• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring harness question

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I'm a little confused today. My 74 still had the old rear harness section installed. I removed it after I took pictures and became familiar with it. Now I want to use some of the old plugs off of it to connect things to the new harness. In the pic below I know that the 4 wire plug on the left is the neutral safety plug. The one on the right I believe goes to the brake switch which I already have connected to the Painless harness with a small 2 prong plug. So does this plug connect to the master cylinder or do I even need it? Thanks ?:?

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 26

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm a little confused today. My 74 still had the old rear harness section installed. I removed it after I took pictures and became familiar with it. Now I want to use some of the old plugs off of it to connect things to the new harness. In the pic below I know that the 4 wire plug on the left is the neutral safety plug. The one on the right I believe goes to the brake switch which I already have connected to the Painless harness with a small 2 prong plug. So does this plug connect to the master cylinder or do I even need it? Thanks ?:?

The 4 prong plug goes to the rear running and turn lights and the rear tank sender. The 3 prong plug goes to the brake imbalance switch and backup lights.

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
So, I don't think I need either of these plugs. Is the brake imbalance switch on top of the proportion valve? I already connected the 2 Painless wires to that with the original plug cut from the old harness... Thanks Viper

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes, it's not exactly a proportioning valve before '76. It's more a distribution block with a convenient location to put an imbalance switch. You shouldn't need the old plugs.

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I'm now wiring the Neutral Safety & Reverse light Switch. I only have the 4 prong plug coming from the C4 transmission. Painless instructions say what is listed below. It's unclear to me what they mean by molded connectors in the kit. I don't see them. Maybe I lost them. Does anyone know what they look like?

In the event that you have a factory pigtail coming from the Transmission mounted NEUTRAL SAFETY & REVERSE SWITCH, molded connectors have been supplied in the parts kit to utilize this factory pigtail.

My plan B is to use the 4 prong pigtail (running and turn lights and the rear tank sender) from the old harness in the picture above to splice the 4 Painless wires to and plug it straight to the 4 prong connector from the C4. I want to be able to disconnect the C4 wiring if the transmission ever has to come out. Getting closer

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you saying that you did not find a matching connector? I'm pretty sure the last one I did had one and we didn't have to do anything fancy. But it was also my impression initially that this would be one of those connectors that you're encouraged to save from the old harness before it gets tossed out.

By "molded connector" though, they were simply saying that they have a matching connector to go right on to the one you have on the switch.
Is the 4-wire connector on your switch now one of the typical square shaped thingies with 3 male and 1 female (or vice versa) pins? Just needing a matching one with the opposite orientation. If you don't have one in your kit, check with Painless.

But either way, if you did no have one in the kit, and Painless can't send you a new one (maybe they're not available at the moment?) you can always do what we've done on many other harnesses. Since the others don't even try to include that connector, I've simply cut off the one from the switch on the transmission and installed a 4-wire Weatherpack.
Yes, that means that if you ever need a new safety switch you will have to swap the connector too, but that's a small price to pay for a nice connection.
And with any luck you'll never have to replace another switch anyway.

Paul

eric0o1

Look on page 9 of the manual at the "Harness Contents" picture. Look under the turn signal pigtail, see the 2 small molded connectors with the red and black wires? Those are for reverse/NSS connections. Instead of one 4 pin connector it is two 2pin connectors.

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Thanks Guys, Sorry to be such a pain. I believe I found that wire but it don't look like the picture on page 9. But it's all good. I will just cut this one and use the 2 plugs. No problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 16

eric0o1

sorry, but this is a first time for me seeing that. Talking to production now about this switch from individual connectors or if this was a material shortage issue.