• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering stop at knuckles

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone adjust the steering stop at the knuckles to limit the turn angle or simply let the tires rub on the trailing arm?

I am only running 31's and they rub before I get to full lock. I used to have some wagon wheels that had a lot more offset and they didn't rub. I imagine to "adjust" the stop I would have to weld a small shim on the existing bolt head to limit travel.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Does anyone adjust the steering stop at the knuckles to limit the turn angle or simply let the tires rub on the trailing arm?

I am only running 31's and they rub before I get to full lock. I used to have some wagon wheels that had a lot more offset and they didn't rub. I imagine to "adjust" the stop I would have to weld a small shim on the existing bolt head to limit travel.
I adjusted mine, and so have quite a few others. I got tired of loosing lugs on the inside of the front tires from rubbing on the radius arms.

The stops are a bolt and locknut. Should be able to loosen the locknut and adjust. I think I've seen some locknuts that have had a small tack weld. Not sure if thats "factory" or not.

Scot

I adjusted mine a small amount by backing out the bolts and reinstalling with a couple washers.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I set mine so the tire dont rub the arms. Sound like crap when they rub in the parking lot. My 44 i just took apart had the nuts tack welded. I ground the weld off and broke the bolts loose. Id take them out and get new bolts and nuts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine were tack welded too, as have been most all I've seen. I didn't even have to cut though, as just a quick turn with a 1/2" drive ratchet broke 'em all loose.

Never any trouble. I think I used a longer bolt with a jam nut (I think?) or Locktite.
It's been so long I'd have to go out and actually look to be sure.

I never liked doing anything that would hurt that great stock-Bronco turning radius, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. That's why I was so happy when "bent" radius arms became more readily available.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I cheated a little more. As others stated, the adjusters were tack welded. I put a nut (3/8"?) over teh adjuster and plug welded it in place. Kissed it with a grinder to trim to desired length.