• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PO didn't do me many favors. Silicone caulk removal, any ideas?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
PO filled the windshield hinge with silicone caulk and closed it. So that there was silicone caulk squeezed out of every crack and crevice of the hinge. Then they came back with thier fingers and wiped a heavy bead into the front of the hinge. Obviously I need to get rid of every last little bit of the stuff before I paint. The manual method just isn't working (wire brushes on die grinders and disc grinders). It just doesn't get deep enough into the seams and such. I have tried laquer thinner, seam sealer remover, and gasoline. Seems like gasoline only works when you do not want it to. ;D

Next on my list is MEK but I don't have any and don't want to buy a gallon and find out it wont cut it either.

Anybody have any suggestions. Is there some paint prep product that will attack it? It needs to be pretty agressive to get it all out.

Any help would be appreciated.

hose101

Contributor
I am not sure about this but I do know that there is a product sold at most hardware stores that is supposed to help remove siloconized caulking. Like the stuff around bath enclosures. You might see if that would work. Good luck.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
i GUARANTEE! That MEK will get it off. Just let it soak and it will peel right off. Just get ready for that nose burning smell

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
check your local marine supply store there is stuff from the Boatlife company and also this stuff which seems to work very good it's in a spray can and it's called Anti-Bond 2015. i think there is also another type called De-Bond but i'm not sure.

Bluelimo

Loc.
Providence, UT
RTV digestant

I just got some stuff called an RTV Digestant for a project at work. There are several types distributed by RPM technologies out of Reno NV (www.RPM-Technology.com.) I used the Digesel NCX. Its not a miricle worker, but it does break the cured RTV down so it can be rinsed/brushed off.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Easier to get a new hinge.
Any residue of the silicone and..... good bye 6K paint job

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
no favors there either

Easier to get a new hinge.
Any residue of the silicone and..... good bye 6K paint job

PO pulled the current winshield from another bronco and did a really crude job of welding the hinge on. It will take a lot of time to get this hinge off. He took it off the old trck by drilling 1/2 holes in all the spot welds. He then welds all of them and along the rear edge the whole width of the body. Basically I would have to cut out everything and replce and I really do not want to do that.

I am considering just welding the damn thing, but I am really tired of grinding.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your call.....but like I said, your'e rolling the dice. Paint (and time) is way too expensive.
Think grinding is time consuming, try a re-paint. (and you still have to deal with the silicone. That stuff is like a virus "just keeps on giving"

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
well the good news is that it won't be a $6000 paint job. Gonna spray it myself in the garage. Will be more than good enough for my purposes but I do not wamnt a bucnh of fisheyes opening up on the hinge either. I will probably end up cutting off the hinge and welding the window to the body.