• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco gets a new harness and more.

eric0o1

https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Fleece-...pID=511LuqqewoL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

high temp version for engine compartments
https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-Tesas-...pID=51ugI5TCiZL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If you haven't tried this stuff before give it a shot, I use it on all of my installs I do out of my shop at home. I'm trying to get it implemented on some of the things we manufacture here. One roll will typically do an entire dash harness, but it's so much cheaper if you buy it in packages of 5.

OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I'll run that tape by him, but I'm sure he will say yes. I'm excited to try it out, Thanks for the tip. It's this kind of thing that I'm looking for.

This morning's project was to see about adding wires through the driver side grommet. At about four I realized that wasn't going to work. I need to add seven. Line lock, speedometer, kill switch, trans temp, and winch. So the solution I'm running with is to enlarge the hole. I undid the weather pack connectors and pulled the wires out. A big drill bit worked fine. Funny, I just did this same thing on another vehicle I was working on. The rubber shavings are still on the shop floor.

Attachments

• Adding wires to the Driver side 1.jpg
    Adding wires to the Driver side 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
First I have to say that I am in love with this tape. It is so nice (worth the wait for shipping). Thanks again for that.

My ream job on the driver side grommet worked great. The hole fits perfectly now with the extra wires I added. I've started wrapping the individual portions going left to right and have attached a pic showing where it is this morning. According to my measurements, it looks like I'll have to move the passenger side grommet inboard about a foot. I don't know why Centech made that section so long, but whatever. Looking ahead, I've decided to remove the passenger side headlight portion. This might seem weird, but actually not. This bronco has halogen headlights that have their own power source and relays. I'm going to trigger them from the driver side - opposite of how it was before. This will help reduce the wire spaghetti clutter around the battery area. Anyway, I have some good music on in the garage and am having fun.
Later

Attachments

• Wrapping begun, driver side.jpg
    Wrapping begun, driver side.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I just finished making the daisy chains (I don't know what they're really called, but that's what I call them). This was the last puzzle piece before install can begin. Left to right, power and ground for the gauges, switches and lights.

Attachments

• Daisy chains.jpg
    Daisy chains.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
It turns out that wasn't the last puzzle piece after all. The Centech firewall grommets suck. They won't stay in the hole. I now remember having this problem before. Even with no wires in them they fall right out. Sheesh. Last time I ended up reusing the originals so that's the route I'm going unless somebody has a better idea.

Here's a pic from earlier today when I thought I was ready to install.

Attachments

• Ready to install.jpg
    Ready to install.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
The old grommets work fine, lots easier to ream out too. A couple of minutes with an x-acto knife was all it took. As you've maybe guessed I bailed on a different fuse and relay arrangement. I gave it some thought and decided it wasn't worth the effort. Anyway, install has begun. I know everyone likes pics so here you go.

Attachments

• Putting things in.jpg
    Putting things in.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
After I got the cabin area buttoned up it started to rain and since I'm working outside, I had to do what I could while waiting for a break. Well now the sun is back, I've got good tunes going in the shop and am having fun again. I like working under the hood, way easier on the back. Here's some pics from today. I've finished the driver side and am working on the passenger side. It takes a bit of thinking to decide how to keep things neat and plan where is the best location for everything. I'm really enjoying the engine tape. Not only is it high heat resistant, but also anti abrasion. Cool huh? Also the sheathing is so much better than that accordion stuff. In the pics you can see my outside workstation. Something to stand on, a place to put my tools and pie tin of diddys, and a fender pad to be safe.

Attachments

• Work station.jpg
    Work station.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Working under the hood.jpg
    Working under the hood.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 72

eric0o1

I constantly think about how other jobs I'd done in the past could have been done cleaner, easier, and cheaper had I known about that tape then.

OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I constantly think about how other jobs I'd done in the past could have been done cleaner, easier, and cheaper had I known about that tape then.

I'm constantly thinking how every step could be done better and if I'd known then what I know now. The best take away from this job is definitely the tape, that and the sheathing. They take it to the next level.

OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
One of the things that get in the way for me is having to order stuff I need and wait for delivery. And then I realize I need something else, and the process repeats. I do my best to see ahead, but can't predict everything in advance. For instance one of the front turn signal buckets needed replacing so I had to order it and try to save on shipping by adding in other stuff. When I finally got to the rear, which in my sequence is last, both rear buckets were bad. Another order. My local supply of adhesive lined heat shrink dried up so I had to order that and wait. I'm lucky that I have near me a flap that sells weather pack stuff, and also lucky that they kept their inventory stocked as I raided it. I mention this stuff because it appears that it took me awhile to update this thread. I've been plugging away at it, taking my time and having fun. I recommend for anyone doing this job to make it a point to look at it like fun. The garage here has internet, a pc with 8 terrabytes of music and a 70s silver face pioneer stereo that turns up loud when necessary. Atmosphere helps a lot. I told Dave that I work at my own pace and he said there'd be no pressure. In return I would do my best work. Yesterday was the last day before two weeks of rain and I wanted to hand it off to him then. So, some pressure from the rain gods, but couldn't avoid that. The rear buckets showed up day before yesterday while I was at work. The plan was to install them, test everything and if good, install the seats and give Dave the keys. As it turned out there were no issues. Everything worked perfectly. We took it for a drive to make sure and Dave left for home a happy man. As a closer, I'll attach some before and after pics.

p.s.
Just as he was leaving, he mentioned he had a friend that wanted a harness install for his EB. I told him okay on condition that I get to do it in the summertime. Cold fingers is for the birds. Trying to use my heat gun in the wind is no fun.

Cheers

Attachments

• Passenger side before.jpg
    Passenger side before.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Passenger side after.jpg
    Passenger side after.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Battery area before.jpg
    Battery area before.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Battery area after.jpg
    Battery area after.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 58

lgdpt

I would love to purchase an extra roll of that tape (if you have any). Thank you