• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 pan with drain plug

ammowaster

Howdy guys. Picked up a 77 and am starting to go through it and make the giant list of things needed.

Starting with the standard fluid exchanges and a drain plug on the tranny would be super helpful when I am doing my flushes. Don't care if it adds a extra quart or two as long as reliability isn't affected. Don't mind buying a nice one if I have to but if there is a solid affordable one that's great too. Any of you guys using any of them?

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
No such thing. When you change the fluid in a C4, you're supposed to change the filter as well which requires the removal of the pan. No need for a drain plug if you're going to be removing the pan anyway.

OP
OP
A

ammowaster

No such thing. When you change the fluid in a C4, you're supposed to change the filter as well which requires the removal of the pan. No need for a drain plug if you're going to be removing the pan anyway.

What do you mean no such thing? Aftermarket pans with drain plugs have been around forever. A drain plug makes pulling the pan much easier and less messy.
Here is one example
https://www.cjponyparts.com/performance-automatic-transmission-pan-aluminum-pan-fill-c4/p/ATP2/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9K3gBRA4EiwACEhFe14_eW-893zrBEL6Th78VvQgXELY7V2Y14VE3Ob4ebzoma8lgyZX8BoCpWEQAvD_BwE

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

A drain plug sure is handy and a lot less messy though.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
A

ammowaster

Side note
Do these have a drain on the torque converter? supposedly you get another 2-3 quarts that way.

A drain plug sure is handy and a lot less messy though.

Todd Z.

Yup and I am thinking that if I change the filter and then add a drain plug I could do 3-4 fluid changes quickly without any trouble. Not quite as good as a legitimate flush but better than the little bit you get just doing the filter.

OP
OP
A

ammowaster

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Side note
Do these have a drain on the torque converter? supposedly you get another 2-3 quarts that way.

Yup and I am thinking that if I change the filter and then add a drain plug I could do 3-4 fluid changes quickly without any trouble. Not quite as good as a legitimate flush but better than the little bit you get just doing the filter.

There is a converter drain plug. It's in the bolt circle, either just next to a stud or half way between the 2 studs. Depends on type of converter.

Drain the pan and converter and you'll get rid of about 80% (8 of 10 qts) of the oil.

OP
OP
A

ammowaster

There is a converter drain plug. It's in the bolt circle, either just next to a stud or half way between the 2 studs. Depends on type of converter.

Drain the pan and converter and you'll get rid of about 80% (8 of 10 qts) of the oil.

Thanks man I've never done that before. What does it take to rotate the torque converter? Do you have to turn the engine over or can you move just it.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The torque converter is bolted to the flexplate. You can turn the flexplate until the drain plug is on the bottom. I have a tool that is made for rotating the flexplate but have used a large screwdriver to turn the flexplate by engaging the teeth and work it into position.

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I always heard that you should not start a engine with a dry torque converter. YOU MAY WAT TO RESEARCH IT FIRST.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
i have the B&M deep pan, it's super nice and one of the nice upgrades for your C4

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm a fan of big pans and drain plugs.
One thing to watch out for though, is a deep-pan dipstick tube WITH headers.
I've seen more than one combo that gave people fits when trying to snake the dipstick up around over and through the header tubes.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I always heard that you should not start a engine with a dry torque converter. YOU MAY WAT TO RESEARCH IT FIRST.

That is a new torque convertor that really is dry. There will still be oil left inside the convertor even if you drain it. As with most every automotive fluid, draining it doesn't get it all out. There is always a lot more left behind then you thought.

OP
OP
A

ammowaster

I'm a fan of big pans and drain plugs.
One thing to watch out for though, is a deep-pan dipstick tube WITH headers.
I've seen more than one combo that gave people fits when trying to snake the dipstick up around over and through the header tubes.

Paul

I hadn't thought of that but it makes perfect sense when there is only so much room on these things. I think I am going to pick up the one linked on the first page and give it a try when I do my fluid change. Wish I could find one locally or closer as the shipping is like $17 but oh well.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When you unscrew the dipstick tube from the pan the fluid in the pan comes out. Putting in a drain plug is a cure for a problem that isn't there.