• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint Help part two

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Sprayed the dash and a lot of small parts tonight. PPG acrylic enamel. Used a fast hardener and an fast reducer to keep the dust from my dirty shop from settling on to the parts. Everything per thier recommendations except the reducer was one temperarture range lower. 80-90 and it was between 90 and 100 in the shop.

As is usually the case witht he first things I paint I screw up the stuff that will be seen and things like brackets and stuff behind the dash ands even the back of the dash just look like they were dipped in liquid glossy and slick as glass, but the front of the dash well thats another story.

I will have to do some sanding to fix this. The question is can I wet sand if slick and that just spray it again. I do not want to polish this thing it would stick out like a sore thumb if I don't polish the rest of the truck.

Anyway Can it be color sanded and recoated anytime or do I have to wait a while to recoat?

The ppg recommedations say to wait 24 hrs before sanding and polishing. It was dry to the touch in 20 minutes. I will leave it out in the sun all day tomorrow, and it should be nice and hard when I get home. Would like to sand it and recoat tomorrow night. Then come back and polish if I need to polish.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It should be fine to sand and repaint tommorow night. The sun will help the cure.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd polish it either way even if not polishing the rest of the truck. I doubt youd really notice much of a differance between the polished dash and unpolished truck.
Once polished it will be easier to keep clean and what happens later on when you decide to buff the rest of the truck but have a un polished dash then you have to remove all the controls, guages, switches ect.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
there you go with that logic crap

I'd polish it either way even if not polishing the rest of the truck. I doubt youd really notice much of a differance between the polished dash and unpolished truck.
Once polished it will be easier to keep clean and what happens later on when you decide to buff the rest of the truck but have a un polished dash then you have to remove all the controls, guages, switches ect.

Kind of came to the same conclusion after sleeping on it. Bought the stuff to poish it on the way home from work. Will start sanding later and if it all cuts out I will probably just polish it.

tejayandtina

My first attempt at shooting enamel about 20 years ago at BOCES was rough. The instructor had me shoot his front fender on his 77 T-bird. Looked BEAUTIFUL when I left the booth, when I returned the next morning, it looked like it was made of wax and melted. Runs EVERYWHERE! Pretty humiliating. Good luck with that.