• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BP 306 swap

Vincen

I am looking at the Blueprint Bronco Edition 306 for my 70. I have an explorer S belt setup and am not sure what to use to keep it cool. Is the Explorer fan/ clutch adequate or should I upgrade to a electric fan?

SavageBurro

I like the explorer clutch fan better than any electric fan and yes it should work nicely assuming all other aspects of cooling are good.

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

Thanks Savage! I was hoping for that answer. My current cooling system has worked flawlessly for the past few years. I may choose to upgrade my radiator at the time of the swap.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I don't consider an electric fan an upgrade to a trail rig. For a street rig I've yet to see an aftermarket electric fan that I'd consider using. Go with an OEM electric that has a large enough fan to span the radiator's width or don't bother.

An aluminum radiator is not an upgrade either. I've yet to see one in a vehicle that didn't come that way that worked well long term. Long term to me is years, plural.

The water pump design used in the Exploder set-up looks to me like someone at Ford finally put real thought into that part of the system.

MidwestTexan

Vincen,

Did you end up getting the BP 306 Bronco Edition? I'm considering this engine too and wanted to get your thoughts... It's between this and rebuilding a 351w that I got pretty cheap.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Vincen - The Water Pump in the Explorer Serpentine System requires a special Timing Cover. Either have Blue Print install one with the new crate motor or have the Explorer Specific Timing Cover installed after delivery.

The Explorer Serpentine System is one of the best cooling systems there is for the Early Bronco. Pretty straight forward install and all Ford Parts which are readily available. i'd skip the Electric Fan.

OP
OP
Vincen

Vincen

Midwest Texan

I am still piecing together my build and haven't pulled the trigger yet. The more I think about it the more I like rebuilding my 2000 Explorer 5.0. I have been running it with a carb while waiting to get the computer reflashed and harness modified. Good luck.

jagbucket

think you want the metal fan off earlier explorer. Im running the plastic and seeing small cracking around the hub area or just get a new plastic oem

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the plastic fans develop cracks, sometimes fairly quickly.
More like "checks" than cracks though, from the ones I've seen. And I don't remember ever hearing of one fail. Have you? Does anyone remember any stories of the Explorer fans failing?
Even in all the bazillion miles that Explorers were driven, I don't remember it being an issue. But maybe I just wasn't paying attention to that at the time.

I have both fans, but not sure which one I'll run. Got a plastic one on the '68 right now and will keep it that way.

Paul