• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco Vs. New Jeep

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
New test track pics look like it might be a direct copy of the original Bronco. And available in a driverless version. :eek:

rodeo-horse-2.jpg

rodeo-horse-drags-cowboy.jpg

I hope they pay those test drivers well.

OP
OP
BRONCOchild

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
I keep rehashing this thread because I really do hope FORD does their homework. I really don't care if the body style is a '66-'77 or '78-'79. As long as it's functional, utilitarian, simple, beefy, etc.

If not, then Jeep will be getting my $$$ in the near future. I need to downsize my huge 2007 F150 for something more economical.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho.../a31608/jeep-wrangler-pickup-trackhawk-debut/

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I keep rehashing this thread because I really do hope FORD does their homework. I really don't care if the body style is a '66-'77 or '78-'79. As long as it's functional, utilitarian, simple, beefy, etc.

As of right now, that newest articles point in that direction. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
My wife had an '06 X...No problems up to 94K miles when we traded it in at 10 years of age. We strongly considered the 4-runner, given it's a frame on body construction, but even with 270HP it wasn't near the sport that the X was. The 4.0VQ had a decent low-end torque to it. All these new SUV's with smaller, car-like, high-revving engines do nothing for me. The non-turbo'd Explorer doesn't really start to pull until 4000 rpms.

I have two Hondas in my driveway now. Honda figured out two things, lower the belt line and leave a stick option for the Accord available on dealer lots. DI gave the 4cyl a much needed boost in mid-range torque. I would have had to special order a Fusion and no dealer wanted to dare order a manual Fusion for test drives...I walked away from Ford.

Going back to the Bronco topic of 2dr vs 4dr:

Besides, I believe Jeff from the Bronco Graveyard was in an article recently that said 70% of new Wrangler sales are 4dr...Ya I don't see Ford going against real world numbers there.

The V-8 4-runner is outstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNcoupe

We need 2 doors most importantly, removable top, straight axle front, and COYOTE..... If its a four door it will fall into the same catgeory as all the other ugly beige crap out there now. Might as well be a 4wd Camry at that point.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Don't know if this has been said yet, but I've heard it will be on the Raptor platform just shortened. It will also be expensive even for a base model 50K/60K range. If that's the case I could see them doing a four door version, but like the extra cab smaller rear doors. Only time will tell. Unfortunately, it will most likely be IFS just like the Raptors.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Ford may make it cost $45k and then wonder why it didn't sell

I don't think they care if it sells
They moved the car factory to Mexico
And saying they will keep jobs here building the ranger and bronco
Then when they are overpriced and don't sell they will close the factory

Which is what they wanted all along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BRONCOchild

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Jeep will be coming out with a 4-cylinder, v6, gas and diesel Jeep. FORD needs to pay attention. I know we don't want a 4-cylinder BRONCO, but if they want to stay competitive, especially with the release of the BRONCO, then they need to be competitive.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/29/autos/new-jeep-wrangler/index.html

Give people options. I know I want a V8 BRONCO, but maybe maybe my wife will want a 4-cylinder. Maybe I want a 4-door. Maybe a 2-door. Maybe a diesel. The list can go on an on.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford is shying away from V8's. Heck the Raptor now has a trubocharged V6.

I own a Jeep Rubicon because Ford has failed to make a Bronco.

If the new "bronco" is more like an FJ, I will continue to own a Jeep.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Diesel would be cool..

Jeep will be coming out with a 4-cylinder, v6, gas and diesel Jeep. FORD needs to pay attention. I know we don't want a 4-cylinder BRONCO, but if they want to stay competitive, especially with the release of the BRONCO, then they need to be competitive.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/29/autos/new-jeep-wrangler/index.html

Give people options. I know I want a V8 BRONCO, but maybe maybe my wife will want a 4-cylinder. Maybe I want a 4-door. Maybe a 2-door. Maybe a diesel. The list can go on an on.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Don't worry about competing with the Jeep by the time the Bronco rolls out Jeep will also have to have a watered down version of its pride and Joy. There are far too many regulations coming to take away the sport utility of our way of life. Everything is going cookie cutter with so much more driver controls. These controls are not going to allow modifications. Trucks / Jeeps prior to 2018 are going to be hot commodities in the near future. Its starting to show in the 2018 Tacoma's. Once you can't lift them and run larger tires the market is going to start to die down. The american driver is being molded little by little by more efficiency. By 2020 there are so many restrictions and mandated electronic safety packages, good luck getting anything everyone is dreaming about.

Compete with Jeep good luck with that they have to be here to compete with. What makes you think Fiat will even be around in 2020. Check see how good Fiat is doing.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I disagree. Think back to the muscle car days when we knew the government was killing the sport. Now look at it, most garden variety "sports" cars could kick tail of any muscle car of the day, and today's muscle cars would win every NASCAR stock car race ever run.

I think the same will hold true for any future ORV, they will get better, and someday, someone will sell an IFS that can outrun/climb a Jeep. Maybe even a new Bronco.

willtel

Don't worry about competing with the Jeep by the time the Bronco rolls out Jeep will also have to have a watered down version of its pride and Joy. There are far too many regulations coming to take away the sport utility of our way of life. Everything is going cookie cutter with so much more driver controls. These controls are not going to allow modifications. Trucks / Jeeps prior to 2018 are going to be hot commodities in the near future. Its starting to show in the 2018 Tacoma's. Once you can't lift them and run larger tires the market is going to start to die down. The american driver is being molded little by little by more efficiency. By 2020 there are so many restrictions and mandated electronic safety packages, good luck getting anything everyone is dreaming about.

Compete with Jeep good luck with that they have to be here to compete with. What makes you think Fiat will even be around in 2020. Check see how good Fiat is doing.

The new Wrangler was just officially announced this week and it is anything but watered down. Jeep and Ram are the most valuable brands within FCA and even if Fiat folds they will be sold off and continue. I think we will be lucky to see anything from Ford that truly competes with the new Wrangler.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I think we will be lucky to see anything from Ford that truly competes with the new Wrangler.

And once again, this is the million dollar question we are all eagerly waiting to see played out. I know they can do it and if done right I think they can steal the show but we will have to wait and see. I revisited the original article that this post was started over and my thoughts are this, *eep is focusing on a small truck design this year, Ford is bringing back the Ranger, they don't need another truck version so long as the ranger is offered with a live front axle, even if it is an option for upgrade, this would certainly confirm the axle rumors which I honestly believe is the single most important characteristic of the vehicle, it needs to have serious off road capability and IFS of any form is not a good all around solution like a live axle is. Cater to the bolt on aftermarket that most can afford and they will have a winner no matter what it looks like. Listen up Ford, we are dropping some serious wisdom in these postings!

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Article from USA Today
"The boxy Wrangler is a good seller for Fiat Chrysler. CEO Sergio Marchionne has said production changes in Toledo will allow it to build more than 400,000 Wranglers per year at full production. That’s a lot, but its importance for Jeep and Fiat Chrysler is as the image of an ultimate off-roading vehicle."
I wish Ford would have this mind set. The new Rubicon looks nice.

OP
OP
BRONCOchild

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Article from USA Today
"The boxy Wrangler is a good seller for Fiat Chrysler. CEO Sergio Marchionne has said production changes in Toledo will allow it to build more than 400,000 Wranglers per year at full production. That’s a lot, but its importance for Jeep and Fiat Chrysler is as the image of an ultimate off-roading vehicle."

Exactly what I am saying.

Mikesimp70

Article from USA Today

I hope they do but not holding my breathe!

Its the law of supply and demand. There are far more people out there willing to drop $50k on a 625hp sports car to race from stoplight to stoplight. The vehicle we want is a smaller niche. Jeep has the heritage and has filled the niche well. Their following is loyal but the vehicle is expensive for what you get in my opinion! Ford wont do anything that doesnt make them money. Canibalizing the loyal Jeep following wont get the number of units they need so they have to dumb down the vehicle to broaden the appeal. Body on frame is a small market outside of Pickups. In SUV You basically have Jeep and 4Runner. Ford owns a majority share of the pickup market already.

bbolander

The 2018 JL Wrangler was just revealed and it is AWESOME. The inconveniences of folding the top, putting on 35's and lots of other things are now convenient. Jeep stole the thunder once again. Lots of guys including me are going to have a hard time resisting it until the new Bronco comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9O0q4AwK1E

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I posted this in another thread but it’s relavent to this one as well. LEBC reps attended a Ford SoTex Sales meeting just before TG. Here is what the Sales Manager was allowed to release:

“The word I hear is that the team in Dearborn is still dimensioning all of the bodystyle/powertrain/content/user experience elements of the next gen Bronco. We have already announced that we will launch Bronco in 2020, and it will be manufactured alongside the new Ford Ranger at Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Michigan. All indications are that Bronco is a major priority for the company, and that our best designers and engineers are fully engaged in ensuring the vehicle is true to the first generation of Bronco, while delivering the capability the customer desires, and the canvas on which they will want to put their own personal touches. We are excited about the prospects of reintroducing Bronco into the Ford lineup in the not too distant future! Our Bronco enthusiasts and our Dealers eagerly await the first look at the soon to be released Ford Bronco!!!”

The 2 main points are “true to original Bronco” (why they only wanted EBs at the meeting), and that it will be customizable (aftermarket support like Jeep). Also we were asked to provide some input to the design team. We provided comments very much in line with all the comments in this thread and others on CB. I too hope they listen!