• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BlueDevil

CincoBravo

Loc.
Oxford, MS
I believe I have a rear main seal leak. Does anyone have experience with BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer? This seems like a Band-Aid repair but is it a good one? Are there any downsides?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Check your PCV balve if its stuck or clogged it can push oil out of the seals. But if the seal is bad the only thing that will fix it is a new seal.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, what they both said.
Just how big is the leak Cinco? And how much was yours leaking striper, that it was able to take care of it?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I usually find the leak to be further up. china rail at the back of the intake or valve covers. Dribbles down the bellhousing.

OP
OP
C

CincoBravo

Loc.
Oxford, MS
DirtDonk-- I can't for the life of me figure out how to include a picture in this reply, but I was able to figure out how to upload a photo to my gallery (also on this site). The oil shown is after the Bronco sat for about a week after a short drive. I hope you're able to find the pic.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got it, thanks. The link shows up in my notification e-mail.
That's a pretty big drip!

I'll try to post it up here for you. You can put it in your gallery, or garage, as you found out. But to post directly up to the site you have to be a contributor for 12bucks a year.
Otherwise you can also use an online hosting site and link the images here.
Or someone with the yellow "contributor" beneath their username can do it.
Theoretically anyway...

Let's see now...
Oil_Leak.jpg
http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/36655/limit/recent

I think that's it. Both the link and the image.

Paul

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
As DirtDonk noted that looks like a pretty big leak... however oil is like blood a little goes a long way. Before I'd tackle the main seal, whip it down really good two-three times and see if you can chase the leak. Oil will follow path of least restance, so it could be running from another source. As mentioned above, check everything first.