it moving for 6k + whatever driveshaft and x-member changes that requires (if at all).

Ouch - and I had grandiose ideas of putting a blower on one of these for a buggy build.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If you need everything the price will be close to $26K. That would include everything from the radiator to fuel tank. Everything new or rebuilt. Atlas ll and 1350 driveshafts. 4r70w and controllers. That gets you 435 very smooth hp and a 1 yr warranty from ford

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you need everything the price will be close to $26K. That would include everything from the radiator to fuel tank. Everything new or rebuilt. Atlas ll and 1350 driveshafts. 4r70w and controllers. That gets you 435 very smooth hp and a 1 yr warranty from ford

F that :eek:

There are the Mecum ways to do things and U-Pull ways to do things - nothing is that cut and dry. I'm betting it is easier to cut that check though - :D

Last edited:

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Of course you are right. I typed that with everything new or rebuilt, that means anything you don't have to buy new will cut your cost. Used everything that can be bought used should cut the cost by 50% or a little more. ie you have a EFI fuel tank will save you about $500. If you have atlas ll $2500 more, 1310 driveshafts $600, Sbelt radiator $500 Save big on the engine. To use our install kit the engine must be a 2015-17 but you can make your own brackets and use whatever engine and save there also.
For us selling to others over time we find that we end up with less options. ie the 1310 driveshaft will last for a little while but if we use it in a build the customer expects to be able to hammer down off the line and not throw a driveshsft while popping that wheelie. If you use the 1310 in your build you know now that it will not last so you can take it easy and if not you have bragging rights ;).

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Haha - yeah, your kit is unbelievably complete and maybe some day... I had 1310s last quite long with big tires and a heavy foot, but ultimately never left my mind that they were a ticking time bomb. 1410 flange drive shafts FTW!

What is the deal with the 15-17 install, what changed? I'm surprised that all of the 11' up engines are not the same.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
1350 or 1410 what does that leave as the weakest part then?
Which part acts as the 'fuse'?

Like the old joke back in the day 'A $300 picture tube will blow to protect a 10¢ fuse.'

Iwannagofast

Yep about 20-26k depending on which route you decide to take. I learned, i am putting a high output ford performance coyote crate in mine. Here is a simple list for my truck

Coyote crate
control pack
AX15 trans
Advance adapters adapting kit for trans and atlas
Atlas II Diff
Radiator & Fans
A/C Kit
Clutch
Motor Mount
Fuel Take/EFI set up
New speedo/Gauge
Serpentine Kit
Oil Filter relocation kit
Custom Made headers
And there is more just typing this as i go but im all about doing things right the first time so i wanted everything perfect.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
1350 or 1410 what does that leave as the weakest part then?
Which part acts as the 'fuse'?

Like the old joke back in the day 'A $300 picture tube will blow to protect a 10¢ fuse.'

Why have a fuse? I want to have fun and not worry about wrenching - I'm thinking the weakest link in my setup are the differential pinions, but that is going to take quite some doing to break a D60 or D70 pinion.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
We try to make the tire to pavement the weak link:) but if they hook up real hard next in line will be expensive like the trans input shaft, pinion shaft or axle shaft. Coby H. used to have problems with the C-4 input shaft on black cloud.