• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers !??

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have a 73 with a 302 and auto trans.
I have an exhaust leak and am wondering if I should put headers on it. I already have a nice sound that i am very happy with. It’s quiet on the trail and highway BUT when i step on the go pedal it comes Alive with a very nice, semi loud sound but not obnoxious, just lets others know I’m doing the best I can ha!

If I put a header on will the noise inside the cab increase. it all goes into one muffler and I want to keep that set up. What INEXPENSIVE brand would you recommend? I don’t need it pretty I just want it to function for YEARS AND YEARS TO COME!

Thanks

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

yakelys69

From my experience I would say cast iron is quieter, longer life, and cooler then headers on the engine/cab side. Many others have more experience then me maybe they will share what they have experienced.

I bought a new set of Stainless Steel Shorty Headers specifically for a bronco and they leaked from the welds before I installed them (glad i tested b4 install). Also Sanderson does not make Stainless Steel Shorty Header which is not alway obvious. ... at least for the bronco, but i don't think at all

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The headers won't really change the sound much. The tubes add a high pitched ring to the overall noise. The tube wall ring like a bell. Tap a tube with a wrench and that ring is what you gain as the exhaust pulses hit the tube walls. Doesn't really change what comes out the muffler with everything else equal.

I've done headers to manifolds and it took a moment to tell there was any change, it was the ringing was gone that I never knew was there before.

The two sets of headers I had good success with are the standard Headmans and Duffs. Either one will still require exhaust work, they don't made to the exhaust in the same place or the same way as the manifolds.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The headers won't really change the sound much. The tubes add a high pitched ring to the overall noise. The tube wall ring like a bell. Tap a tube with a wrench and that ring is what you gain as the exhaust pulses hit the tube walls. Doesn't really change what comes out the muffler with everything else equal.

I've done headers to manifolds and it took a moment to tell there was any change, it was the ringing was gone that I never knew was there before.

The two sets of headers I had good success with are the standard Headmans and Duffs. Either one will still require exhaust work, they don't made to the exhaust in the same place or the same way as the manifolds.

That ring is music with good compression and the right cam.;)

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have their shortys and they work. which ones are the ones that don't work

So what’s the difference between the long and shorts and why one over the other? I have a stock 302

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
So what’s the difference between the long and shorts and why one over the other? I have a stock 302

Both have better flow and reduced back pressure over manifolds.
Long primary tubes create an educator effect where the flow of the cylinders actually help pull the exhaust out of the adjacent cylinders in a process called scavenging.
This is especially helpful with factory SBF heads since they have restrictive exhaust.
Long tube headers are a good upgrade. If you go this route though, plan to re-jet the carb to get the most out of it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the longest time all headers were long tube. Then in the late 80s the shorty headers came out which were a manifold replacement header or factory short header replacement. The product was created so it could be a bolt in to replace a factory part and not modify the down pipe. You could throw speed parts at your fox body mustang and they bolt right on and you are still smog legal. The rise of the shorty header. Later found its way into other areas, namely in the name of packaging. All those long tubes take a lot of room. The shorty is a compromise design, as well as the mid length. They flow better then cast manifolds, but package better then long tubes.

For a stockish type engine, I doubt you will ever tell the difference. And you can get shorty headers that work better then long tube headers on some engines. There are some combos that just don't work right. Where something should work, it doesn't. Get a weird harmonic, the tube over scavages due to an odd cam timing, post collector pipe length is just right to reverb back into the header at the wrong time. Several oddball things can mean one product will work better than the other for engine A but the other way around for engine B. And there is almost no difference between A and B. So there is no guarantee which one will work best unless you get both and try both, on your engine and in your truck.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
From what I’ve been reading recently the shortys are good for low end torque and the long tubes test better for high rpm horsepower. Given the nature of the Broncos and lift\tire combinations and low speed off-roading I would guess the shorty is a good match.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Nope the long tubes make more low end torque.

Usually the only time you lose low end torque by going big is with way too big of exhaust pipe.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you're just after "the look" and "ease of installation" go with shorties.
If you want them to make a difference, go with long tubes.

This "ease of installation" thing shouldn't even be a Bronco owner's vocabulary. %)

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
if you're just after "the look" and "ease of installation" go with shorties.
If you want them to make a difference, go with long tubes.

This "ease of installation" thing shouldn't even be a bronco owner's vocabulary. %)

/\/\this/\/\

Broncobowsher

Total hack

As per post 11, things are different and you get different results. I was very happy going from headers to a set of ported cast iron manifolds and didn't loose any power (had a couple different dyno days and I believe there is before and after that was the same). Too many years ago and lost data. But I didn't use stock manifolds, used 289 K-code manifolds and port matched them to the trick flow heads. So again, not an even comparison.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just for clearance easier fitting I would recommend Shorties or the Hooker 6909 which is a 3/4 length header.

Both are easy to fit a 2-into-1 exhaust system. If you stick with the same pipe and muffler, there won't be much change in sound if any.

yakelys69

Couple things I've experienced with only exhaust changes & may or may not matter but can't hurt to know.

• Long tube headers wont work with high pinion dana 44's. *
  • Long tube headers felt better power wise then my short headers.
  • Long tube headers burnt my feet/floorboards
  • I noticed no difference in torque between my shorties and k code manifolds except my efi engine ran better without leaks before the o2 sensors.

* not sure but I think Long tube fender exit headers would sweet. I think someone has some.
:D

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Couple things I've experienced with only exhaust changes & may or may not matter but can't hurt to know.

• Long tube headers wont work with high pinion dana 44's.
    This may be true with other brands of headers but the JD long tubes will work with a HP 44 as long as it is not a full width 44. We have one in the stable with that combo and it works/fits great.
  • Long tube headers felt better power wise then my short headers.
  • Long tube headers burnt my feet/floorboards
    We have 3 in the stable with ceramic long tubes. the ceramic may help here. Two of ours have carpet kits while the other one has spray in liner. all 3 have been a joy to drive even in the summer.
  • I noticed no difference in torque between my shorties and k code manifolds except my efi engine ran better without leaks before the o2 sensors.

* not sure but I think Long tube fender exit headers would sweet. I think someone has some.
I have ran a modified version of these in my crawler. My only gripe was they sat very close to my floor boards and wanted to occupy the same space as my tires when articulating and turning hard. Really grinds my gears when you get a brand new line x job done to your floor boards just to see the exhaust make it bubble up, crack and peel. Even had the pipes wrapped with titanium header wrap.Totally not a fan of that stuff but I didn't consider ceramic because the pipes were already old and worn. %)