• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Item Identification Steering Wheel

OP
OP

76ERB

Slowleak, thanks. So it's just leather wrapped stock one. Wish you could buy them like that.

kip60

Used to be able to buy that wrap almost anywhere. Had it on most of my old stuff in the day. Cushioned the wheel a bit and insulated from the cold hard plastic. Should be able to find it somewhere. You wrapped the wheel and then tucked it into itself or some had lacing that you sort of sewed it together with.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
76ERB: Just took a quick look in my garage - couldn't find mine. Would have sent it to ya for cost of shipping, wrap that is. I assume that is what you are looking for. I still may have it, but won't be able to look until spring when my Bronco emerges from its annual winter hibernation. It may be 'landlocked' behind it.

If that is what you want and don't find one by April, you can try me then.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, still stocked around here in most stores. And it's not the leather type either, but the less expensive vinyl or whatever it's made of. Leather look-alike.
Very inexpensive and not really all that hard to install. Just takes a bit of time on your part. Probably best to give yourself a 2-hour window if you decide to do one.

By the way though, the real leather ones are just "better" in my opinion. They don't gum up as quickly with hand oils and dirt in hot climates, clean up better I think, and are ultimately more durable. I have used both types on my daily driver cars and trucks and Broncos and the vinyl ones were nice, but deteriorated within a few years. I have a couple of leather ones though that are over 20 years old and counting.
And even at double the price, they're still pretty cheap upgrades to your ride.

You will also have to do it to your existing steering wheel, or find a half-year-only original. You can't use the earlier style '66 to '73/early-'74 style because the horn contacts are not compatible with those on the column.
The only solution to getting that style wheel is to find the ultra-rare mid-'74 version that had the old style look, but the new style horn contact orientation.

I have not seen one reproduced yet, but it's possible the big importers/manufacturers (Scott Drake, Dennis Carpenter, LMC) have one and I just have not seen it yet.

Good luck.

Paul

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Paul,

Question, do you guys know of a upholstery person who can leather wrap a late 70s 3 spoke, Ford Sport steering wheel? I'd like it to wrap up the spokes to cover the foam.

Sorry to hijack, not intentional.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Chris, not that I know of. At least not around here and have never used one anywhere else that I'm aware of either.
But there is at least one company down your way that does it. Saw them on a Wheeler Dealers episode recently where they did just that. It was an "upholstery" shop, but one that had certain specialty skills and equipment. Including a super-fine laser(or whatever) scanner that could pinpoint exactly the cut of the leather they needed to fit a specific shaped wheel.
Don't remember the cost, but I bet it's a good $400 or more.

I've done 3-spoke wheels with the standard auto-parts store leather covers, and they came out great. But they did not have much in the way of original padding/covering going up the spokes. Very small and so the result did not look hacked at all. Doubt it would have been the same quality with a spoke showing more leather though.

I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was down in Southern CA somewhere.
No help I'm sure, but maybe they can be googled?

Good luck.

Paul