• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302, 5.0, 5.8, or coyote?

wsager

Inherited my Bronco from my dad. He passed away this year. In the 80's he disassembled the truck due to Michigan rot and purchased a fiberglass tub, hood and fenders (looks to be an older Malotte tub). Rebuilt the original 302 (assume it's okay after sitting in a dry garage for the past 30+ years), put the dash and windshield frame on, then life got in the way. Everything else is dissembled.

I live in Florida, so it will most likely be a beach cruiser. Definitely want an overdrive, but not set on manual or automatic. Giving myself 5-10 years for the build, so my 4 year old daughter will be able to enjoy too.

Trying to decide on an engine. I don't need a big stroker. Money matters, but cost will really just speed up/slow down the build. Here are some choices that I'm considering:

Original 302 (he already rebuilt it)+carburetor (he has a Holley 650 double pumper in a box that he was saving for this if I want to burn through gas) (Dad said it had a RV cam, but not sure the specs) - the sentimental option

Original 302 + explorer upgrades, EFI programed to run it, GT40 heads with new springs, front dress (would I have to figure out which cam it has?), would then probably use 4r70w

Explorer 5.0 H.O. with reprogrammed PCM (would then use 4r70w)

5.8L with Explorer upgrades, EFI, GT40 if I can find an aluminum or cast iron lower manifold for it (would then use 4r70w)

Coyote (price for engine + trans combos with lower miles are not bad, but I do worry about the price of all the little extra things like $1000 for serp setup; hoping this will go down in next couple of years)

Dad always stressed that we should do what we wanted, so I'm not too worried about changing any plans that he had.

Right now thinking 2.5" suspension lift, 1" body lift

I know some of you have had at least some of these options, so are you happy? Any regrets? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
My opinion, looking at your intended use:

First choice:
Exploder 5.0 H.O. with reprogrammed PCM (would then use 4r70w)

Second choice:
5.8L with Exploder upgrades, EFI, GT40 if I can find an aluminum or cast iron lower manifold for it (would then use 4r70w)

You don't really need the extra torque of the 5.8 for a beach cruiser, or with a young new driver.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
My condolences on your loss. I think it great that you are picking up the project that your dad started. I'd vote for 351W with the upgrades. Its what I have and love it. But you need to figure out for your self what will make you happy.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I put a used stock Explorer 5.0 in mine, coupled to a stock C4. No regrets with this set up. You need to decide on what trans you’re going to run, then what size tires. It’s nice to set up new gearing just the one time.

Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As much as I would recommend a 351, you already have a fresh 302 that was built by your father. Run that. The double pumper probably is bad just from sitting so long. Toss on a self learning EFI. That will get you as much of your father's engine and still injected. Look for trans controllers added to the stand alone EFI in the next couple of years. It's coming and fits your build schedule.

OP
OP
W

wsager

As much as I would recommend a 351, you already have a fresh 302 that was built by your father. Run that. The double pumper probably is bad just from sitting so long. Toss on a self learning EFI. That will get you as much of your father's engine and still injected. Look for trans controllers added to the stand alone EFI in the next couple of years. It's coming and fits your build schedule.

Trans controller built in might tip the scales.

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I put a used stock Explorer 5.0 in mine, coupled to a stock C4. No regrets with this set up. You need to decide on what trans you’re going to run, then what size tires. It’s nice to set up new gearing just the one time.

Mark

X2..... keep it simple

ame

Im in a similar engine debate, got a Bronco with no engine then got a 96 Explorer and pulled the engine out of it but looking at the cost to rebuild and get some low end torque doesnt seem to be cheap in the long run. I know it will have a 5spd trans as I enjoy driving manuals and the if nothing else the Coyote engines sounds soooo good.

Plan on waiting on couple years and if Coyote parts come down in price that seems to be the ultimate no real down side option but if the cost of parts to make it work are more then the cost of the engine then thinking 5.8 with Explorer parts would be a great option too.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Rebuild what you have. Get rid of the carb and buy and aftermarket Fuel Injection system and enjoy the EB. Restore as time goes.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
bronco

Prelube the heck out of the motor. Be sure to use zink addative to the oil for break in. From then on use Valvoline vr1(has zink) or us a zink addative to any other oil you use. Today's oil is not good for your cam without the zink addative. Your other option is to have the engine converted to a "roller motor".(roller cam). Good luck with your project. Sounds like a good one.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Stick with the 302 for now. All your options are good but a fresh 302 will push the truck just fine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Rebuild what you have. Get rid of the carb and buy and aftermarket Fuel Injection system and enjoy the EB. Restore as time goes.

It's a fresh build, no need to rebuild it again. So long as it isn't stuck it should be fine.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Having run the 302 with a 2bbl, a 4bbl, a car 5.0, a car 5.0 with Mustang intakes, a 5.8 with truck intakes and Mustang EFI, a 5.8 with knockoff Edlebrock intakes w/Mustang EFI and a 5.8 with aftermarket heads, intake and FiTech EFI I would say you want the 351W in any shape or form at some point.

The 5.8 with GT40's and EFI was great, plenty of power all over the RPM range and would get you into trouble if you weren't careful. Body lift the Bronco for sure - you need transmission and intake clearance.

The 4R is an excellent transmission that shifts fast, has a low 1st gear and good overdrive all while being compact and light.

NC_Pinz

I'm in a similar situation. I was expecting the original 302 to be burning oil and needing a rebuild. However, it is running well with with a fresh original carb rebuild. I'll probably stay where I'm at for the next couple of years.

It only has 208k on the engine. At 140-160k, it did get new rings and bearings, but the block never left the frame.

OP
OP
W

wsager

The only thing that I worry about is putting everything back together, then wanting a change and it being much less accessible. Decisions, decisions.

OP
OP
W

wsager

Prelube the heck out of the motor. Be sure to use zink addative to the oil for break in. From then on use Valvoline vr1(has zink) or us a zink addative to any other oil you use. Today's oil is not good for your cam without the zink addative. Your other option is to have the engine converted to a "roller motor".(roller cam). Good luck with your project. Sounds like a good one.

Having to use special oil or additive is a bit of a negative as well. Hmm.