• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC fuel tank removal

Texas Edition

Loc.
Odessa, Texas
I need to remove a BC aftermarket fuel tank (23gal) to install new elec. low pressure fuel pump. The tank was installed when the body was off so it looks like its going to be a pain.Any short cuts or proper procedures would be helpful. Do I need to cut the fill tube and the other rubber hoses off or can they be removed when I attempt to drop the tank, etc. Any help or things to watch for would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
A lot of this makes no sense. An in tank pump has no low pressure pump therefore you don't have to drop the tank. If the low pressure pump is out, it's on the outside of the tank and you don't have to drop the tank.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Texas Edition

Texas Edition

Loc.
Odessa, Texas
I bought an in the tank low pressure fuel pump from BC Bronco to replace an existing one already in the tank( whom I bought it from originally). I have a carb engine with electonic ignition. The engine was originally and EFI and I decided to go the carb route so there is no place for a mechanical pump. If I can use an external electric fuel pump and leaving the in the tank fuel pump with no problem I will gladly do that. I may not be explaining it right.
I'm assuming my problem is a bad fuel pump. I checked wiring and am getting voltage to the pump but it isn't coming on. It started out just randomly quitting but now it doesn't pump at all. If this isn't correct I'm assuming I was sold the wrong stuff!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Get a Carter external pump, mount it on the frame near the gas tank. Use the wiring to the in tank pump to wire up the external carter, hook up your fuel lines, good to go.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If the intank pump does not have a leak and is not plugged up and you want to use an external pump you should be able to just abandon it in place and add the external pump. If you decide to replace the internal pump that shouldn't be a big deal either. No cutting needed just loosen the hose clamp on the filler hose and push the hose off, disconnect the fuel hose and wires, loosen the 4 mounts and let the tank down.
PS I don't think you got the wrong pump because it does not run. Any pump should run, if it were wrong you would have too much pressure and flood the carb. We only sell 12v pumps, high pressure and low pressure . So if it does not run either the pump is bad or is not getting power. If the pump is bad BCB will replace it. And if it is not getting power give me a call and we can figure out why.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas Edition

Texas Edition

Loc.
Odessa, Texas
Thanks for the response Chuck. I decided to go ahead and remove the tank to see if I can find out exactly what is wrong. I've already purchased a replacement pump from you and have it in hand. As far as the removal of the tank you made it sound easier than what I have experienced so far, but I am working through it. I will call when I get it out and hopefully find out what the problem is! Again thanks for the response!