• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ax15

Mr. Lav

Looking for some info on has anyone ever put an ax15 behind a 6 cylinder. Talked to Matt at wild horses today and they said a member here had put a nv3550. Just wondering what bell housing and flywheel they used. Thanks for the help

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will follow this thread. I was thinking about the AX15 for my grandson's 67 F100 that has the 240 six banger. It has the NP435 now so it needs that extra high speed gear.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I will follow this thread. I was thinking about the AX15 for my grandson's 67 F100 that has the 240 six banger. It has the NP435 now so it needs that extra high speed gear.

The 240 should have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 300 which is the same as the small block V8.
Why not use the M5OD-R2 which will need no adapter?

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 240 should have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 300 which is the same as the small block V8.
Why not use the M5OD-R2 which will need no adapter?

I don't want to hack this thread but I will check that one out. This is my first go with the 6 banger so not up to speed on options.

hucklburry rev2

I don't know that I would put an OD behind a 170, are you sticking with the 170 or going with a bigger 200 or 250 six?

If you are staying with this family of engines, you should google and purchase Ford Falcon Performance Handbook - https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/the-ford-falcon-six-cylinder-performance-handbook

I'm pretty sure you need a zero balance flywheel, at 157 tooth is fun to find for a decent price, but I did eventually for a 250 six, the bell I am not sure, but I think it would be easier to decide on an OD that fits the back of the bronco bellhousing, for the 170, I don't know what else bolts to the engine.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Ford used a lot of different bolt patterns on their engine to bellhousing mounting but only a few on the transmission to bellhousing end.
That would be the adapter to look for.

While I would want a 250 or at the least a 200 I don't consider a six too small for a 5 speed, after all for years Toyota pickups came with a four cylinder and a 5 speed and those do okay.

bmbm

six with 5 speed

If have a 250 which has the small block Ford bh pattern it will be easier. With some adapters from Advanced Adapters.
So if you have a 250 the M50D should bolt up to that but you would need the AA adapter for the transfer case.
The very latest 200s, 81-83, could be modified for the sbf bh.
A member on this forum explained that a AX15, NV3550 could work on a 170/early 200 with the Bronco six cylinder bell if I recall correctly but you still need adapters.
Check out fordsix.com and good luck.

bmbm

240/300

The 240/300 are the same block and have the sbf bh.

Quick & Dirty

The 250 also uses the small V8 bellhousing pattern, and a 240/300 flywheel will work on it as well. Same crank flange as V8, but 0 balance. Gives more options than the 144/170/200 engines.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Lav

Thanks for all the info. Just looking at some better fuel mileage for a daily driver.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The transmission to bellhousing is the same on the V8 and I6. This can be back by the hack V8 conversions that kept the I6 transmission and caved in the firewall to make the engine fit.

The adaptor for the NV3500 (I understand the AX15 is the same but never looked into it) converts the face of the transmission to look like the face of a Ford transmission. Thus the NV3500/AX15 will bolt to a Ford bellhousing that uses a standard old school transmission. It will replace the 3-speed, 4-speed top loader, NP435, T18 and maybe a few more. That standard Ford transmission face from the 60s and 70s is the same if you have a small I6, big I6, small block, big block, or FE engine.

So you have the big lumps of metal bolted together, the sticky point is the clutch. The flywheel and pressure plate will be all Ford parts. But you need to find the right clutch disk that is the right size for the Ford clutch and the right input shaft spline count. The bigger clutch for the V8 is already figured out. But finding the right disk for the little I6 clutch is likely the challenge. Oh, and the little deal with getting the correct pilot bushing. But those are generally a simple machining job. But still likely to be a hang up.

hucklburry rev2

Ford used a lot of different bolt patterns on their engine to bellhousing mounting but only a few on the transmission to bellhousing end.
That would be the adapter to look for.

While I would want a 250 or at the least a 200 I don't consider a six too small for a 5 speed, after all for years Toyota pickups came with a four cylinder and a 5 speed and those do okay.

The toyota 4cyl has 20+ more hp, and weighs a good 1400# less in single cab, and thats back in like 1985. That is like 23#/hp in the yota vs 42#/hp in the Bronco.

I have a 66, I drove it with the 170, I wouldn't put a 5 speed behind it, I'd swap out to a bigger six - in fact I am putting a 250 in mine (Aussie cross flow), mostly because I had valves seize in the head and it made financial sense to swap.

Maybe I'd do it if my three speed went out

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You might want it more if you had the optional 4.56 gears and still had the short tires.

hucklburry rev2

You might want it more if you had the optional 4.56 gears and still had the short tires.

I dunno, I still don't think it would be fun to drive. Most people on here say a 4.11 geared 302 with ZF isn't enough gear and you'll downshift uphill. Albeit with something like 33s?

Take that down to a 170 cubic inch engine, which has to be down shifted into 2nd on steep hills as it is, with a 5 speed you might be shifting into 4th to get across Kansas.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Looking for some info on has anyone ever put an ax15 behind a 6 cylinder. Talked to Matt at wild horses today and they said a member here had put a nv3550. Just wondering what bell housing and flywheel they used. Thanks for the help

I know member CraigS has a 5 speed behind his six, but it's a 250, good luck

Take that down to a 170 cubic inch engine, which has to be down shifted into 2nd on steep hills as it is, with a 5 speed you might be shifting into 4th to get across Kansas.

Hey Jim, there's a traffic light at the bottom of a steep hill right by my house, man i hate catching that light in the 66! I can either rev the crap out of it in 1st up the hill, or quick shift (yeah right) to 2nd and hope I don't miss %)

callofgeorge

hate to bring up the dead.. hopefully there's not a rule against that. but did anyone ever accomplish the inline 6 170/200 to an ax15 5spd install? i have a reason for wanting to do this..currently its a 200/3spd tree. shifter wants to hang between 1st and 2nd and is a pita to get back into gear when this happens. so if someone has a suggestion on how to fix that, i may not bother with any of this. 3spd floor shifter is roughly $450-500, which is an option but kinda pricey imo. I have a 302 in my 68 mustang and currently building a 408w for it. i was tossing around the idea of swapping the 302 into the bronco later down the road which i would mate to an ax15 anyway.. so i figured if i can make the ax15 work on the 200, no need for a shifter and i'd be ready for the 302 when the time came..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The existing linkage could be pretty worn out by now, but there is an adjustment procedure you could follow to see if that helps.
If it works and gets you a few more years of use, that’s a win. And it only takes a few minutes to do once you got things lined up. OK, a little exaggeration on the time frame. Usually the first time for anything takes four times as long as it should!
if it doesn’t work, at least you gave it a shot.

callofgeorge

The existing linkage could be pretty worn out by now, but there is an adjustment procedure you could follow to see if that helps.
If it works and gets you a few more years of use, that’s a win. And it only takes a few minutes to do once you got things lined up. OK, a little exaggeration on the time frame. Usually the first time for anything takes four times as long as it should!
if it doesn’t work, at least you gave it a shot.
thanks. after talking to several others, i think this is the route we'll be taking. i ordered a new shift collar, bushings, etc to rebuild then try to adjust the linkage to make it work properly. I'm going to look up some videos on adjusting it to see if that'll fix it. rather not have to purchase new shift linkage if they happen to be bent or something, but probably still cheaper than the alternative.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can try adjusting it now, just to see if you need to do all those other things to rebuild it.

Down in the engine compartment at the very end of the column housing, there is a loop of metal (half a tube, basically) welded to the housing.
Put the transmission in neutral, disconnect the linkage at the transmission, get up under the hood with a 3/16 inch drill bit and slide the drill bit into the tube.
Push the two shift levers together and line up the holes in them with the drill bit.
When the drill it is inserted through all three components, go back down and reattach the linkage. Adjusting if necessary.
Make sure the transmission is truly in neutral first, by moving the levers until they are centered. Then you can adjust the rods until they line up with the holes.

If that helps, great. If it doesn’t, well, at least you’re very familiar with the adjusting procedure when you rebuild the column.

Dave's1971

Generally speaking, I love my AX15. Really brings the rpm’s down. It does have a great 5th gear for Hwy use but as others stated your six might not need or be able to use the taller gears. Mine runs behind a complete Explorer set up, which is awesome.