• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dan Wheeler's Dana 60 / 3 link Build Thread

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
no, by center link i meant your steering linkage; the link between your tierods.

must just be the photos or the angle or something. Everything has plenty of clearance as far as I can tell.

here's a bracket I sketched for the trackbar mount to go low and in front of the axle. Waiting to hear back from Ballistic to see if its something they could make or if they have a better idea.

1084361328_MCYwi-M.jpg

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
do you know what the width is for the heim? is it 1.75" ? Only reason I wasn't considering that bracket is because its $40 plus shipping and also because I didn't know what the width was and the holes are 5/8ths and I want 3/4" but its not that important. 5/8ths is decent.

yeah if you have pics of it installed that would be great to see

thanks,
dan

mavereq

Bronco Guru
the width on it is only around 1.25" on that one i'm using a 5/8" through bolt. on the upper i have 2" mounting width but with misalignment spacers i'm still using a 5/8" through bolt. i'll get some pics snapped for you tomorrow.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
There is not much side load resisting geometry on that.
I would want to see a plate on the top or bottom.

yup, i agree. Plate on the bottom is a must.

I like the design of the poly bracket. I could probably make something like that pretty easily.

69'er - wanna help me make a bracket? Do you have any 3/4" bits or would the plasma make a clean enough hole?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
yup, i agree. Plate on the bottom is a must.

I like the design of the poly bracket. I could probably make something like that pretty easily.

69'er - wanna help me make a bracket? Do you have any 3/4" bits or would the plasma make a clean enough hole?

I have a 3/4" bit you are welcomed to borrow. You are also welcomed to fab up all your brackets out of cardboard and bring the pieces and material over and cut them with the plasma.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
poly performance bracket

here it is:

Attachments

• 418742486_photobucket_6516_.jpg
    418742486_photobucket_6516_.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 418742486_photobucket_6518_.jpg
    418742486_photobucket_6518_.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 418742486_photobucket_6519_.jpg
    418742486_photobucket_6519_.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
here it is:

thanks for the pics. I guess I could fab something up that looks like that. I really prefer to go with 1.75" wide for the joint and 3/4" bolt.

Jesse, I'll order up some 1/4" plate and mock up some cardboard pieces to bring over sometime.

looking at your inner C's reminds me - I've read a couple threads that mention gusseting the inner C's. Is this really a problem I should be worrying about? Sounds like some people are bending the C's on Jeep Dana 44s and some Dana 60s. ?:?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i've read the same thing and have been considering a piece of 3/8" flat bar from the C to the coil bucket. as far as i know that C is steel and should be pretty easy to weld to.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
do you have a link to the joint with the 1.75" mounting width?

As far as I know, nobody sells a bracket that sits low on the axle with a 1.75" mounting width.

1.75" seems to be pretty standard for panhard/track bars.

ruffstuff and ballistic both sell a 1.75" panhard "tower" but they are way too high for what I need.

I think I'll just have to make something.

thumbnail.asp

mavereq

Bronco Guru
the bracket should be pretty easy. i was curious about what heim joint you're going to use that has a 1.75" mounting width.... or are you going to use a bushing?

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
must just be the photos or the angle or something. Everything has plenty of clearance as far as I can tell.

here's a bracket I sketched for the trackbar mount to go low and in front of the axle. Waiting to hear back from Ballistic to see if its something they could make or if they have a better idea.

1084361328_MCYwi-M.jpg
X2 on additional cross bracing. Would using a piece of rectangular tubing cut down on fab time for that part?

I can put some 3/4” DIA holes in that for you too if 69er can’t get to it.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
X2 on additional cross bracing. Would using a piece of rectangular tubing cut down on fab time for that part?

I can put some 3/4” DIA holes in that for you too if 69er can’t get to it.

thanks Geoff, I think i'm gonna scrap that design. I was trying to re-invent the wheel. I'll probably just copy the polyperf design and fab it up at Jesse's

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I have a 3/4" bit you are welcomed to borrow. You are also welcomed to fab up all your brackets out of cardboard and bring the pieces and material over and cut them with the plasma.

can I take you up on that soon? ;D

y3mJXl3hZ6WZ1Og4N-p0sdINGIc3uL9g7ct4DnERNg_K0Z_M91-flWYG97Ar3FOuCkvqzQPlnf3ZbZTeWF_pHPuUFh7USRnw-6lXyMPoGHoAxmg1z3aH8ftPjlgO7P4UqF4FGG0HS8LnvgxwxxLevcoOEhgB8rXLy1GTSEFc2XcNls

y3mEFFJTfwvFLRxmxM3acMQb7jZFDjf1t7q7gCBZX2-GO_sXQjTsVNUy0ZzLHfetxvFV8fac9UY1YsBgztfO_qMyWxjrzspau4HzxMg_-qu9wQadv2HKkXOpjTG12pvRCEaMAJHhn1k0Qs03PHHFq-hxqiWA0DYpDv6iD3WPAiJDA4

y3mZfK4Yca_ocHMqHk3T_LpYzhco_QOgJONVX3yXXHeW9q9bBbiggBRCYuEhkqRT6quHSFbXIiTenoMr8K99aVA5jMy4H9oTudOn9fapNJp3hIb6PC2os86zWoelKoFmaIwlA1PpPGa7DBzyQo7kzmo6EPYtgIuH4VUwaFvz3wIu_c

y3mC7koBXp8CP4BKPoDI4ImV7fMu_r5KlbkYAz98OWsJnrD0sd4Yd9M9MnIzuSifhjW712ueqfF1tWjUJT-w8OUy0Mln3L_aNccD9BKjDMuoX5wBz4XHTgTfQ0ybo3NcvmDQA_8PIXGGFdm-An_3uq7eiCO9fWuZ6rkuZC7DzZFesg

anyone see any issues with this bracket? It needs to be as failure-proof as possible.

Last edited:

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i would recommend putting your knuckles on and making sure your tie rod/knuckle doesn't hit when you turn your wheel all the way to the left. other than that the bracket looks beefy.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Why the 1.75 for the mounting width? Normally you shouldn't need misalignment spacers for a track bar.

it's going to be at a backwards angle to start with then as the axle articulates and shifts towards the rear of the truck, that angle will increase.

I'm going 1.75" on the advice of the guys at Ballistic and also because a lot of the panhard brackets out there are 1.75" and also because the stock Bronco panhard is 1.75". Just seems like a good width.

mav, I did check that... seems to be OK but I will definitely be double checking it. I figure if it doesn't stick out any more than the diff cover then I should be OK, right?